The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Posts from "EIC Results" not posting results

Thanks to all of you for posting the results...............sooner.............or later
    Last edited by Sniper; 08-25-2008 at 09:55 PM.

Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    So, it is now a commercially available test!

Please feel free to post your EIC results under this sticky heading.

Please also be sure of any information you post as fact about genetic science. It may not be readily evident, but I do get contacted behind the scenes by concerned parties. The concern is valid and centers around misinformation getting posted on widely-read threads, which then becomes generally accepted as fact. Sometimes it is no big deal. Other times, it really can mis-serve the purpose of the board by propogating misinformation. So please, if you are going to cite statistics, factual scientific genetic info, etc. please have some science or valid reference to back it up.

In short, as always, please be accountable for the information you post on RTF. Please also remember that the EIC test just came out as commercially available. Be considerate to others in the manner in which you present your results, please.

Also, I want to clarify that I have not at all had issue with any of the folks at the Univ. of MN. It has been a while, but I have spoken with some of the folks there, long ago when the test was under development. They have NEVER contacted me with any issue about some of the misinformation that folks have posted on RTF. I'm not saying that they never will, but so far, they have not. Nonetheless, please be mindful that the paragraph in bold is followed. Thanks!

Thanks! Chris

(My apologies to Mark Sehon. I tried to merge his results into this thread and I botched it all up! So I have tried to restore his results thread to its original condition.)
    Good points, Chris.

Speaking only for the ACC (I'm Health Committee Chairman), we do maintain our own database of DNA test results (this includes EIC). We DO NOT accept internet postings as proof of a dog's having been tested. In order to list a dog in the database, a copy of the results has to be forwarded to the HC liaison who manages the database. This can be a copy of the certificate, or a copy of the e-mail notification (OptiGen sends e-mail notification of results before they send the certificate).

I would suggest for both Lab AND Golden folks who are grappling with DNA-based tests for the very first time, that you receive any posted results as interesting information only. I would not base any breeding decisions on something posted on a website, either here or on Good Dog. No, it's not that I think people are liars, but stuff gets jumbled some times (especially when you are typing results for a whole list of dogs), typos happen, etc!

If you truly want your dog's status to be recorded, I suggest that the requisite forms be filled out and sent to OFA. OFA has their uber-database, and will issue a number to your dog, and enter your dog AND its pedigree information into their database. This is a much more official and secure (nobody can modify your dog's record) way to impart this information. Also, it's more permanent. Not to mention, non-judgemental.

Just musings from someone who has gone down this road now for the fourth time...

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Any Reports on Chopper, with all of the breeding that he has been doing.

Lisa wrote: In order to list a dog in the database, a copy of the results has to be forwarded to the HC liaison who manages the database. This can be a copy of the certificate, or a copy of the e-mail notification (OptiGen sends e-mail notification of results before they send the certificate).
    We do the same in LabraData. Any test claim that is not in OFA requires a copy of the report. Owners can submit "anecdotal" health information (dog had intermittent lameness) without any supporting document, but even health reports require a vet or similar statement to be considered "verified". I'm really glad the Chessie folks opted for a verified database - it is a bit more work, but worth all the effort!

If you are worried donít breed to him. Dog throws winners. EIC/CNM testing is good for the breed I agree. The deeper we dig we will always find something wrong. Dogs, horseís bad handlers whatever.
    If i wanted it to be easy i would have bought a black dog. (i would like to retract this statement-i own one) Rocky Hill Retrievers

Hey Keri

Sorry to read your pup has it too, you have really had some bad luck with EIC. I hope Newt comes out clear for you.

Kris
    BLACKTAIL LABRADORS

"I never feel bad for myself" - Charles Barkley

If you are worried donít breed to him. Dog throws winners. EIC/CNM testing is good for the breed I agree. The deeper we dig we will always find something wrong. Dogs, horseís bad handlers whatever.

Bravo, good answer. Who said anything about breeding to him. This thread is to post results of the current testing, not to post opinions about who throws winners and who doesn't. I have a Chopper pup, no matter how good he is if he goes down with EIC he won't be winning SH--.

Just currious if any results were known, no need to get your back up.

MAD MALLARD

Posts: 19 Any Reports on Chopper, with all of the breeding that he has been doing.

Bravo, good answer. Who said anything about breeding to him. This thread is to post results of the current testing, not to post opinions about who throws winners and who doesn't. I have a Chopper pup, no matter how good he is if he goes down with EIC he won't be winning SH--.

If i wanted it to be easy i would have bought a black dog. (i would like to retract this statement-i own one) Rocky Hill Retrievers

MAD MALLARD

Posts: 19 Any Reports on Chopper, with all of the breeding that he has been doing.

Please !!!!!!!!-if you ever come to TX look me up 512-947-8184 mike page