The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: double Handling in the Seniors

Default double Handling in the Seniors

Hey guys

Is there a rule on Double handling in seniors?? I Always thought that you could only handle once on either series. Well This weekend had proved me wrong. I watched someone get a ribbon and the person handled on the memory marks on both series. I could understand if they were really clean fast handles but they weren't. I'm Just curious. Thanks
    Chas
    Lavender's Real Gurlz Go Huntin' " Indy "

No rule but usually grounds for no ribbon. However I did pass a dog that had 2 handle last year. Had a good clean handle on the land OO flyer and while on his way to the memory bird on the water series and just about to it, a family of geese decided to swim out of the creek ino the pond we were in and into the direct line of the dog. We told him to do what was needed to get the bird. So a hard whistle and pause, coupled with a hard back put him the final 10 yds to the bird and avoided the geese. We both agreed teh line the dog was on would have put him right on the bird. So it can happen, but it is rare.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

So in other words the dog can't do a double which is a requirement for a senior dog. Great....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Golddogs sounded like a valid exception for the normal unwritten "rule". However, in general, the dog should be able to pick up a double clean in at least one serries of the seniors. bud

I've run a lot of SH tests over the past 8 years, never saw a double handle pass but as Golddogs said, there are exceptions for extenuating circumstances. Can't imagine handles on both memory birds as you described being considered a pass but maybe there were other considerations, who knows. Many won't pass a MH that handles twice, some will, just depends. Only in JH is it specified only can handle on one mark. On the flip side, when I did my first SH dog, my then trainer told me never to handle on a mark because no way should a dog be running that can't do a double, so the two tests my dog failed were because I called him in when he didn't get the memory bird and I never tried to handle him. Now, I handle when needed and let the judges judge, but so far, have never passed either a MH or SH test with two handles on marks.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

No rule, but in my book, absent a really unusual circumstance, you will not get a ribbon in Senior from me with more than one handle.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

No rule about 2 handles, but I agree that a senior dog better at least be able to pick up one double clean.
    I passed a MH with 2 handles before, actually a couple of times, but BIG difference in a delayed quad or even a triple than a double and I can see it happening in a MH but not a SR
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

What really cracks me up is at nearly every judge's scenario before a test, MH or SH, a handler seems to ask if they will get dropped if they handle on more than one mark. I've never yet heard a judge answer black and white, yes or no, nor would I expect them too, but someone always has to try it, I guess.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LavendersLabs View Post
    Hey guys

Is there a rule on Double handling in seniors?? I Always thought that you could only handle once on either series. Well This weekend had proved me wrong. I watched someone get a ribbon and the person handled on the memory marks on both series. I could understand if they were really clean fast handles but they weren't. I'm Just curious. Thanks
    Chas

I don't know what the circumstances were or which dog you are referring to, but having been at Pepper's all weekend, ALL the tests were on top of each other.

So its possible a dog HEARD an errant whistle and the dog sat and the handler was forced to handle.

If you really want to know the answer, why didn't you ask the Senior Judges on Saturday?

Several dogs got ribbons in Master with two handles. Normally you wouldn't but this weekend's test, very very few dogs got through without at least one handle.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    So in other words the dog can't do a double which is a requirement for a senior dog. Great....

/Paul
    Agree with /paul. With all due respect-it's not a Derby where the dog is really asked to go the distance in terms of trainabilty, marking, etc. That said-counting to two in AT LEAST one series (preferably both series) should be a minimum requirement for a Senior dog.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)