RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dislocated hip in a retriever…

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Cresthill 
#1 ·
I still cannot believe how this happened. But I just got home; let the dogs out of the truck to go to the back-yard. As we are walking to the back Ace is running around peeing on everything. His normal mood of speed is about 100 m.p.h. So he is quick. I see he come running around a bush and he takes a small leap but when he comes down he lets out this big scream. He did not roll or crash, just started screaming. He would not put any weight on it; I did not see anything broken.
I put him in a crate for about 5 minutes and put the rest of the dogs in the yard. Headed to the vets office, about 2 miles away. He tells me it is dislocated and needs a Devit pin to help it cure. My vet is the local DU rep so he knows about retrievers and their daily lives so I trust him.

My question is this, as anybody had this happen to them? What kind of recovery time did you really see? They are telling me 6 weeks.

Any kind of info would be great.

Paul Kartes

#2 ·
One of my Labs had a dislocated hip one time. She was probably 10 years old at the time. I remember it being a nightmare as far as her recovering. They had her hip wrapped in some kind of brace and I had to help her do everything including go to the bathroom. We got pretty good at the wheel barrow race. I don't remember having to that for anymore than week. But, she didn't have to have a pin like you said yours was going to have to have. Hope it goes well.

#3 ·
But, she didn't have to have a pin like you said yours was going to have to have. Hope it goes well.
The pin is supposed to be better than the brace you are talking about. The feel he will get a better recovery with the pin. I guess it is along the same idea.

It is killing me he was going to run his first Master in two weeks.

#4 · (Edited)
Had this happen to the first Lab I ever owned YEARS ago. She was about 2 years old when it happened. I am sure vet medicine and the treatment of such an injury has changes substantially since then. The vet was able to reposition the hip back into place and her leg was in a sling for about 6 weeks.

She didn't require assistance with the potty duties or anything else. She actually taught herself how to go up stairs on only three legs. She would go up BACKWARD.... it was the most hilarious thing in the world to watch.

After the sling came off and muscle tone came back there were no other issues. She went on to be one of the best "Agility Dogs" ever made. And she would still humor us with her BACKWARD stair climbing trick every now and then. I smile every time I think about it. She lived to be almost 12 with no apparent orthopedic issues.

I hope your boy recovers fast and fully.

Wendy Bonello
Cresthill Kennels
________
VTX1300CX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.