The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: You place them

Default You place them

Derby Stake - I will stick with the 7 dogs that finished. By nice marks I mean the dogs took good line to mark and had no hunt. Excellent marks means you could draw a straight line from the mat to the mark. First 2 series marks were not very challenging and most dogs did them pretty well. 3rd series was short mark first followed by long flyer; most handlers opted to primary select the short mark and take the flyer as a memory bird. Dogs #1, 3 & 4 took long flyer first.

Dog #1 - 1st series - nice marks; 2nd series - nice marks; 3rd series - controlled break on 1st bird (judge actually waited until handler had dog back in heel before calling for 2nd bird which was the flyer) - nice marks; 4th series - minor cheat on go bird, took both pieces of water on 2nd bird, came up a little wide but went straight to mark.

Dog #2 - 1st series - nice marks; 2nd series - excellent marks; 3rd series - nice marks - no hunt on long bird; 4th series - minor cheat on go bird; took both pieces of water on 2nd bird, came up a little wide but went straight to mark.

Dog #3 - 1st series - nice marks; 2nd series - nice marks; 3rd series - nice marks - no hunt on long bird; 4th series - minor cheat on go bird; took first piece of water, cheated around 2nd piece of water (shallow cove); went straight to bird

Dog #4 - 1st series - nice go bird; moderate hunt on memory; 2nd series - excellent marks; 3rd series - hunted short in water, then went straight to long bird, good short bird; 4th series; slightly more of a cheat on go bird; cheated both pieces of water on memory but went straight to bird.

Dog #5 - 1st series - nice marks; 2nd series - nice marks; 3rd series - came up out of the water on the long mark on the correct side of the guns, but went deep and had a very big hunt, behind the guns and deep of the mark, eventually found the bird; 4th series - only dog to take correct line to go bird; took 1st piece of water, cheated 2nd piece of water and came up a little wide, but went straight to bird.

Dog #6 - 1st series - nice mark; 2nd series - nice marks; 3rd series - came up on the correct side of the guns, but went deep and had a moderately long hunt (not as big as dog #5); 4th series - minor cheat on go bird; took both pieces of water on memory, came up a little wide, but went straight to bird

Dog #7 - 1st series - nice marks, 2nd series - nice marks; 3rd series - came up wide to the right of the mark and went deep, had a very long hunt, longer than dog #5 but eventually came up with bird; 4th series - hooked gun station on the go bird; took both pieces of water on memory bird and went straight to bird.

I was not judging this stake but here are my placements:
    1st place - Dog #2
    2nd place - Dog #3
    3rd place - Dog #1
    4th place - Dog #6
    RJAM - Dog #5
    JAM's to Dogs #4 & 7

Here are the actual placements
    Dog #1 was given first place
    Dog #2 was given second place
    Dog #6 was given third place
    Dog #7 was given fourth place
    Dog #3 was given RJAM
    Dogs #4 & 5 were given JAM's

Go figure!
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Sounds like there was not enough test to get good separation which can lead to dogs being placed based upon personal preference of style, lines run etc because there is littler discernable difference in the marking ability of several dogs.
    David Didier, GA

I would agree with the first three places, I think I would have more put #5 and #7 in JAMS.
    IMHO,

Abby
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

Granddaddy - that was indeed part of the problem. None of the 4 series really had enough of a challenge to show good marking ability. At the end of the 2nd series, I could see no real separation in the dogs. It almost seemed to me that the dogs were judged on the last mark. Any dog taking both pieces of water placed, despite their earlier performances. It was quite an interesting day.
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I care more about how well the dog marked than if it takes a couple of pieces of water, especially in a Derby. Obviously tougher tests would have helped. If time permitted, another series would be a nice option.

Hard to say unless you actually held the book. Everyone's memory is a little different.

John