The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOING POSTAL! EIC related

Default GOING POSTAL! EIC related

I get my pups blood drawn on Friday. Boxed it up real good with a big cold pack and a Styrofoam container for the blood vial from the vet. Go to the post office and advise them that the blood needed to reach its destination no later that Tuesday (today). Was advised that priority shipping would do the trick (weekend included) and that it would arrive at the U of M Monday. Checked the tracking info with the USPS Rep from the 800 # and was advised that the service that I paid for might not get to its destination until THURSDAY and anything after that would be considered late. I'll fight that battle later. Has anyone had there blood take longer to get to the U of M than it should have? What happened? How long does the blood last before it is no longer usable for testing. I iced it down pretty good. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Danny

Considering they can use DNA samples from blood at a crime scene days or weeks (or even more!) later, I think you'll be just fine. Obviously the fresher the better to avoid DNA from breaking down, but it shouldn't be a big deal. It sounds like you did everything you could to ensure it got there in as good of shape as possible.

I think it took something like 3-5 days until I heard that the samples arrived. Some of that could have been that my package arrived and was put in a fridge prior to being processed/entered into the system, but still...

You’ll get nothing form the post office if it is “late” Priority is not a guaranteed service, even the claim on 3-5 days is only a “suggested” timeframe. I worked in a PO when I was in college and got these complaints all the time. Even Express mail is not always a guaranteed overnight service depending on where it is going, although it is guaranteed to arrive when they say it will (most is overnight, but some is 2 days). I use to tell people if it “absolutely has to be there overnight” go down the street to FedEx.
    Sorry and I hope it gets there fine and it is still useable. Next time, however, spend the few extra bucks and send it overnight. IF this is no good when it gets there think how much more it cost you to take a chance on a cheaper service. Sorry do mean to scold, just saying….
    BTW- I ship specimens on a pretty much weekly basis and always use FedEx because I know it is going to get there no matter what.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Told em what it was and why it needed to get there no later than Tuesday. They told me it would be there on Monday. I figured that still gives me an extra day. It's there house not mine. I'm not in the business of telling people what they know. Nothing is guaranteed but the point is the info that was given to me at the counter was flat out incorrect. That's the difference. I'm not one to roll the dice to save a few bucks. Asked all the right questions including how the weekend could affect shipping and was told the express service that "they" recommended would be fine. Honestly I really will give a sh** less about the shipping as long as the sample can be tested. I guess we'll see. Anyone else have info on how long the blood can last?

Danny
    Last edited by DSO; 09-16-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Never use the US Postal Service with priority packages.

Try explaing to a customer that his check was sent priority mail and it will be there in a day or two...maybe.

USPS has messed me around for the last time.
    Last edited by Patrick Johndrow; 09-16-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSO View Post
    Told em what it was and why it needed to get there no later than Tuesday. They told me it would be there on Monday. I figured that still gives me an extra day. It's there house not mine. I'm not in the business of telling people what they know. Nothing is guaranteed but the point is the info that was given to me at the counter was flat out incorrect. That's the difference. I'm not one to roll the dice to save a few bucks. Asked all the right questions including how the weekend could affect shipping and was told the express service that "they" recommended would be fine. Honestly I really will give a sh** less about the shipping as long as the sample can be tested. I guess we'll see. Anyone else have info on how long the blood can last?

Danny

Should be no problem with using the blood Even if it takes abother week you should be ok. Like I said didn't really intend to scold you. Just know that most in the PO just don't care. I know the short time I worked there made me understand why the term going "postal" came about. Customers drive them crazy and it is a thankless job. At some point most of them just give up giving a crap....
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

no worry--you'll be fine. I've shipped all blood samples using priority service. The blood will be fine.

Thanks for the info BBG / No offense taken. Just PO'ed because this was totally avoidable. When the sample gets there I may try and call and let the lab know what happened. Thanks for the responses all.

Danny

I ship USPS all the time, a lot. Generally priority works pretty good. It should get there Tuesday, probably Monday. On something like that you should always make sure you get tracking-it's free if you use click and ship online. Even though I was only one state away and could have used priority, I used Express and it got there the next day. It is true that many times Express will be two days and priority will be the same. It should be fine. I've gotten better advice from the post office I use, (not my own PO but one that's more efficient and closer), than the 800#.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Exactly Patrick! We paid for next day arrival....and it didnt make until the second day.Luckily it did not get too hot to test.