The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Since I posted this 'over there'... gdg

Default Since I posted this 'over there'... gdg

..For those of you wondering "Now what?", this may be of interest.

This is not for everyone...consider it investor GDG...but I've gotten some good info from this group over the years, and I rather enjoy the musings of Mr. Bonner.

UB

This has been a very good week for us. We can’t remember when we’ve laughed so hard.
    “We’re not going to Christmas tree this bill,” was how one senator – we think it was Chris Dodd – described how Congress would deal with the bailout plan.
    We had never heard “Christmas tree” used as a verb. But leave it to a Washington hack to turn Christendom’s sentimental icon into a lobbyists’ grabfest. The boys on the hill began decorating the tree on Monday...they’ve been hanging baubles ever since. And according to today’s paper, they’ve agreed on the major issues; but they’re still going to take a few days to get the thing all trimmed out before it becomes law.
    The Dow shot up 196 points yesterday as investors waited for the lighting ceremony. Oil rose $2.26. Gold dropped $13 to $882. The dollar held steady – in the Gare Montparnasse we paid the same $7 for our cup of coffee and pain aux raisins as we paid a week ago. And the yield on short-term government paper – 91-day T-bills – fell to exactly 0.27%, which is to say, nothing at all.
    But getting back to the entertainment – everyone is getting in the act. Politicians, investors, comics...even the clergy. Yes, the archbishop of Canterbury said that men had put too much faith in the market...and that this faith had become a sort of “idolatry.”
    He thinks government should be held in higher esteem...while the decisions and plans of free men should be curbed. More regulation is needed, said he, praising Britain’s ban on selling financial firms short.
    Yes, dear reader, the poor Church of England has a fool as its top man.
    But you can hardly blame a man of the cloth for believing that markets have failed and that government must fix them; the idea is so widespread, he probably got it like one catches a cold or picks up a popular tune – that is, without having to think about it himself.
    When everybody thinks the same thing, no one is thinking. And now, everyone thinks the market screwed up...and the bureaucrats rush in to unscrew things.
    Typical is this from Garrison Keillor:
    “[T]hat’s why we need government regulators. Gimlet-eyed men with steel-rim glasses and crepe-soled shoes who check the numbers and have the power to say, ‘This is a scam and a hustle and you either cease and desist or you spend a few years in a minimum-security federal facility playing backgammon.’”
    Out on the prairie, one can imagine all sorts of things. But it’s not as if there were no bureaucrats on the job between 2000 and 2007. How does one imagine that these same regulators, who missed the biggest bamboozle in market history, are now going to be able to clean it up?
    How does a bureaucrat – charged with protecting the public’s money – recognize a scam more readily than an investor whose own money is on the line? What information does he have that is not available to the public? What theory does he follow that is unknown to investors? What meat does he eat...what wine does he drink...that prevents him from falling prey to from the delusions and temptations to which all flesh is heir?
    This is what Hayek termed the “fatal conceit,” that public officials – armed with the power to force people do to what they say – will do a better job of running things than people can do for themselves.
    Apparently, neither the masters of the universe on Wall Street, nor the geniuses at the rating agencies, nor the saints at the SEC...and certainly not the poor lumpeninvestor... understood what was going on. None had gimlet eyes. Instead, all their eyes bulged with admiration at the financial engineers’ handiwork...and with greed at how much money they could make.
    And now we find, on page one of today’s International Herald Tribune , the bureaucrats’ practical challenge. “What’s this stuff worth?” The Paulson plan puts $700 billion in the hand of GS14s, clerks, hacks and appointees. What are they supposed to do with it? Buy “assets” that Wall Street wants to dump.
    How are they supposed to know what it is worth? If they pay too much, the government takes a big loss. If they pay too little, at least according to the dim light coming from the Christmas treers, it won’t bail out Wall Street enough and the economy is likely to sink into recession.
    “The reality is that we are not going to know what the right price is for years,” the IHT quotes a portfolio manager.
    Isn’t it amazing how fast things change, dear reader? Only a few months ago every portfolio manager in the world would have deferred to the market. What’s something worth? Exactly what willing buyers will pay for it! Not a penny more. Not a penny less.
    But now we have a whole new theory...that the value of a financial asset is somehow unknowable...it is like the face of God...or the meaning of “is” – it floats in the ether; it plays cards with Jimmy Hoffa. According to this theory, the value of an asset is determined not by what willing buyers will pay for it...there is no such thing as a ‘market price.’ Instead, values are metaphysical...determined by what willing buyers MIGHT pay for years from now...if everything goes to plan.
    Henry Paulson says that the government might even make a profit. How might this occur? Well, the bureaucrats might turn out to be shrewder than the Wall Street pros. Prices set by bureaucrats (with money that doesn’t belong to them) will be better than those set by willing buyers and sellers!
    According to this new theory, the sellers don’t know what gems they are tossing out. You’ve heard of casting pearls before swine. According to the new theory, the pigs on Wall Street are casting out the pearls! And those canny bureaucrats are grabbing them up!
    Now, get this... “the recent turmoil on Wall Street may be followed by a $900 billion aftershock as bank debt comes due next year...”
    Oh happy day for the public sector...that great untapped reserve of investment wisdom.... Here comes more opportunity to buy up those pearls that the swine on Wall Street don’t want.
    Now things are going to get interesting. Add another trillion-dollar bill to Christmas tree...only months after they Christmas treed the last one. Turn on lights! We can hardly wait to see what this new Christmas treed-up world looks like.
    *** At least one person had something smart to say this week. Would you believe it, George W. Bush must have picked up the wrong speech on his way out of the door to the Capital. When he spoke on the debt crisis, his speechwriter actually seemed to know what he was talking about:
    “First, how did our economy reach this point?
    “Well, most economists agree that the problems we are witnessing today developed over a long period of time. For more than a decade, a massive amount of money flowed into the United States from investors abroad, because our country is an attractive and secure place to do business. This large influx of money to U.S. banks and financial institutions – along with low interest rates – made it easier for Americans to get credit. These developments allowed more families to borrow money for cars and homes and college tuition – some for the first time. They allowed more entrepreneurs to get loans to start new businesses and create jobs.
    “Unfortunately, there were also some serious negative consequences, particularly in the housing market. Easy credit – combined with the faulty assumption that home values would continue to rise – led to excesses and bad decisions. Many mortgage lenders approved loans for borrowers without carefully examining their ability to pay. Many borrowers took out loans larger than they could afford, assuming that they could sell or refinance their homes at a higher price later on.
    “Optimism about housing values also led to a boom in home construction. Eventually the number of new houses exceeded the number of people willing to buy them. And with supply exceeding demand, housing prices fell. And this created a problem: Borrowers with adjustable rate mortgages who had been planning to sell or refinance their homes at a higher price were stuck with homes worth less than expected – along with mortgage payments they could not afford. As a result, many mortgage holders began to default.
    “These widespread defaults had effects far beyond the housing market. See, in today’s mortgage industry, home loans are often packaged together, and converted into financial products called "mortgage-backed securities." These securities were sold to investors around the world. Many investors assumed these securities were trustworthy, and asked few questions about their actual value. Two of the leading purchasers of mortgage-backed securities were Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Because these companies were chartered by Congress, many believed they were guaranteed by the federal government. This allowed them to borrow enormous sums of money, fuel the market for questionable investments, and put our financial system at risk.
    “The decline in the housing market set off a domino effect across our economy...”
    Our president was on solid ground. He sounded as though he had been reading The Daily Reckoning , commented colleague Dan Denning. But then he stepped into the mush, claiming – along with everyone else – that a bailout is needed to put the economy back on its feet.
    “Our entire economy is in danger,” said the chief executive.
    And for once, the leader of the free world is correct. The U.S. economy is in serious danger. But you don’t have to go down with it. Protect your wealth – and still make a buck or two. Check out the Strategic Financial Survival Library .
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 09-27-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

You been gone all this time ... ya come back and start pulling pranks right off the bat.

There's a problem viewing this message.

Are you trying to access a message that's been moved or deleted? Try going to the folder it's in (e.g., Inbox, Trash) and selecting the message from there.
    If you've tried this, and relaunching Yahoo! Mail doesn't work either, feel free to contact Customer Care about Error Code 4.
    However, please note that messages deleted from the Spam folder are removed permanently and cannot be retrieved.

Thanks,
    The Yahoo! Mail Team

Welcome back,
    Quote = "Maybe the "nice and helpful" don't know enough to know the original poster is an idiot." Achiro_Jan. 09

I don't own a dog. I'm a cat person. I'm only here for the GDG!
    Formerly known as WAH, W, Dubya & Dubaya

Wow, I hope that's not the case for others, Art. It comes up and displays well for me. Are any others having a problem?

I could have copied it, but there are other links in that message that some might find interesting enough to check out.

Good to see you posting again. Keep expecting to see you on TV, at the final table, beating up on Daniel and the gang.

UB

wants me to sign in on to yahoo first
    Betty CLF (11/02/94-04/02/06)
    Heartland's Lazy Lightning, "Boozer" YLF

Got married, got a dog; got divorced...kept the dog!

Thanks for slapping me and making me understand the problem. The URL was sending you through my email address. I'll delete that and provide a copy. Thanks again for your patience.

UB

I waited all this time for THAT!!

Jeeze!!

To many words,, It'd take me a month to read all that!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Thats why PlayBoy is such a great Mag!
    It has interesting articles, that are well written,, but it also provides provacative scenery to keep ya in terested in turnin the page.

I got half way through Bills post,, and woke up in a puddle a drool on the keyboard!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Thats why PlayBoy is such a great Mag!
    It has interesting articles, that are well written
    Articles???
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013