The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell me how they feel about this breeding?

Default Can anyone tell me how they feel about this breeding?

I am looking for the Pro/Con's on this litter if anyone has experience with either dogs. I trust the person who introduced me to the litter but would like unbiased information about the litter possibilities and traits of the Sire/Dam.

Thank you in advance. If you would prefer to email me your response please do so at cbourgeois88@yahoo.com.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...opperxTuna.jpg

As long as the bitch has health clearances (including elbows) and is not vocal and/or wild, that is a very, very nice litter at a reasonable price. Chopper is the real deal as a stud.

Chopper tends to throw very high pups with marking ability that are extremely watery. His offspring can be vocal, though, and I wouldn't want one out of a really vocal or high rolling bitch.

On paper, the pedigree looks good. Chopper is extraordinary and Tuna is QAA from very strong lines. Lean Mac is grandsire to both sire and dam, which I view as a good thing. I would be happier if the dam had clearances for OFA Elbows, CERF, CNM, and EIC. As it is, it looks like she only has OFA HiP clearance. Fortunately, Chopper is CNM clear. I do not know if he is EIC Clear but have not heard of affected pups that he has sired so he may be.

Look at Good Dog info and see why the mom should be cleared on those tests.Good luck

That looks like a hell of a good price for that quality of breeding also. I am still seeing plenty of overpriced litters around.
    Proud home of:
    MHR Murphys Magnum of Walnut Creek "Maggie"
    MHR HRCH Murphys Chevy Bel Air "Chevy"

I always check the puppy ads in the local rag. Was very surprised to find black labs out of Fc Afc sire and dam for $350.

Thanks to those that responded. I do have a follow up question or two now that I read some of the responses.

1. Since when did all of these "clearances" come into play? The last lab I purchased was way back in 1997 out of GRHRCH UH Vedges Big Boy MH and I don't remember any of this stuff back then.
    2. To the person who responded with the vocal concerns of Chopper pups, how are those individuals dealing with that issue now and is it costing them in the trials and tests?

Thanks,

Chris
    Chris Bourgeois

Spending my life on what life should be spent for, spending time with family, laughing with friends and loving the heck out of my labs.

I have seen Tuna run and have trained with her. She's a very nice dog.

Doug has had bigger fish to fry with family health problems that have basically forced him to stop training her. If not, she would be an AA dog now, probably doing some good things.

I think this looks like an Outstanding breeding and a real bargain.

OFA Elbow and CERF (eye) certifications are not at all new.CNM (Centronuclear Myopathy) and EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse) certifications are much newer but very important. Both test for autosomal genetic traits that are fully preventable as long as one parent is not a carrier. Chopper is not a carrier for CNM and therefore the litter will not have affected dogs even if the dam is a carrier. Both Chopper and Tuna have known EIC carriers in their pedigrees and could be carriers. If both were carriers, the risk of an affected pup would be 25%.

Thanks for the info - Where do I find out if Chopper was tested and what the results are? And should I really be worried about this?
    Chris Bourgeois

Spending my life on what life should be spent for, spending time with family, laughing with friends and loving the heck out of my labs.