The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIRST TIME TRAINER...FAQs....

...I feel so wide-eyed and inexperienced...lol.... I really do appreciate the words of wisdom/advice!
    Brandi
    (Coopersmom08)

" What we can or cannot do, what we consider possible or impossible, is rarely a function of our true capability. It is more likely a function of our beliefs about who we are."
    Tony Robbins

Quick story:

Yesterday I threw a mark for my 13-month old dog in the neighbor's front yard and it landed right next to a ghost they have hanging in a tree for halloween. I sent the dog and she stopped about 20 yards short and looked at the ghost.

I said fetch and she went another 5 yards.

I said fetch again and she went the rest of the way and got the bumper and high-tailed it out of there.

She was not wearing an e-collar, but I think that is the kind of pressure/distraction that FF is supposed to help your dog work through.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    Quick story:

it landed right next to a ghost they have hanging in a tree for halloween.
    That's one I hadn't thought of yet.
    You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it

Hmm...now I have an idea... I'm thinking instead of testing Cooper's ffd skills at a hunt test, I'll go to Wal-Mart and visit the Halloween isle! If he'll retrieve a bumper with a ghost hanging above it - we've got it made! LOL!

Seriously, that story is actually a compelling reason for me to go back and visit the ff issue with him. He took issue a little while back with a sign placed in the yard from the lawn guy/company.
    Brandi
    (Coopersmom08)

" What we can or cannot do, what we consider possible or impossible, is rarely a function of our true capability. It is more likely a function of our beliefs about who we are."
    Tony Robbins

Go for it...have fun....I will warn you this is more addictive than crack cocaine and a whole lot more expensive....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom08 View Post
    Maybe he is that one in a million dog and I've been incredibly lucky, but this dog responds incredibly to positive reinforcement from me. So, using his personality, I was able to ff him by withholding praise/positive reinforcement. His 'pressure' - and need for relief thereof - was no positive reaction from me until he was steady and consistent. He has such a desire to please, it worked beautifully.
    Well, there ya go!! Give him lots of praise as he is returning and stop praising when he drops to shake. You'll probably be "incredibly" surprised at how quickly this solves your problem.

Now, I know some will disagree and say there is no way he is ffd from this... However, there is no distinction between Cooper and my husband's dog with regard to ff. His dog was ffd by a pro-trainer using the standard method(s) of physical pressure/lack thereof - and further conditioned by e-collar. You truly see no differences...
    So are you saying your husband's dog also drops his bird on the return??

Just askin'

Sarcasm aside, you've been given some good advice. Might want to consider it.

What are your goals for this dog?

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

LOL... point made. No, husband's dog doesn't stop to shake.

My goals for the dog? I want him to reach his full potential, whatever that may be. However, I never want "my" desire to see him achieve certain levels outweigh "his" desire and enthusiam. He is a momma's boy, sleep-on-the-bed, rides in the backseat "pet". That said, he also has too much raw potential/skill/intelligence - along with an intense desire to learn - for me to just let him lay around the house and not see where it can take him. At the same time, I have found that I love working with him - teaching him new things - seeing what new step he and I can accomplish together.

Obviously, I don't think I will be the next greatest pro trainer to come along... lol... But I am serious about learning to train and wanting to be his trainer/handler.
    Brandi
    (Coopersmom08)

Tony Robbins

Oh - and Bon M. - you're comment about being "addictive as [I]crack cocaine.." has a WHOLE new meaning for me now! LOL! (Take a look at my today's post under 'Tips for the first timer in hunt test'. I share only because I am able to laugh at myself....!
    Brandi
    (Coopersmom08)

Tony Robbins