The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Long Distance Lining!!

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Whitley View Post
    I may be doing things wrong, but if I had intentions of running the most difficult blind last and we screwed it up then I would do another blind that was easier. Maybe it wouldn't be the first/easiest one, but one that took out a factor or two. Or maybe run the hard one again from closer up taking out a factor that way. I hate ending anything on a bad note whether it be with my dog or my football team.
    I don't like ending on a bad note, BUT that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it once in a while. some days are just bad days...

If you are REPEATEDLY ending on bad notes, then there's a problem with either what you are setting up or how you are training...

-K

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post
    I don't like ending on a bad note, BUT that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it once in a while. some days are just bad days...

If you are REPEATEDLY ending on bad notes, then there's a problem with either what you are setting up or how you are training...

-K
    I agree,,,, A dog should progressively perform better with each blind when running multiple blinds. I will repeat and re-enforce a concept, but I will not make the last blind or the 2nd blind overly involved. I feel you have to make up your mind. Is the front of the blind difficult, the middle or the end? Maybe on the 3rd or 4th blind I'll make the beginning and the end of the blind difficult, with a repeating concept or theme. But, I will not make the whole blind overly involved...

Angie

Great information. I would be interested in Kristie or the others have changed their thoughts, over the past couple of year, on the advice above.

my problem with blinds is i have a 3 yr old that will sit when i say back and only on water blinds marks and casting not to many problems any advise? cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post

-K
    Strive for success! Simplify if you have to. Better dog attitude! Easier on you!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

This is a great thread.
    Thanks all. Im learning quite a bit.
    Now to keep working on the stopping and looking back at me.
    My trap goes out just a short distance, then stops and looks back. I tell him back again and off he goes.
    If he strays off the line, he takes casts great. Its just that stopping, unsure thing that bugs me.

I read through this thread and there was some really good stuff here.

I was curious that there seemed to be an objection to using blind poles to help with the momentum-building process. I use a plastic fence post covered with orange tape, but I have also seen various boards painted orange as well. I was advised that once you get out to around 100 yards, those poles would be a lot of help over the last third of the blind in building momentum and convincing him that if you say "back" something is out there to pick up.

Also, if no blind pole, how do you remember where the blind is? I have discovered that I am not a great marker and that the memory bird would knock me out of a lot of competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I was curious that there seemed to be an objection to using blind poles to help with the momentum-building process. I use a plastic fence post covered with orange tape, but I have also seen various boards painted orange as well. I was advised that once you get out to around 100 yards, those poles would be a lot of help over the last third of the blind in building momentum and convincing him that if you say "back" something is out there to pick up.

Also, if no blind pole, how do you remember where the blind is? I have discovered that I am not a great marker and that the memory bird would knock me out of a lot of competitions.
    I've learned over time, that no matter how distinctive a landmark looks to me when I am planting a blind, when I'm at the line with the dog I can't remember where it is. So I use blind stakes for me, not the dog. Some dogs are more easily able to pick them out than others, and for a more advanced dog, I learned some ways (from RTF actually) that you can disguise the stakes so they're less obvious to the dog, but still visible to you from the line. I too use the plastic fence stakes, but I decorate them with stuff I got at the crafts section of the dollar store; one has plastic ivy twined around it and some have plastic flowers/greenery taped on them. Easily visible to me, but not to the dogs. Also helps to place the stakes at an angle instead of straight up, this seems to make them blend in the surroundings more.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

What a great thread! I remember hanging on every word of it when I was working through this phase with my older dog. Now my youngest one is just about here and its a great refresher course. It is kind of sad though, that so many of the best contributors no longer post for various reasons. I miss not only their knowledge, but their patience and communications skills. No snarking or snarling or egos getting in the way.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com