The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Kristie, how's that chessie doing?

Default Kristie, how's that chessie doing?

Just wondering how FF is progressing...

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Kristie Wilder

He's ok... he got back late last week and I was gone to a HT, so today is his first lesson back on FF. He's on the truck right now. I had some stuff to do this morning to catch up and then I'm going out to do my FF lessons... I don't know... he hasn't tried anything... He did well with his owner who worked with him for about 5 days. We'll see how he does with me today.

-K

bump,
    still working McGrrrrrrrrrrruf?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Kristie Wilder

Yes, still working... I have new approach that I'm almost embarrassed to mention on here. LOL Force fetching with cookies... I'm thinking I'll feed him throughout the lesson... I'm going to try it tomorrow. He's ok. He has settled back down a bit. He isn't as agitated as he was....

I'm not kidding abou the cookies. I'm hoping they'll be a distraction. We'll see how it goes... I noticed that when he's in his kennel and knows cookies are coming he never resorts to his snottiness. AND even that seems to be getting better. He's doing less of the growling crap...

Anyway, nothing new and exciting to report. Just plugging along...

-K

Well the decrease in growling and general bratiness is certainly good news.

Ok, I will help you feel not so alone Kristie. I am correcting my hold issue with a clicker and treats. So far it's working like a charm. If you use the treats use a marker word too.

Good luck!

Kourtney
    Kiela
    Tigress Midnight Wind Stalker (pending)

Remington's Black Powder Jasper - Jasper
    February 25, 2004 - March 24, 2006

Boscoe
    March 15, 2006 - April 19, 2007
    http://boscoegrowsup.blogspot.com

I have a friend that says cheez-its work majic on a dogs brain .

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder View Post
    Yes, still working... I have new approach that I'm almost embarrassed to mention on here. LOL Force fetching with cookies... I'm thinking I'll feed him throughout the lesson... I'm going to try it tomorrow. He's ok. He has settled back down a bit. He isn't as agitated as he was....

I'm not kidding abou the cookies. I'm hoping they'll be a distraction. We'll see how it goes... I noticed that when he's in his kennel and knows cookies are coming he never resorts to his snottiness. AND even that seems to be getting better. He's doing less of the growling crap...

Anyway, nothing new and exciting to report. Just plugging along...

-K
    Don't feel embarrassed. Chessies are very amenable to bribery. It actually works quite well, and results in a very good attitude. As a breed, they are very much interested in what's in it for THEM. Up the ante, and you get more cooperation.

Wish more trainers (and by this, I mean owner-trainers) knew this. Most are happy to pour on the pressure because they want to show how "tough" their dog is. In reality, the dog is shutting down, not shutting out. I found out long ago, the bigger the reward (from the dog's perspective) the more pressure they are willing to handle. definitely more of a balancing act than with a well-bred Lab.

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

For what it's worth the pup i,m working with now I use sliced carrots doing the ff. when the pressure started to build up I just gave him some sliced carrots and all was well with the world. It all started with obedience training. We have moved on since then.