The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailering/trucking a dog trailer to TX from VT?

Default Trailering/trucking a dog trailer to TX from VT?

I have an 8 hole Deerskin trailer in great condition......except the frame. It's so badly rotten I can't use it on the highway.

Deerskin can put a new frame under it and repair some other issues but being in VT with a non-road worthy trailer that needs to go to TX poses a problem.

Does anyone have experience with hiring a trucking/trailer and shipping something that large that far? If so, I'd really appreciate your input.

Also if there is a skilled fabricator [in the Northeast] that could do the work I'd be interested in knowing about them.
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Isn't Mountaintop closer to you?
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Depending on the size of the Deerskin....you could always put it up on a flatbed trailer....I'd recommend a gooseneck, say 18-20 ft, and haul it down there. You'll need a pickup with a gooseneck hitch(easily installed), but the GN will be a LOT more fuel efficient than a bumper pull.

Actually, any good welding/fabrication shop should be able to do the job. Or any trailer sales dealer will at least know of a welder if they don't do it themselves.

Here's one in NH....http://www.mountaintoptrailers.com/
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

M-top didn't want to fool with it but thanks.

I have a gooseneck but I've driven from Vermont to TX and I really don't want to do it again.
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

http://c-klord.com/index.html Check out these folks. They are in Cambridge Md., about a 12 hour drive from Morrisville
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Used to be in the business and the cost for hire to transport the trailer will be more than the repair cost. 6-8 years ago I shipped my 6 hole trailer from OK to OR. I got a super deal and it still cost me $900. My guess to hire a trucker with a flatbed trailer will cost you around $2000 at todays prices. Then you still need to find some place with a dock or fork truck to load it. If you decide to go that route PM me and Ill see if I can get it done. Then you still need to get it home.
    Can't believe there isn't a fabricator in your area that can do the job. Im sure somebody close can do it and would save a bundle of money.

Just googled VT Metal Fabricators.
    http://www.thomasnet.com/vermont/met...0550409-1.html
    If you can't find someone here check with the steel companys that sell the metal. Bet they can give you a few names.

Alec
    Try Bob's Welding in Lyndonville.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Alec,

I just went thru this about 2 months ago. You can go to the sight called USHIP and describe what you are looking for and what you need done and put a max price of what you are looking for and let folks bid on the job. I had some one tow a goose neck trailer with a dressing room and the end back full of household items from Chazy NY to Ft Collins CO. I would stick to the ones who have a DOT number.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Sparks View Post
    Also if there is a skilled fabricator [in the Northeast] that could do the work I'd be interested in knowing about them.

over in Monkton there is a very talented fellow named Tom Burritt. he can do anything with metal. works out of his home on covered bridge rd. does a lot of stuff for the antique car folks. does custom stainless steel fabrication. even works on horse trailers. repaired a sugaring pan on a moments notice for a friend of mine. so close you could possibly ride a horse over, but definitely worth a phone call. You know covered bridge rd.?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin