The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craniomandibular Osteopathy

That is an excellent report, how wonderful for both of you, congratulations.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Wow, what a scarey thing to have to go through. I am glad she is getting better! Good luck with your training!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Glad to hear of the outcome. I'm sorry I missed the original thread. My husband, John, had a Lab puppy diagnosed with craniomandibular osteopathy by our vet (before I met him or she became "our" vet). The vet made some fairly dire predictions and wanted to do more tests (possibly a biopsy) but John, if I recall correctly, declined the additional tests and took the dog home. Some time later (months) the dog recovered. Sounds a bit like Molly's case history, but without the definite diagnosis.

Amy Dahl

What great news!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Susan, Good news.

Wonder when a DNA test will be available for the condition? Any word on the progress of the test through terrier breeders?
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Susan, How is Molly doing now?? I am very curious. I have spent the past 2 days at the vets (& two different vet office's), with my 14 wk old yellow Labrador, Ruca. This afternoon we finally feel like the vets have come to a diagnostic of Craniomandibular Osteopathy, but will not know for sure until the blood results come in, which takes 7 days.
    I would love to hear about how Molly is this many years later. I see the last post was from 2009, so who knows, you may not even see this, but it's worth a shot.

Hi, I'm Susan's husband, Paul.

I posted this on POTUS a couple of months ago......

Not a placement, but I'm pleased
    Molly has completed her HRCH Title!

Diagnosed with CMO as a puppy, she was not expected to live to see her 1st birthday. We were told that even if she did, she probably would not be able to perform as a working retriever. She beat all the odds, and while she was THE most difficult (stubborn) dog I have trained, she taught me quite a few things along the way. Her stubborness is probably why she survived. I am proud to say she is working with me at last and that she will be able to assume the duty of chief hunting dog next season. I plan to pursue the MH title with her, as well.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Paul,
    thank you for the update! I am so glad to see that she continues to do well & gives me hope for my little Ruca. What treatment did you do for her & how long? Did your vet suggest that you take her to a orthopedist or did you decide that on your own, to get her the best care?
    Thanks for the info, I hope you don't mind me asking!

Ashlei

We were fortunate to have easy access to the Veterinary staff at Tufts University.

Her treatment consisted of pain relief (Rimadyl) thru the completion of bone growth. Susan spoon fed her high quality dog food reduced to the composition of gruel thru the worst of it. Had her condition progressed to the point of fusing her jaw, or had the lesion in her Cranium gotten worse, we would have had to euthanize her. There is little that can be done to treat this condition, we were told.

The thread on potus has more information, as well as photos of Molly. It can be found on page 5, near the top.-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 08-16-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: more info
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Thanks Paul!! I guess I should have used "therapy"instead of treatment. I have been told they either grow thru it or don't make it. I am very lucky at this point, that Ruca still can eat & drink fine. Her jaw is swollen though. She is on Rimadyl too, also antibiotics. She got an anti-inflammatory yesterday at the vets & that has helped a lot. Did Molly have any complications with her front paws? Ruca's front legs, swelled up rather large.