The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Won't They Eat?

Talking What Won't They Eat?

Now I've seen everything. My lab has always loved vegetables, especially red bell peppers. He will choose a slice of pepper over a hamburger if offered both. This morning I was eating a grapefruit from our little tree in the front yard, (Ruby Red to be precise) and Indy started nosing me for a taste. I laughed and said "you are going to be sorry" and gave him a small bit. He kind of flinched when he swallowed it, but next thing I know here is the paw in my lap begging for more. He ate two more pieces and would have snarfed down the whole thing if offered!

Just wondering what other weird food choices you all have seen from your dogs? Now I'm not talking about the stolen socks, gulped gravel and bitten boots, just real food choices!
    Last edited by 2tall; 10-26-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have never seen my dog Guinness turn down ANYTHING but BREAD is by far his favorite.

He'll eat watermellon to the rind then I take it away b/cI am sure he'd eat that too.

Cute story carol.

Hey - dont 4 get to PM me your address so that I can send you those coupons.
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Nestle will eat anything except lettuce - but she'll take it and mull it around for awhile if she sees Twig getting some. She loves crab apples, and when they are in season she'll pick them right off the tree.... she only eats the bruised ones on the ground if there are no fresh ones within reach. (She also used to dig her own carrots and steals cucumbers from the garden but that has been stopped

Twig eats almost everything (including lettuce) but spits out the leafy part of celery. The one thing they both won't eat (much of) is anything soaked in vinegar - like my left over french fries.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC MGDC SGDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor CRNCL, Jet and Glitzy CRNMCL
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Tomatoes....they all absolutely love them. They can tell the moment I slice into one. I fenced in the garden to keep them away from the plants and came home one day and all had found a way in. None left.

And a field we walk in on some USDA land had a small garden plot on it with tomato plants. I always had to take a very long way around it and even then they would sometimes get a whiff and be gone straight to them.

They will eat pretty much any vegetable, no need for a garbage disposal in my house.

Jean

Jrocket

Beau catches grapes from 25 yards out, strange game really dont even know how it started but it will go on as long as I'll throw them

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
    Beau catches grapes from 25 yards out, strange game really dont even know how it started but it will go on as long as I'll throw them
    Careful, grapes are considered poisoness to dogs, as are raisens, onions, and some other common food stuffs like chocolate.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Ditto on the grapes Jrockett. My old lab liked them too but I was told by my vet that they could be toxic even in small amounts. But that old dog sure loved to catch them. We had to trade the grapes for popcorn, and that satisfied him. He could catch a pop corn piece from 10 feet away
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My dogs love oranges and due to the fact that they like to "pick their own" we have to clean off the trees as soon as they're ripe. They still jump 5 feet in the air to "steal" from the neighbor's tree. The funny thing is they know the good part is the inside. So they use their front teeth to tear away the peel and eat the flesh inside. The yard will be littered with orange peels in another month!

Re: grape and raisin toxicity

WSU vet school had an article on this in their summer newsletter. Here is the link to it, see page 2.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vth/...mmer2008CP.pdf

My one dog refuses to even touch a banana! She will eat anything else but the second you try to give her a banana she will either look away or lay down.