The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonus Fun While Training

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Default Bonus Fun While Training

I was training at one of my ponds last evening, just running blinds not firing off any marks. This is a pond that we have had permission to use for over 7-8 years now and have actually used it longer than that. It is in an area that has several “estate homes” near by and recently some condos were built right behind it. Anyway, last night I had just started running a blind with one of my dogs when I hear a woman’s voice shouting “do you have to do that here?” Since my dog was in mid swim I didn’t even turn my head and shouted back “why yes I do thank you for asking”. The woman proceeded to ask me “do you know you are very annoying?” Again without even looking her way I responded “why yes I do, and I suppose you will find me to be annoying for about another hour”. Her next statement almost made me fall over, “do you realize you are hurting your dogs ears with that whistle?” My reply was “no but thanks so much for that information, do you have some literature to back that claim up”? Next she got personal “why don’t you spend the money to send you dog to a trainer”? I told her I was too poor and stupid to think of something like that. She went on to shout that she was calling the police and I asked if she was going to call them and tell them I was hurting my dogs ears, that I was a bad trainer, or that I was just plain annoying? She had no response and came back out a few minutes later and told me the sheriff was on the way. I of course told her I truly hoped so because he is a buddy of mine and I had not seen him in a while. We trained for another hour plus and even called another training partner to come give us some backup if the po po showed up (note every time they do come out they end up watching the dogs and remark about how cool that is). When we got done we sat around the place for another good 45 minutes, well after dark, shooting the breeze and the cops never did arrive.
    Maybe I shouldn’t take pleasure in such exchanges but for some reason it really just made my night. I love how people can move into an area and think they own it and that stuff that has been going on for years should come to a halt because it is annoying to them. We had another woman tell us that we could not park in front of her house….of course we were parking in a pasture across the street and at least 400 yards form her house, but she too had determined she had rights to the property we were on even though it did not belong to her. God I love to hate annoying people like myself
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

These people need to just stay in the city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chaps my ass.
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Must have been right wing consertive, those folks can get nasty over such little things Bud

LOL i like that, glad i live in tx and not anywhere near austin! lol

I'm not trying to be warm and fuzzy here-& I realize I likely have one strike against me-being a Northerner! , but I too have a great property I'm allowed to use. The neighbor across the road has come across a couple times and it's clear that he'd be just as happy if I didn't train there. I've been tempted to have an exchange like yours-& I'm not saying I blame you, but I feel a responsibility to the land owner to be polite to people while on her property and it has led to the man across the street having a respect for what I do now. You never know when the person you insult may end up being a dear friend or relative of the landowner & good properties are hard to come by. Again-I've FELT the way you do, but it can come back to bite you if you express it!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Wonder who she'll be voting for this year.
    Rainbow's November Rain MH***
    Freeridin' Whiskey River Don't Run Dry***

was handling my first dog 14 years ago on a piece of property across from this lady's house. We were teaching not to run the banks without e-collars, handling are anything else I have since learned. Just me 2 friends and some cane poles. She comes out screaming and yelling. Calls the police. He (police Office) shows up with has lab and another pole to help me out. That was some funny stuff.

Cheers,
    Brad

I got yelled at by my neighbor with a nasty little black poodle for throwing a bumper from one end of my yard to the other and scaring her. She walked around the huge brush that ran adjacent to my fence just as two giant labs were running at the fence. She picked her nasty little dog up by the lead and took off running, screaming at me the whole time.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    I'm not trying to be warm and fuzzy here-& I realize I likely have one strike against me-being a Northerner! , but I too have a great property I'm allowed to use. The neighbor across the road has come across a couple times and it's clear that he'd be just as happy if I didn't train there. I've been tempted to have an exchange like yours-& I'm not saying I blame you, but I feel a responsibility to the land owner to be polite to people while on her property and it has led to the man across the street having a respect for what I do now. You never know when the person you insult may end up being a dear friend or relative of the landowner & good properties are hard to come by. Again-I've FELT the way you do, but it can come back to bite you if you express it!

M

Sometimes that is true M, but not in this case. While I did say I shouted it was shouting because of distance, not in anger. The guy with me said he couldn’t believe how calm I was about the whole thing. Mind you this all took place while one of my dogs ran a 250 yard water blind and I was more interested in watching my dog than dealing with her. This is not the first time the police have been called on us in this spot and the last time the person who called told the officer that those damn ATV’s and dogs are always disturbing us…. Well it turns out the guy who owns the land bought it so…you guessed it….he and his sons could rind their ATV’s on it. He has already told us to feel free to tell them to go to ….
    Also note that there are several homes and a church, we actually park in the church parking lot, that have been there for years and they all come over from time to time to watch the dogs and talk so I am not to worried about the new folks causing trouble for us. Additionally, my training partner has a standing offer to buy the property if the current owner ever sells it. I think we are OK
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

One of my my Bonus Fun sessions happened Saturday evening, when I was just running a few marks and blinds with BG and JJ. We were getting ready for BG's Senior Title Run and JJ's Junior Title Run, Sunday.

A couple of neighbor boys, one about 7 and the other one about 9 road by on their bikes and stopped and watched for a while. Then the younger one hollered to me "Hey are those real?" I replied back, "NO, those are robot dogs", he said, "I mean those ducks are those real ducks?" so I said, "no, can't use real ducks with robot dogs". They both just road off....

Marty
    Marty & Lesa
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-564-3560
    www.ramblinmaxx.com