RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Vet or Breeder help-prostate question

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  D Osborn 
#1 ·
Whistler is a 12 year old golden retriever. He had a terrible ear infection this summer, and then got sick on the antibiotics, so we switched from Cephalexin to Cipro, and he got better slowly.
In the mean time, Poppins comes in season. I only kept her home 7 days, then sent her to my Moms, then the vet. She came home the end of Sept, did not seem to bother Whistler or Carbon.
In October, he finished antibiotics, and a couple of days later was off again (walking funny and shaking his head), so we assumed the ear infection was back. He got better on cipro. He finished them Sunday, 36-48 hours later he is wobbly and uncomfortable. So, back to the vet today feeling very stupid just going on a 12 year old wobbly dog:confused:
Anyway, he was very uncomfortable when his prostate was examined, but other than that there are no clinical signs.
His urine was OK, his ear looks ok. He stands funny, is not comfortable sitting and just does not feel good-all of which started after coming off antibiotics.
I do not want to neuter him, as if Poppins clears I want to breed him to her, as he is still fertile. I am praying he will still be here!
So I called my UGA vet who went into his vet talk, which included using a P-drug, which makes the prostate smaller and also doing a fluid culture. He also suggested a ultrasound, which means I need to go to him, as it would be 500 dollars here:-x at the speciality clinic.
So, for you experienced people-where do I start? do I just treat the symptoms or look for the cause? can my local vet look at the fluid and see whatever is wrong, or do I need to just go down to UGA? He is a prior patient and I adore my vets there! but, I think he has to be off antibiotics to do that and I don't want him to hurt a second longer than he has to-he is on extra tramadol for a few days, but that doesn't help the unsteadiness:(
Thanks, sorry this is so long but he is a special little guy-

See less See more
#2 ·
Demi,

I'm of no help on your situation, just wanted to let you know I hope you figure things out.....I'll keep Whistler in my thoughts and prayers...

FOM

#3 ·
Thank you-he is such a brat! I was considering a puppy from a nice breeding his brother (Phoenix) just did, but after talking to some people who have Whistler kids found they are just as bad as he is. I love bad, and he is a people dog, as are his kids. Not to mention not many field goldens who are great with little yappy dogs in their face, puppies, and babies stuffing their fingers in his mouth ears and nose.
We got back from The Cloister at Sea Island where he made friends with a 2 two year old girl who came running to see him every day, and where he was stopped on a regular basis just to get pats. He had a blast, as the ONLY thing he would take over a child is a bird, and that would be close!
Anyway, thank you. He does not feel great tonight, I am guessing the exam stirred things up:rolleyes:

#4 ·
I had a dog in a lot worse shape as his testicle was highly swollen. I learned it is not uncommon after the age of 8 to have prostate infections. I was told the same scenario, and I opted to do antibiotics. He got the Cipro for maybe 2 full doses so a month. He then got 1/2 tab Ovaban every week. (not sure if that's still in vogue) .4 months later we rechecked him and his sperm count was high >700M and 95% motility. He sired litters. His testicle does have some scar tissue but the infection has not reoccurred.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks Nancy-
do you remember the dosage? That is one idea, as I know he can tolerate the cipro, and a little worried about the baytril dosage suggested-
He is 75 pounds-

#6 ·
He's about the same weight as Goose. 1-500mg tab 2X a day. It looks like he went for 21 days. The ovaban was 1/2 tab for 21 days then 1/2 tab weekly for 4 weeks.

#8 ·
Hi Anna, I suggested exactly that to Demi at first via email :)
But apparently the elderly dog has trouble under anesthesia so that is a last ditch option, they are trying to treat with drugs first.
--Anney

#9 ·
I just went through the whole prostate thing with my male earlier this year. We tried antibiotics, but there was no real improvement. My vet suggested Proscar, which is a human medicine that is very effective in dogs. It is off-label in dogs, but the initial animal research on the drug prior to it being approved for people was done on dogs. In the end I opted for a neuter.

Best wishes to your boy. My male was in a ton of pain from his prostate. I hope Whistler gets some relief.

Latisha

#10 ·
This really should have been hell of of week:(
Whistler is better. I have spoken with 2 repro vets and am going with what both suggested for now-6 weeks of cipro, then wait two weeks and see how things are.
However, I learned a lot. If the prostate problem is due to hormones, neutering would help. If infection, which his most likely is due to that he has had no prior issue and he responds to the antibiotics within 24 hours, then neutering would make no difference, and he would still have to be treated.
So, in the meantime, Poppins (the one in season 6 weeks ago) comes home and has a NASTY green discharge, so i have her at the vet in 13 minutes. Usually a 20 minute drive:rolleyes: They think it could be open Pyo, I am not convinced, as she won't pee. Either way, it is open, and we have time. So we blew her doors off with Baytril and Clavamox, and I am on the phone for the next three hours with a breeder and a vet at
Dr Hutchinson's, both of whom were awesome!!! They think she probably has vaginitus and a UTI, oh joy. BUT, the vet at Hutch's said we would know soon enough, as I would have a very sick dog by today, and then we would treat. But you don't want to treat if you don't have it. And my vet does not have an ultrasound, which would have fixed all these problems of not knowing.
So, Poppins feels better, her WBC was not as high as if she had PYO, and her urine was green, so we sent it off for a culture. So I will know more tomorrow.
Either way,will be doing prelims and breeding her based on everyone's recommendations!
Did I mention I am poor:( oh well, talked to Dr Hutchinson, have a plan for the next steps, and may be road tripping to Cleveland, as if I breed her to my 12 year old, we will do a side by side AI. If I do that, it will be a puppy for me! Oh joy.
So that is what has happened since Tuesday. And oh yeah, Carbon failed heeling in Open yesterday (bad funny dog) and sits/downs (yes both) today.

#12 ·
Thank you!
What I have been told is that is it is pyo, she would have gotten much sicker with the antibiotics. The repro vet said the only treatment for pyo is the l-drug, and they treat it differently now, a series of shots.
So, the antibiotics would make her much sicker which they have not.
The urine culture shows an e coli bacterial infection, and some blood. So we go back in the am for another CBC, and will decide if we are treating her with the right antibiotic, or need to switch to baytril.
Her 1/2 sister dropped dead about 2 months ago, we assumed it was the heat,(93 degrees in Sept, humidity unusual) but no necropsy was done. Poppins was in the same yard last week, makes me wonder. They are moving soon, which makes me happy.
Oh well, never a dull moment.
You know, if I had it to do over again, I would have taken her last week for an ultrasound, to get rid of the unknown. If she gets sick again, that is what i will do. I have learned a lot over the last week, and really am glad it was not at her expense.

#13 ·
....'And oh yeah, Carbon failed heeling in Open yesterday (bad funny dog) and sits/downs (yes both) today."

Demi....go to a Janice Gunn Workshop!!! :)

So glad you have a handle on things ("Whistler" and "Poppins")....more than your share of stuff all at once! ..pretty nerve wrecking..

Best,

Judy

#14 ·
Hey Judy-
Carbon did really well in what had been trained in:rolleyes:He did nice broad jumps, high jumps, retrieve on flat, and drop.
The heeling was my fault, as we had not practiced, and my last three lessons were canceled. :mad: Learned to practice and not wait for lessons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.