1) John Thune - SD has already had one major failure - though he was a D
    2) Haley Barbour - Barring something showing up, I could support that
    3) Tim Pawlenty - I'm sure the D's from the frozen North would love that
    4) Sarah Palin - IMO, Great Brand - little substance
    5) Mitt Romney - ?????????? I think he shot his wad in '08

No mention of Jindal or Mitch Daniels, apparently they are too short

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Some blog had the top 5 for '12

1) John Thune - SD has already had one major failure - though he was a D
    2) Haley Barbour - Barring something showing up, I could support that
    3) Tim Pawlenty - I'm sure the D's from the frozen North would love that
    4) Sarah Palin - IMO, Great Brand - little substance
    5) Mitt Romney - ?????????? I think he shot his wad in '08

No mention of Jindal or Mitch Daniels, apparently they are too short
    Jindal said he is not currently interested and plans on running for reelection as Gov.

I have yet to see any Republican that can unseat Obama. I just hope one emerges!

Palin or Huckabee would ensure an Obama landslide victory.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

Palin or Huckabee would ensure an Obama landslide victory.
    Why do you count Huckabee out?
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    Too nice of a man.
    Couldn't do what needs to be done to win.

Do not count Palin out.
    Obama is as looney to my side as Palin is to yours and he got elected.

RK
    Stan b & Elvis

Banned

If Palin gets to the primaries, I am changing my voter reg from Independent to Republican just so I can vote for her.

I think many would be concerned with him being a southern Christian and his ties with Evangelicals.

He is very smart but his FOX TV show is very boring, hence his poor TV ratings. I doubt he would appeal to younger voters, most men and woman outside of the deep south.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

I think many would be concerned with him being a southern Christian and his ties with Evangelicals.

He is very smart but his FOX TV show is very boring, hence his poor TV ratings. I doubt he would appeal to younger voters, most men and woman outside of the deep south.
    Carter was a southern Christian too, so I don't think that eliminates him. As for his tv show, I agree. Its a real snoozer. I think if he got the right handlers, he could still have a real shot. A little image makeover would not be too much to pull off. I mean, he's not THAT bad, is he?

RK, I get your point. If your definition of "looney" is being out on the political extreme, I would mildly disagree. I think Palin is farther from center than he is, but we may not agree on that. The big difference between the two IMO, and the reason he was electable and she won't be...is the perception of intelligence. While nobody likes an Ivy League intellectual snob, we can tolerate that. Nobody wants a blooming idiot running the show.

Before I get blasted for calling her names, I am referring to perceptions. Almost all democrats, indies, and a majority of republicans all responded that she doesn't have what it takes to be president.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

Carter was a southern Christian too, so I don't think that eliminates him. As for his tv show, I agree. Its a real snoozer. I think if he got the right handlers, he could still have a real shot. A little image makeover would not be too much to pull off. I mean, he's not THAT bad, is he?
    Carter was elected for the same reason Obama was elected, voters didn't trust the Republicans. Nixon's resignation was adifficult time in America and Ford didn't have the on-camera appeal or charisma. Whereas, Jimmy Carter seemed relaxed, playing softball with the media and he didn't wear his religion on his sleeve.

Even with the right handlers, I seriously doubt Huckabee would have that much appeal beyond Evangelicals. If the Tea Party couldn't win the senate race in Nevada, how would they carry the country?
    Last edited by Franco; 11-15-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Carter was elected for the same reason Obama was elected, voters didn't trust the Republicans. Nixon's resignation was adifficult time in America and Ford didn't have the on-camera appeal or charisma. Whereas, Jimmy Carter seemed relaxed, playing softball with the media and he didn't wear his religion on his sleeve.

Even with the right handlers, I seriously doubt Huckabee would have that much appeal beyond Evangelicals. If the Tea Party couldn't win the senate race in Nevada, how would they carry the country?
    I think you nailed it. Carter's religion was (is) part of who he is and informs his day to day views on issues, but it was never part of his political platform. By contrast, Huckabee has made religion a central part of his political identity.

Don't tell John Kerry or Bill Bradley that.
    I knew I was right, but I looked up the facts and 59% of the time the tallest guy has won the popular vote, the shorter guy has only won 33%, and 8% of the time the guys were the same height. The electoral votes the tall guy wins the most again. Sorry to say height does matter, not looks.

Now all the GOP has to do is find a taller guy than Pres. BHO, that can pull the moderates over the line to the right.
    Terri