The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly etc

Estimates suggest that radio listenership (listening at least once a week) to the following categories are as follows (1) :

NPR/Public Radio 34 %
    Christian Radio 22 %
    Conservative Talk Radio 17 %
    Liberal Talk Radio 7 %

I have no way to know the accuracy of the above numbers. But the survey sited in (1) does break things down by voter demographics.

Corporation for Broadcasting (our tax dollars at work) budget for FY 2007 is a little over a half a billion dollars (2) with the state of Alaska getting about 7.5 million of that money. And my state of Utah receives 6.8 million. I guess ol' Stevens is more powerful than Hatch.

So Booty, how much does it cost to run a radio station?

(1) http://www.moore-info.com/MI_RadioListening6.08.pdf
    (2) http://www.cpb.org/aboutcpb/financials/funding/

Thanks John, I have to admit, none of the categories are mine though. I know where to find Conservative talk and Christian, I have no idea where to find Liberal talk or NPR, but I am often the square peg in the round hole.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I have begun listening to Rush and sean on a regular bases. I used to listne to the local NPR station for the classical music they played, but the constant beg-a-thons and the far left view of their news turned me off quickly.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty View Post
    It is my feeling that the three of them do more harm to the REAL Conservative movement than they do good.First, they have redefined Conservative to fit their agendas. Real Conservatism borders on Libertarism. That the fucnction of the government is to protect the Constitution and the people of the USA. And, that government should be small, with low taxes and not be involved in social issues. That is unless those social issues threaten our liberties.Seems that the three I've mentioned above as well as some Republican poloticians have hijacked tha party.Republicans are now mostly leaderless and Pres Bush's policies may have done in the GOP for good. I would expect a strong third party to emerge over the next few years. One that does represent Conservative politics and not the misinformation we get from the three talking heads in my headline.P S Just so I am clear, Pres. R Reagan was not a Conservative. But, three above have claimed him to be so as they have redinfined Conservative.
    Of the 3rd parties I have been associated with over the years, Ross Perot's Reform Party was probably the closest to being viable. Unfortunately, Ross's EGO was in the way of allowing any sort of mass handling of the party. I don't have the exact numbers but didn't Perot get close to 20% of the vote in a 3 way race.

The Libertarians embrace of alternate lifestyles, de criminalization of drugs, unwillingness to go to any war makes them an offshoot of the D's. No self respecting family person would want to associate with that agenda facing them. I'm fairly tolerant, just not that tolerant, I would not want my grandkids forced into accepting that. As you notice the large black vote in CA contibuted to the ban on alternate marriage, so the self respecting blacks do not accept those thoughts either. I'm old enough that being gay meant you were happy.

I have long said Hannity & O'Reilly were Pseudo conservatives because it was selling (if you read any of their books they are not exactly rocket scientists), Ann Coulter is no better, Rush has some good history lessons on occasion but is given to self aggrandizement.

One of the problems is the Conservative movement has been so watered down by stating Reagan was a Conservative that many do not know what is real conservatism. Reagan was a "B" level actor who recognized the AUH2O movement & jumped on the wagon. & there is a tendency of those defining same to attempt to remake the definition into something that fits there agenda.

Real conservatism starts with fiscal responsibility. Limiting funds can have a serious dampening effect on the progress of government. It also has much to do with not meddling in individuals lives in any manner - on this subject the D's & the Social Conservatives are very similar - one group just cuts there hair shorter than the other.

I'll give you an example - We had Waco & Salt Creek, polygamy at it's best, should the government have gotten involved. I say NO, but I also say the many wives should not have been on Public Assistance. No government means just that. If you can't afford the freight don't make the delivery.

Anyway Booty, being conservative for broadcasters is expedient today, rather like being liberal at a Sexfest. When it quits being lucrative those guys will get a new set of stripes.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S. View Post
    Have you watched Mike Huckabee's show on Fox? Didn't vote for him in the primary, but based on his presentation and views on his show I would vote for him in the next POTUS race. Non-confrontational and a great communicator that doesn't back down on his views, yet listens to other viewpoints.

Not saying he will start a third party, but he is a good bet (if he's willing to leave his show) for the GOP in 2012.

The Dems will not split their party and most right winger's wouldn't leave the GOP for a third party unless it became a viable third party majority that dwarfed the GOP.

Huckabee is no Conservative either, look at his policies from Arkansas, he is a Bill Clinton with morals. He does hunt but he is just as pseudo conservative as the rest.

Computer problems at home. I'll respond in the morning.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    I have begun listening to Rush and sean on a regular bases.
    No kidding?
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

I don't think you can lump O'Reilly in there with someone like Rush. Whether you like him or not, Rush is one of the main leaders on real conservative though right now.
    JB

I really believe Limbaugh listeners are like fruit cakes (the real thing not people who have a different persuasion). As most know there are 3 fruit cakes in the world and they just get passed around from one person to another. No one actually eats them. I believe there are only about 4-5 true Limbaugh listeners. They just keep changing their name and the tone of their voice. There are others who claim to listen to him but actually can't stand to listen to his arrogant, blow hard, party line politics with almost no original thought. I am a conservative and he makes me want to nuke the radio when he is on.

Truthfully the most interesting, albeit sensationallistic, talk radio is Glenn Beck. He makes a lot of sense sometimes and gets you thinking.

O'Reilly is just plain boring and I get tired of his "what say you" callers. Can't comment on Hannity.
    Curt

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!----Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by John Schmidt View Post

So Booty, how much does it cost to run a radio station?

(1) http://www.moore-info.com/MI_RadioListening6.08.pdf
    (2) http://www.cpb.org/aboutcpb/financials/funding/
    The problem with the cost of public radio is that the government pays all the expenses to keep them afloat minus any local donations. That means paying their rent, utilities, staff etc. A big waste of tax payer dollars! A single local station carrying as much syndicated programming as NPR does shouldn't cost more than 400k annually to operate. I'm sure we as tax payers are paying much more than that per NPR station.

The ratings information is a study conducted by/for NPR to make it appear that they have more listeners than they actually have. According to the industry's accepted ratings which is Arbitron, NPR stations have less than a 1 share of the listening. Arbitron's new measurement for radio listening is a device known as the Personal People Meter. This is an electronic device that people wear that records all sources of audio whether it be traditional terrestial radio, satellite or Ipod/mp3. That information is downloaded and brokendown by age, sex, time spent listening etc. Again, NPR is less than 1%, so it is a waste of taxpayers money.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345