The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly etc

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Hey labdoc, I resemble that remark. One of my dad's first jobs at Crosse & Blackwell back before the war was making fruit cakes. I couldn't drink enough brandy to be one.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty View Post
    It is my feeling that the three of them do more harm to the REAL Conservative movement than they do good.First, they have redefined Conservative to fit their agendas. Real Conservatism borders on Libertarism. That the fucnction of the government is to protect the Constitution and the people of the USA. And, that government should be small, with low taxes and not be involved in social issues. That is unless those social issues threaten our liberties.Seems that the three I've mentioned above as well as some Republican poloticians have hijacked tha party.Republicans are now mostly leaderless and Pres Bush's policies may have done in the GOP for good. I would expect a strong third party to emerge over the next few years. One that does represent Conservative politics and not the misinformation we get from the three talking heads in my headline.P S Just so I am clear, Pres. R Reagan was not a Conservative. But, three above have claimed him to be so as they have redinfined Conservative.

Maybe YOUR view of conservative is limited and less than inclusive believing YOUR political views are what the conservative should be. If you want to be libertarian, that option is available to you.

O’Reilly isn’t even a conservative. He calls himself a traditionalist.

Rush hurts nothing. He presents the hypocrisies of the democrats for all to see in a humorous manner. While it may be a rallying cry for the left, especially the extreme left, but who cares how the left views the rest of us.

The next original idea Hannity has will be his first. He regurgitates talking points. I am no big fan of his.

Talk radio is not your enemy. Talk radio is a voice, not the voice, but a voice of the people. That voice is measured by how many listen to it, agrees with it, disagree with it and debate it.

I tend to agree with the first post, I am not sure that they, or if what they spout, is truely what the Republican party is about. I am a life long republican, but I find myself differing from several "conservative" values. Specifically abortion and embryonic stem cell research. I am not alone in this and know there are many republicans like me who feel this way. I get tired of being clumped in with the religious right, and anti abortionist, and anti embryonic stem cell research group.
    I am religious (Christian), but do not go to church more than a few times a year. The abortion thing has been ruled on by the USSC, and the notion that embryonic stem cells will come from aborted fetus's is just stupid (trust me I know more about this topic than anyone here). I do think it is time for the GOP to think about what it is all about. If there was a real third party I would look into it, but I don't see that day coming soon.
    As far as the religious right goes, I don't have a problem with them, except that not everyone in the party is that, I don't care what religion you are, but no one extreem should be the focous of the party
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    ...I find myself differing from several "conservative" values. Specifically abortion and embryonic stem cell research...

Not a subject that will generally get discussed on a retriever BB. I am a registered independent, but generally vote republican. I think the Republican Party platform is pretty restrictive on the subject but I agree with a much of it.

I consider myself and even call myself pro-life.

I believe that life begins at conception.

I have no problems with 1st term abortions.

I am ambivalent about 2nd term abortions.

I am not sure how much all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

I believe that aborting a fetus after the time of quickening or viability is murder.

Should there be exceptions? Sure. The exceptions shouldn’t become the rule.

Stem cell research, who cares. We fund far too many things now. If President George W. Bush doesn’t want to pay for embryonic stem cell research with government funds that is OK with me too. If he doesn’t want to do it for religious reasons, I don’t care about that either. If there is that much promise in the research, private funding will fill the void. No harm, no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Not a subject that will generally get discussed on a retriever BB. I am a registered independent, but generally vote republican. I think the Republican Party platform is pretty restrictive on the subject but I agree with a much of it.

I consider myself and even call myself pro-life.

I believe that life begins at conception.

I have no problems with 1st term abortions.

I am ambivalent about 2nd term abortions.

I am not sure how much all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

I believe that aborting a fetus after the time of quickening or viability is murder.

Should there be exceptions? Sure. The exceptions shouldn’t become the rule.

Stem cell research, who cares. We fund far too many things now. If President George W. Bush doesn’t want to pay for embryonic stem cell research with government funds that is OK with me too. If he doesn’t want to do it for religious reasons, I don’t care about that either. If there is that much promise in the research, private funding will fill the void. No harm, no foul.

Your last statement is where you are wrong. It does in fact hold that much promise and there are many sources of funding. This is not about funding, but rather the restrictions placed on receiving, shipping, and using them. It has taken me over two years of work just to be able to send a batch of embryos to Harvard for research because of the bureaucracy that is involved. Nobody is asking for funding, other than NIH and the other government interest. Since you don’t care about funding or the use of these I would have to guess that you will not be one of those complaining about the HIGH cost of treatment for anything that comes form this because it is and will remain PRIVATILY funded and you know when companies fund billions of dollars worth of research they expect a pretty good or at least fair return on those dollars.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

True enough, private research expects a ROI.

Describe the restrictions that you are encountering with shipping of the embryos?

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    True enough, private research expects a ROI.

Describe the restrictions that you are encountering with shipping of the embryos?

Wait until I am in the office Monday....

BTW- it is not the shipping of embryos, that is done every day. It is problems with getting them to research, but not the actual shipping itself. I did say shipping but I meant in context to the facilities that are doing ESR being able to recieve them for this use. Shipping of embryos is not very restrictive in and of itself
    Last edited by badbullgator; 11-09-2008 at 09:11 AM.
    Corey Burke

I have never been a fan of Hannity or O’Reilly but use to listen to Limbaugh back when he first started. Limbaugh in the last six or seven years has become a screecher like Hannity and O’Reilly. Neel Boortz is really more in line with my way of thinking.

But the question….these show are entertainment nothing more and nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Wait until I am in the office Monday....

BTW- it is not the shipping of embryos, that is done every day. It is problems with getting them to research, but not the actual shipping itself. I did say shipping but I meant in context to the facilities that are doing ESR being able to recieve them for this use. Shipping of embryos is not very restrictive in and of itself

What does “getting them to research” actually mean?

I believe I read somewhere that the biggest problem that research labs face, that are involved with this research, is the separation of funds between government, and private investment and the book keeping of that separation. That is one of their biggest complaints, not necessarily the government not funding them.

Is that true?

Yes, funding is not an issue really, but keeping the two seperate is. If you are using any government funds there are a lot more "hoops" to jump through in regard to standards and procedures. While there is plenty of private funding to go around government funding is always helpful and in some cases there are researchers that arerestricted to their own instutions funding or government funding. If your own institution will not, or more often cannot, fund the research you have to turn to government grants and funding which in this case is not avaliable.
    Please note that embryonic stem cells are not the only source of stem cells
    Corey Burke