The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: So Long

  1. #1
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,567

    Default So Long

    WASHINGTON—In a press conference held this morning on the White House lawn, President Bush formally asked the assembled press corps and members of his own administration if, in light of the today's election, he could stop being the president now. "So it's over, right? Can I stop being president now?" Bush said after striding to the podium in a Texas Rangers cap and flannel shirt, carrying a fully packed suitcase. "Let's just say I'm done as of now. Presidency over." When informed by Washington Post reporter David Broder that his presidency would continue through early January, Bush stared at him quizzically, sighed, and shuffled silently back into the White House.

    -------------------
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  2. #2
    Senior Member AmiableLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    3,213

    Default

    When Bush got elected the first time it was right after all the acrimony surrounding the impeachment of Bill Clinton. Bush promised a "new tone" where he would not attack the Democrats but instead work with them. This later came to include where he would not defend himself or his policies against partisan attacks. This allowed the left to paint him any color they wanted, attach to him anything they wanted, reshape him into anything they wanted. For eight, long, years.

    Today Rush Limbaugh declared "an end to the 'new tone.'" Pointing to what it has wrought -- widespread defeat of the party that Bush leads.
    Kevin Walker

    Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Joe S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    When Bush got elected the first time it was right after all the acrimony surrounding the impeachment of Bill Clinton. Bush promised a "new tone" where he would not attack the Democrats but instead work with them. This later came to include where he would not defend himself or his policies against partisan attacks. This allowed the left to paint him any color they wanted, attach to him anything they wanted, reshape him into anything they wanted. For eight, long, years.

    Today Rush Limbaugh declared "an end to the 'new tone.'" Pointing to what it has wrought -- widespread defeat of the party that Bush leads.
    The absolute most frightening thing here is that you believe this.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

  4. #4
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    .
    Today Rush Limbaugh declared "an end to the 'new tone.'" Pointing to what it has wrought -- widespread defeat of the party that Bush leads.
    and Rush of course, was Bush's principle disciple of the 'new tone'...right?
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    WASHINGTON—In a press conference held this morning on the White House lawn, President Bush formally asked the assembled press corps and members of his own administration if, in light of the today's election, he could stop being the president now. "So it's over, right? Can I stop being president now?" Bush said after striding to the podium in a Texas Rangers cap and flannel shirt, carrying a fully packed suitcase. "Let's just say I'm done as of now. Presidency over." When informed by Washington Post reporter David Broder that his presidency would continue through early January, Bush stared at him quizzically, sighed, and shuffled silently back into the White House.

    -------------------
    Sweet fancy Moses. Please tell me you don't think this is a real news story. Even if you really did, just lie and say of course you knew it was from the famous satire site The Onion.

  6. #6
    Senior Member AmiableLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    3,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    The absolute most frightening thing here is that you believe this.
    Nope, it is that you don't.
    Kevin Walker

    Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    When Bush got elected the first time it was right after all the acrimony surrounding the impeachment of Bill Clinton. Bush promised a "new tone" where he would not attack the Democrats but instead work with them. This later came to include where he would not defend himself or his policies against partisan attacks. This allowed the left to paint him any color they wanted, attach to him anything they wanted, reshape him into anything they wanted. For eight, long, years.
    I agree completely. Bush was hailed by both parties in Texas as a governor who was bi-partisan and worked with everyone. The notion that he arrived in DC with no intention to work with the Dems is absurd and short on facts. Hell, he let Teddy Kennedy write the education bill for cripes sake.

    The only thing I'd add Kevin is that a big part of the reason he didn't get down in the swill of politics was the war and his desire to be a President to all Americans in a time of conflict and not act as a political hack while US servicemen and women were dying.

  8. #8
    Senior Member JDogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MRGV New Mexico
    Posts
    3,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    Sweet fancy Moses. Please tell me you don't think this is a real news story. Even if you really did, just lie and say of course you knew it was from the famous satire site The Onion.
    Yes, the Onion obviously. Sorry to confuse you. Would you like to have the link?
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news...eing_president

    Can get you more if you want.

    JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Thatta boy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member AmiableLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    3,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    The only thing I'd add Kevin is that a big part of the reason he didn't get down in the swill of politics was the war and his desire to be a President to all Americans in a time of conflict and not act as a political hack while US servicemen and women were dying.
    That is true too.

    Karl Rove defended Dubya tonight when O'Reilly brought up this same thing. Rove basically said Dubya acted in such a way he could live with himself and "look at himself in the mirror."

    But there is more than staying true to yourself, there is staying true to the truth and what is right. What he practiced for eight years with "the new tone" was a form of pacifism. And look what it wrought.
    Kevin Walker

    Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Similar Threads

  1. Sure didn't take long
    By Bubba in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 09:22 AM
  2. How long is long enough???
    By Ed Hogan in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM
  3. Been gone way too long............
    By Ken Guthrie in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM
  4. How long before...
    By Cut em_Jack in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 09:37 AM
  5. How long and how much before you let go?
    By MaLabhuntr in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 10:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •