The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragic Accident

Default Tragic Accident

Was on the pitblind.com site and guys are suggesting that fellow field hunters in layout blinds identify there spread with a flag or something. Divers use a flag to warn boaters.Why cant we? This is just a tragic senseless death caused by a slob not a hunter. So fellow RTF post some ideas that you think would work to identify your spread.
    Here is a release that I found on avery message board it appears to be authentic. They do have a video clip with the police but it is in French. The victim is Josh Leger Avery Pro Staffer.

He was out hunting with friends and clients and someone thought his spread of snow geese was an actual flock that had landed. The guy pulled over and crawled his way into the field and took one shot with a .22 rifle. Hitting Josh right above the eye. His partner heard the whistling of a flying bullet and then a tiny impact, asked Josh if he had heard. When no answer came, he turned around and realise Josh had been hit. The rest of the story is irrelevant, Josh is dead.

Josh was a good friend of mine and a great hunter. Not only was he good at hunting itself, but he was a great communicator and a great promoter of waterfowl hunting. We have lost a great pionneer of waterfowl hunting here in Quebec and he will be missed.
    Last edited by sprintwrench75; 11-05-2008 at 11:11 PM.

I've never heard of such a thing happening. Sure sounds possible, even likely. I agree that something should be done to prevent it. I've had decoys shot that were left out, but never anything like this. Thank you for posting the story. Bud

Senior Member Moosetogooseranch's Avatar

Who would ever think. What a terrible thing to have happen. Very sorry to hear of such a Tragic Accident. Prayers being said for All.

Bill & Micki
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I've wondered the same thing Sprint. We do a lot of field hunting and the farmers do shoot geese out of their fields with rifles around here as a pretty common practice. All we can do for now is watch for vehicles driving by slowly and stand up waving an orange flag but they are easy to miss sometimes when you are laying down.
    You would think that letting the landwner know you weren there would be enough but friends will help friends by shooting at geese as well.
    I've wondered about a sign or flag or something stuck in the ground at the road. Whatever it was would almost need to be a law mainly so that the farmers would know the "signal" to look for along the road.

Once I was hunting on a small peninsula with my decoy spread in the shallow bay between the peninsula and land. Wasn't more than 30 yards across. I'm sitting there watching for birds when all of a sudden I see two hunters pop up from the vegetation on shore and start blazing away at my decoys. I could hear shot ripping through the vegetation all around me. My dog was at my side and to this day I don't know how we were both spared from being wounded.

Shooting at birds on the water or on land is stupid, foolish, and unethical for all kinds of reasons.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

It's a tragic accident that happened to that guy last year. Everytime I go into the woods I'm constantly thinking about the "what ifs" and the other guy. If any of you have experienced opening day pheasant (which is this coming Saturday) in New Jersey you'll know what I'm talking about.

I don't really know how to warn/remind other hunters & farmenrs that I'm in a layout blind and not to shoot the decoys. Maybe a flag would help. I can tell you for turkey season, I wrap a blaze orange ribbon around a close tree or hang a blaze orange vest off of a nearby branch. Does it work? I really can't say - never been shot, but then again except for a couple of "stupid" turkeys I've never been really successfull hunting them.

Good luck and safe hunting everyone.

I had a similar experience a few years ago, we were hunting a winter wheat field in the Texas Panhandle. We had gotten permission from the land owner’s son and he did not tell his elderly father. The father pulled up about 100 yards away and began shooting a 22 rifle into the deeks to scare them off of the wheat. Thankfully he was almost parallel with us and ended up shooting downwind of us. We stopped him almost immediately but he was still able to get in several rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintwrench75 View Post
    Was on the pitblind.com site and guys are suggesting that fellow field hunters in layout blinds identify there spread with a flag or something. Divers use a flag to warn boaters.Why cant we? This is just a tragic senseless death caused by a slob not a hunter. So fellow RTF post some ideas that you think would work to identify your spread.
    Here is a release that I found on avery message board it appears to be authentic. They do have a video clip with the police but it is in French. The victim is Josh Leger Avery Pro Staffer.

He was out hunting with friends and clients and someone thought his spread of snow geese was an actual flock that had landed. The guy pulled over and crawled his way into the field and took one shot with a .22 rifle. Hitting Josh right above the eye. His partner heard the whistling of a flying bullet and then a tiny impact, asked Josh if he had heard. When no answer came, he turned around and realise Josh had been hit. The rest of the story is irrelevant, Josh is dead.

Josh was a good friend of mine and a great hunter. Not only was he good at hunting itself, but he was a great communicator and a great promoter of waterfowl hunting. We have lost a great pionneer of waterfowl hunting here in Quebec and he will be missed.

Seems like I heard that the guy was shooting at a decoy that had a collar on it? It was about a year ago.
    Jeff

" A dog does best what a dog does most often".

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Poole View Post
    Seems like I heard that the guy was shooting at a decoy that had a collar on it? It was about a year ago.
    I have no idea if this is true or not about the decoy having a neck collar. It bears repeating, though, that there's no reason to have bands, jewelry or neck collars on decoys. There's no reason to have world record antlers on deer decoys. These sorts of "tropies" can make some folks go nutty and lose judgement quickly.

Personally, I've come to like having a spinning wing decoy in the spread where legal. It's a pretty good "giveaway" to other hunters that it's a decoy spread and not a group of wild birds.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I have no idea if this is true or not about the decoy having a neck collar. It bears repeating, though, that there's no reason to have bands, jewelry or neck collars on decoys. There's no reason to have world record antlers on deer decoys. These sorts of "tropies" can make some folks go nutty and lose judgement quickly.

Personally, I've come to like having a spinning wing decoy in the spread where legal. It's a pretty good "giveaway" to other hunters that it's a decoy spread and not a group of wild birds.

Chris
    Your right on about the spinning wing.
    Jeff

" A dog does best what a dog does most often".