The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Would you take the president elect duck hunting?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 47.00%
  • No

53 53.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you take the president elect duck hunting?

Default Would you take the president elect duck hunting?

Hey Guys,
    A coworker of mine asked me this yesterday at work. He is a sandal wearing tree hugger type who also is a smart and clever fellow. He and I have a great many friendly political debates. He also knows I duck hunt a lot and that I very much enjoy bringing out new people who have never hunted, to the duck blind.
    So he asked, "If you were called out of the blue and the voice on the phone said please hold for President Elect Obama. And he came on the line and asked you to bring him duck hunting, would you?" He might say something like "My staff has informed me you are an excellent duck hunter and I would like to experience waterfowling. I never have been and would like to know more about it before I take office. I want to experience first hand a day in the field with dogs and guns before signing into law any legislation that may have an impact on your lifestyle. Would you help me?"
    Seeing as all of us here on RTF are stunningly accomplished Waterfowlers and dog handlers, in theory the call could come to any of us. Now don't answer quickly, ponder this. It will be a big deal security wise before you take off in the dark with guns and dogs and decoys with him. You will definitely need a thorough background investigation. Your favorite spot with need to be cordoned off with a secure perimeter by the secret service. The press will need access and will leave no stone unturned (Joe Plumber effect) after the hunt. A lot of hoops to jump through just to be able to show the beauty of a sunrise over a decoy spread in you most favorite secret blind location.
    Would you, if asked in such a way, take the President Elect Duck hunting? I would like to think I would.
    How about it fellas?
    Ken Bora
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 11-06-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling :(
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

And I would hope that the current V.P would go.
    "From My Cold Dead Hands"

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I would agree only if the senior senator from the Peoples Republic of Mass would drive him here.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    And I would hope that the current V.P would go.
    I think that would be very cool also. It seems I remember reading he had purchased some property on the Chesapeake Bay, I do not remember what state. And turned it into a duck camp. Imagin being in a duck blind on the Chesapeake at sunrise with a V.P. on one side and a P.E. on the other and a Chesapeake at your side. But seriously folks, if you had the chance to showcase the beauty, tradition, ethic and joy of woking dogs under game to the P.E., wouldent you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    I would agree only if the senior senator from the Peoples Republic of Mass would drive him here.
    and Bob, are there ducks anywhere on the Chappaquiddick ?
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    I would. He has gotta hunt my style though and carry his full weight. I have been known to lug 7 dozen duck decoys, and 2 dozen goose decoys, and 1 mojo duck along with a shotgun in waders two miles to a hunting spot.

If he comes along, that would make for 14 dozen dekes, 4 dozen goose decoys, and an extra limit of ducks for the dog to retrieve.

I doubt he would survive the trip with his smoking and coke habit.

(Ooops... Can Cheney come along, and Ted Kennedy drive the PE?)
    Last edited by Terry Britton; 11-07-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Oops... wrong guy.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

The VP and Rummy both own retreats in St Michaels Talbot Co. Md. Just south of Easton.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

I would. But, unfotunately by Dog has higher standards.

I would.

Show him what the reality is, so that he would have a deeper understanding of why hunters and gun owners feel the way they do. It would cut through all the sound-byte "information" that is driving policy decisions in this country.

If he is willing to listen, then we should talk. And not disrespectful, hate-filled talk, either. That kind of talk only reinforces the notion that hunters and gun owners are angry, violent people who just want to run around blasting away at things. Our image is in our own hands. Sorry to say, the Elmer Fudd image has been reinforced by this website the last few weeks.

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

I would hope he would call me and say something to the effect...

"HEY, I wanted to take YOU hunting, and dont worry...we will use someone elses gun's, ammo, dog, decoys, blind, and favorite spot...."

I would most likely respond with..."What are you talking about....."

and he would say...."You heard me correct...isn't this idea of lets all be fair, lets do the neighborly thing, and lets spread the weath around great!!!!!!!!!!"

and then it would hit me...and I would say "You know what, your right because Guns, Dogs, Blinds, Clubs and Ammo is getting really expensive"

NCA

Yep, I'd take 43 or 44 duck hunting and be glad to do.

Interesting Thought Process Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin