The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: okay conservatives

Default okay conservatives

what has the republican party done to distance itself?

I think the GOP needs to take a good hard look at the direction they've gone and what the traditional meaning of conservative is...

Juli

Quote Originally Posted by sky_view View Post

I think the GOP needs to take a good hard look at the direction they've gone and what the traditional meaning of conservative is...

Juli
    Social or Fiscal? Which? & then I will answer.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

From what?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Matt - from the American people.

Marvin - both fiscal and social stances....

Juli

Juli
    I could not agree more check out this article

.http://www.spectator.org/archives/20...-freedom/print

Here is a snippet, I would urge you to read the article though it is a good one.

Today, America's Global Generation must also transcend a quartet of transformational challenges born of our interconnected world: economic, social and political upheavals; a global war against an evil enemy; Communist China's rise as a strategic threat and rival model of governance; and moral relativism's erosion of our nation's foundational, self-evident truths.

What are the Republican Party's principles that will be employed to meet and surmount these challenges? We have five enduring principles:

1. Our liberty is from God not the government.
    2. Our sovereignty rests in our souls not the soil.
    3. Our security is through strength not surrender.
    4. Our prosperity is from the private sector not the public sector.
    5. Our truths are self-evident not relative.

What are the Republican Party's goals? We will advance liberty, preserve tradition, and achieve constructive change for Americans in this trying time.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Marvin - both fiscal and social stances....Juli
    IMO - The Conservatives need to get their fiscal house in order - cut spending, remove agencies that are not federally required. The entitlements of public employees are a major problem that has not even been framed. Everything can be done by numbers. Do large corporate farms making millions of dollars need subsidies - that's where 90% of the Farm Bill goes? I know this, on the practical side, the cracked corn & wheat I feed my own birds & the wild ones now cost $42 rather than the $24 it cost a year ago. That's a tax that is hidden. If we can import something at a lower cost, import it, don't charge a tariff to protect a non-competitive industry.

On the social side - When you tell someone else what they need to do you are stepping into their area of freedom. This is a fault of both the D's with their incentive reducing social programs (well intentioned but ineffective) & the God Squad R's, who will sit on their hands if they don't get their way.

But I will say this, unless we walk in someone else's shoes, we do not know what the circumstances are & should not be in judgment. There is a time & place where certain actions may be warranted because of the circumstances. We cannot have a law & an agency for every circumstance that may arise. & that's where my libertarian tendencies arise.

I do know this, I lost an aunt who I never knew because of a botched abortion attempt, please don't ask me how I feel. I was deprived of that aunt in my growing up years. & possibly someone I could have lived with when my grandmother died, as my own parents were entirely dysfunctional.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

It would behoove the GOP to take note that there are a lot of moderate Republicans who are feeling angry with and disenfranchised by the Republican Party. The Democrats ran a tight ship and a better campaign - assisted immeasurably by the media, of course.

Though I voted the McCain/Palin ticket, for the first time in a Presidential election, I felt anxious and uneasy about both party's candidates. Though still anxious, I pray that God will keep the President-elect safe and guide him to lead our country in a positive direction.

And now we just wait and see if he truly will try to unify us - or is he just an eloquent speaker paying lip service....
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    It would behoove the GOP to take note that there are a lot of moderate Republicans who are feeling angry with and disenfranchised by the Republican Party. The Democrats ran a tight ship and a better campaign - assisted immeasurably by the media, of course.

Though I voted the McCain/Palin ticket, for the first time in a Presidential election, I felt anxious and uneasy about both party's candidates. Though still anxious, I pray that God will keep the President-elect safe and guide him to lead our country in a positive direction.

And now we just wait and see if he truly will try to unify us - or is he just an eloquent speaker paying lip service....
    There were and have been a lot of moderate Republicans that have been defeated. Sununu, Shays, Gordon Smith from Oregon, all defeated. Smith could have won but he abandoned his core beliefs and tried to out Democrat a Democrat. That will not work.
    Look at Bobby Gindall, Governor of Louisiana, a guy that doesn't make excuses for his conservative beliefs.
    We may have to tweak the message a little but on the economy we should never have play second fiddle to the Democrats.
    The Democratic play book is simple, get as many people as possible dependent on the government. Our message, help them be successful as possible while keeping government intrusion to a minimum. Which is more true to the American ideal?
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    The Democratic play book is simple, get as many people as possible dependent on the government.

Our message, help them be successful as possible while keeping government intrusion to a minimum.

Which is more true to the American ideal?
    I agree with you.

“There were and have been a lot of moderate Republicans that have been defeated.”

Yes, and I wonder if that was a generalized backlash at the GOP without looking at the indivisual candidate’s record. Fortunately here in FL, the GOP was able to prevail at the state level..
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

All the GOP politicians need to be sat down and read the Constitution and be told there will be a test!