The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: House training

Siera1605

Default House training

I recently got a new puppy and my dad recommended me to this website for useful training information. My puppy is 9 weeks old and I really am trying to get her house trained but it seems like even after she goes outside she comes in and pees in the house. She always holds her BM's until we're outside its just her bladder that's the issue. We have a crate for her that's perfect for her (as my Dad said not to get one too big cause then she'd be more likely to potty in there), she goes in there during the day and sleeps in it at night, although she doesn't really care for it . Any advice on house training would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm doing a good job now but I for sure need some extra information. Thank you!

Best advice is to use the crate. The crate should be sectioned off so it is only big enough for her to lay down and turn around. If you are not watching her then she should be in the crate. Take her out after she eats, drinks, plays, or wakes up. Don't expect her to not pee some where if she just has the roam of the house. Congrats on your new puppy and enjoy!!

THE best reference for crate training(house breaking) is:

"The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete, a religious order that trains german shepherd guide dogs.

There is an entire chapter on crate training. I've made copies of this chapter and given them to clients that have purchased a pup from me.

On Amazon, used, for $2, new for $8.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Raising-Pu.../dp/0316578398
    Train the dog, the ribbons will take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Siera1605 View Post
    I recently got a new puppy and my dad recommended me to this website for useful training information. My puppy is 9 weeks old and I really am trying to get her house trained but it seems like even after she goes outside she comes in and pees in the house. She always holds her BM's until we're outside its just her bladder that's the issue. We have a crate for her that's perfect for her (as my Dad said not to get one too big cause then she'd be more likely to potty in there), she goes in there during the day and sleeps in it at night, although she doesn't really care for it . Any advice on house training would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm doing a good job now but I for sure need some extra information. Thank you!
    Only until a few years ago crates were considered in Australia as doggie prisons (probably due to our climate which allows access to fenced backyards). Their use has slowly become accepted as a viable short term containment.

The secret I think is observation of a pup and knowing after meals/drinking. When pups start sniffing, outside they go.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Congrats on the new puppy!

When you take her outside, and bring her back in and she pee's inside - how long has it been? Have her checked for a urinary tract infection - happens to lots of puppies.

A 9 week old needs to be watched constantly and taken out frequently. Every 15 minutes is not unusual at this age.

Here is a Free download book from Ian Dunbar - I love his puppy training techniques. The book name is "before you get your puppy" but about mid book he goes into details about house training and chew training. http://www.lulu.com/content/2609821

The only thing I might change is that I wouldn't trust a retriever puppy with a chunk of sod in his ex pen. I've never tried it - maybe it works with dogs - but I just envision a retriever eating/tearing it up or digging in it

Hope this helps!
    Alison Schultz
    HR Wingmaster's Triple Play MH WCX "Tripp"
    Wingmaster's Seminole Wind "Sager"

Gone but not forgotten
    CH U-CD SHR Wingmaster's Genesis JH CDX RE WC CGC "Gauge"
    Can CH AM/GCH UH SHR Wingmaster's History Repeats JH CDX RE WCX CGC Can WC "Hunter" Flat Coat Hall of Fame

I second the idea of checking for a UTI. My female had one at 9 weeks. Is she cleaning herself excessively?

Keep up with the crate training and just observe her to get to know her signals that she has to go. Take her outside as frequently as you can. I think you're on the right track.

Good luck and congrats on the new puppy!

Kourtney
    Kiela
    Tigress Midnight Wind Stalker (pending)

Remington's Black Powder Jasper - Jasper
    February 25, 2004 - March 24, 2006

Boscoe
    March 15, 2006 - April 19, 2007
    http://boscoegrowsup.blogspot.com