The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Your Point

Default Make Your Point

Several of the posters are quite good at digging up somewhat relevant & sometimes irrelevant postings & referencing same. When reading these I can sometimes understand what point the person who has written the material is trying to make & other times for the life of me cannot. This is especially true on those items presented by the left leaning members of this forum.

So I would request, especially for those of us who are just not as mentally clairvoyant & politically enlightened, that the posters who reference posts from another forum: Please explain what you think is pertinent in the referenced posting. In other words start with a synopsis of what those referenced are trying to say IYO.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Do you have any examples you can point to?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

That is characteristic of some "left leaners". They will throw out some data, hoping to stimulate thought and let you draw your own conclusions.

"Righties" on the other hand, will voice their opinion loudly, often interrupting, (ala Limbaugh, O'Reily, et al) and repeat it hoping to beat you into submission.

Don't you just hate labels regards,

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    That is characteristic of some "left leaners". They will throw out some data, hoping to stimulate thought and let you draw your own conclusions.

"Righties" on the other hand, will voice their opinion loudly, often interrupting, (ala Limbaugh, O'Reily, et al) and repeat it hoping to beat you into submission.

Don't you just hate labels regards,

JS
    You mean the way lefties at college campuses interrupt anyone right of center when they come to speak on their campuses. <sarcasm on> Real purveyors of free speech and new ideas. <sarcasm off> The left is intolerant of any idea that is not in complete agreement with their position.

Interesting that the left will allow any United States hater to continue on uninterrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Several of the posters are quite good at digging up somewhat relevant & sometimes irrelevant postings & referencing same. When reading these I can sometimes understand what point the person who has written the material is trying to make & other times for the life of me cannot. This is especially true on those items presented by the left leaning members of this forum.

So I would request, especially for those of us who are just not as mentally clairvoyant & politically enlightened, that the posters who reference posts from another forum: Please explain what you think is pertinent in the referenced posting. In other words start with a synopsis of what those referenced are trying to say IYO.
    I think this is a good point although I suspect it applies to almost any post that does not quote the posts to which it responds. The laws of GDG may override any efforts to keep discussions focused. I understand Buzz's request for examples although that can be tricky since it would involve referencing extraneous threads and then trying to explain their relevance (). However, the two posts following Buzz's may well be good examples of confusing discontinuity.

EDIT: BTW, I assume that your specific comment about "left leaning members" is only made because they are the ones most likely to have actually researched their answers.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 11-11-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    EDIT: BTW, I assume that your specific comment about "left leaning members" is only made because they are the ones most likely to have actually researched their answers.
    That is funny - but what I am referencing is the posts where someone will post up a blog with no explanation of what they believe relevant - & when you get there the article is so poorly written or vitriolic that you wonder what's the point.

I personally appreciate posts where the poster conveys their own thoughts in a straightforward manner. While I may not agree with the poster's logic, they should at least receive some skin for their forthrightness. I also cringe when any one starts getting personal, irregardless of their political persuasion. Though again, on occasion, a rude remark is pertinent, but that occasion is rare.

I only subscribe to publications where the writers do not mangle the English language & present a modicum of logic in their arguments. I subscribed to the New Yorker for some time, well written, I appreciated their thought provoking cartoons, but finally let the subscription lapse because of their hate Bush & isn't NY grand outlook. But that also put me on many lefties solicitation list.

I also make it a point not to open posts as some have already proven themselves incapable of adding to the conversation, though those instances are rare.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

That is funny - but what I am referencing is the posts where someone will post up a blog with no explanation of what they believe relevant - & when you get there the article is so poorly written or vitriolic that you wonder what's the point.
    Those are the "righties" blogs, Marv. The well written, educational ones depicting truth, justice, and the American way are the "lefties."

Just trying to be helpful...it's my nature, you know.

Helpful Regards,

Helpy Helperson
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

but what I am referencing is the posts where someone will post up a blog with no explanation of what they believe relevant - & when you get there the article is so poorly written or vitriolic that you wonder what's the point.

Got it...

I have seen it from both sides of the fence.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    Those are the "righties" blogs, Marv. The well written, educational ones depicting truth, justice, and the American way are the "lefties."

Just trying to be helpful...it's my nature, you know.

Helpful Regards,

Helpy Helperson
    Well there ya'll go!!

Helpy Helperson, Bless his heart!
    Enjoy the next four years if you survive it!

Mike
    Last edited by Captain Mike D; 11-11-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Senior Member RedHeadedHurricane's Avatar

Hey! What does IYO mean?
    That's right baby and I'm a CAT 5!