The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Last night was my daughter's 1st 4-H meeting

Default Last night was my daughter's 1st 4-H meeting

with the dog, and I had to go to another meeting and couldn't be there to watch. My husband (who does very little with this dog because he has his own) had to stay with her. Right now because it was all new dogs and young kids, the parents are right there with the kids helping out. It wasn't any heeling or anything, just sits, attention getting, handling the dogs feet, face, ears, etc. My daughter thought it was awesome, and the dog didn't embarrass my husband any. He was actually afraid that since I wasn't there, the dog would act like a fool and get her kicked out of the club (which wouldn't happen but he's always thinks the worst). Since I'm helping out with the club, I showed up to set up and he was at the far end of the barn doing obedience with the dog who was really paying attention to him.

My daughter is the youngest kid, with the youngest dog, and I got an email today from the main leader saying that he was typically wild for a 9 month old in a new place full of dogs, but was actually light years ahead of the other new dogs. He will sit, down, (and wait), heel somewhat, and "here" to my daughter about 90% of the time.

I was so worried about him being too wild and too big, but the leader said by August she thinks they will be an amazing pair to watch.

The main leader talked about learning the breeds to the kids and handed out a Canine Chronicle magazine to each of them, and 2 to my daughter for some reason and at breakfast this morning we were going through the dogs already. My daughter is addicted to this stuff.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Nice Joni, how old is your daughter. It sounds like something my daughter would like.
    One of the best feelings in the world is watching your hunting buddy bring back a duck you shot with her tail wagging.

She's 6 and in 1st grade. She's something else though. Fortunately she's quite tall and strong for her age because she's got a big dog on her hands, but he's a giant teddy bear. When the Sr. Leader came up to greet him he sat on her feet and leaned into her, almost causing her to fall over. Not good for a women pushing 70 years old. (Gee I wonder why she asked me to start taking over). At 9 months old he's just shy of 80 lbs and still a little ribby.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

That is very cool. Love to see the kids enjoying the dogs and the dogs enjoying the kids. Thank you for working with them as well, we need more of that
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

The best thing I ever did was dog project in 4-H! Good luck!

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

I've taught a bunch of 4H obedience classes over the years. There is no better addiction for a kid than a good dog.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    The best thing I ever did was dog project in 4-H! Good luck!
    I agree. I started 4-H 23 years ago, with my Springer Freckles. Now I'm back at the same club, leading this time, with my daughter. She's a little younger than I was when I started, but way more into it. She honestly talked a mile a minute this morning about it. Funny it was only 45 minutes but you would have thought it lasted all day. I'll take pictures next week.
    Joni

I was in until I was 18 and I am now 25 and I still help teach with the club that taught me. You make lifelong friends in 4-H! It does suck you back in one way or the other!

How about a 4-H meeting out at Peppers or Carlsons? I would be happy to teach the youngsters how to tie pigeons, throw them and shoot a popper? --Saturday morning ok if, flood water is down? I always carry two life vests just in case....never know when training around water.....safety first.....

Ohh, do any of the 4-H kids raise pigeons or ducks? They can come along too...

Paul

MIght actually take you up on that some day. The sr. leader is not really into hunting, but I'd like her to see that these dogs are well loved and well cared for, not just kennel bound. There are a lot of people that have a misconception about hunting dog training that really need to have their minds changed. Not just yet though, I just finished the state training yesterday.
    Joni