The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hannity, Limbaugh and the "Obama Recession"

Default Hannity, Limbaugh and the "Obama Recession"

Hannity and Limbaugh are referring to the ongoing economic troubles as the "Obama Recession". They are to politics what the National Enquirer is to journalism.
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200811120011
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

With Respect I will say, this is not a fair comparison. The National Enquirer stands for absolutely NOTHING!!! Hannity and Limbaugh stand for alot. I see your point but, come on. We need Hannity to combat Colmbs. The National Enquirer is just a sad case for anything. Obama is going to be challenged with this economic situation. This could make or break his presidency. He made such a big deal on this in his debates and speeches to the masses. Lets see what he does. So far, i'm not a bit impressed with bailing out the autobroke industry. i would hate to pay for this one.

Neil

Regardless of what you say about the automotive industry, 3 million jobs (auto and auto-related) are at stake. You want this country in a depression? Let them go broke and see where the country goes. Unless you're sitting on several hundred thousand dollars in CASH, you DON'T want that to happen.

Let the government bail them out with strong, enforceable caveats attached. Make them rebuild on solid terms that help the country, not just the unions, their stockholders, or their fat-cat officers and directors.

The opportunity exists for a sea-change in the world of business. We should be praying for those that have to make the decisions that will affect us, our children, and our children's children........

Cooler heads MUST prevail regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    Regardless of what you say about the automotive industry, 3 million jobs (auto and auto-related) are at stake.

kg
    I don't know if it is true or not. Not everything you hear on the TEE VEE is...

But on CNBC they said that 3 million get their paychecks from direct involvement in automobile manufacturing with the big 3. And 20 million make paychecks for indirect involvement.

Is that what they mean by, as GM goes, so goes the country?

I grew up and started my career in Detroit. One of my grandfathers worked for GM for 40 years. Another worked for Cadillac before they were part of GM. That was before he started a scrap yard where I worked as a kid stripping good parts off of junked cars for resale. He actually knew Henry Ford, he used to visit his scrap yard and walk around looking at the competition's cars, talking about good and bad design with Grandpa.

A few years ago my grandpa died just months before turning 100. He was really upset about what the unions had done to the companies. He was a big union proponent in his younger days, but he said that what we see today was NOT what they intended.

If any good comes from this, it will be that the UAW will be brought back down to earth with the rest of us. I support the idea of bailing out the big 3, but only if the government gets concessions from the union that would put them on par with those working for the foreign makers.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Let the government bail them out with strong, enforceable caveats attached. Make them rebuild on solid terms that help the country, not just the unions, their stockholders, or their fat-cat officers and directors.
    I guess I don't have a whole lot of faith in the government attaching "strings" to such a bailout. It would appear that the banking bailout is already failing in that regard, i.e. money going to some of the fat cats in terms of those "golden parachutes" for which the money was not supposed to be used. Since both presidential candidates voted in favor of the banking bailout, I think we should have a right to expect that both of them, in their respective government positions, should lean heavy on seeing the funds are used as intended.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

It sounds like Rush may be sending his servants out to buy illegal drugs again!

nothing substantial so you just decide you should attack him? telling....

Quote Originally Posted by M Remington View Post
    It sounds like Rush may be sending his servants out to buy illegal drugs again!
    Didn't Obama admit to cocaine use. Maybe you should photo shop in a nose bleed on your avatar.
    Last edited by Hoosier; 11-15-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    Regardless of what you say about the automotive industry, 3 million jobs (auto and auto-related) are at stake. You want this country in a depression? Let them go broke and see where the country goes. Unless you're sitting on several hundred thousand dollars in CASH, you DON'T want that to happen.

The opportunity exists for a sea-change in the world of business. We should be praying for those that have to make the decisions that will affect us, our children, and our children's children........

Cooler heads MUST prevail regards,

kg
    Cooler heads? The best thing that can happen for the "Big 3" is for them to declare bankruptcy. If I recall correctly, most major airlines have declared bankruptcy and they are still around. Oh! I forgot! Barack, Harry and Nancy definitely would not want to put the unions in a postion of having to renegociate their contracts. Forgive me! I also forgot about the federal government guaranteeing the union pension funds (Pension Benifit Guarantee Coorporation -- Employment Retirement Income Security Act). My gosh, I just keep forgetting things! Barack, Harry and Nancy would not want everyone to know that the CAFE standards adversly affect American cars.

Maybe we should all write to or representatives and tell them to keep make revolving loans of $15 billion or more to the "Big 3" until the Republicans again have the majority, then we can blame the whole mess on them. After all, it doesn't matter if the loans never get paid back as long as the Democrats can use it to regain power. Isn't this the way government is supposed to work? Just ask Barney and Chris.

Thomas Jefferson believed that all governments, including our own, will eventually become corrupt and it is the responsibility of the people to overthrow corrupt governments. Has our government reached this point?
    Last edited by Paul Johnson; 11-15-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Paul, while I agree with part of your previous post (I am a huge believer in the free market), remember that bankruptcy is the step before failure. Do you want to go out and buy a new car and not know if you'll be able to get parts and service? That's the problem with bankruptcy. Now, lenders are even shying away from making loans to people who buy GM cars (fearing they could be out of business soon and their collateral will be worth less than the loan amounts). So, while I agree that making the Big 3 become more efficient and competitive, I think we're stuck with bailing them out.

As for the CAFE standards, they should be far harsher. If they had been harsher, the Big 3 wouldn't be having these problems. The Big 3 have failed to realize that people want more fuel efficient cars. The Japanese realized that long ago and, while having difficulties, are far sounder than American auto manufacturers.

The memories of Americans are only as long as the discomfort we experience. Several years from now, we'll have subprime mortages again, the Big 3 will build cars/trucks that have ridiculously low gas mileage, and people will be resume speculation in anythign they can.

The American government is not corrupt, American people are corrupt (Ben Stein calls us a "nation of looters."). Our work ethic is gone, we don't save money, we try to make as much money as quickly and irresponsibly as possible, and we try to screw anyone we can to save a buck.