The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Hey Remington....

  1. #31
    Senior Member K.Bullock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Coshocton, OH
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Actually Hoosier is correct; there have been several studies that have shown that on average blacks do test lower on IQ tests than whites across the board. Here is a link to one http://www.slate.com/id/2178122/entry/2178123/
    You said several ...I don't see one. Did you read the article you linked to? It was debunked by a whole barrel of scientists..
    And that was a blog ... A blog.
    Under "works cited" where would you put that?




    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Now bear in mind this is an article written in Slate which is hardly a bastion of conservative thinking.
    oh ok

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Finally, I do see the point Hoosier was trying to make, which is that no one race has a monopoly on poverty and disadvantage. Maybe, instead of dismissing as racist such studies, we should explore more and find out why traditional teaching methods are such abject failures on a subset of society.

    Maybe big college teacher Remington can chime in with some words of wisdom....
    Stick a fork in this one I am done. Thanks
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

  2. #32
    Senior Member Hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    864

    Default

    The reason I brought up The Bell Curve is this. I was talking to a friend who is a psychology professor at a local collage. We were talking about race relations and he told me that it's such a hot issue you can't even discuss the numbers. He has taught straight out of the text, and been accused of racism. The Bell Curve book was written using data from research by Arthur Jensen. The gap in scores narrows some in similar economic conditions but doesn't go away. To ignore the problem and call anyone who wants to address it ignorant or racist does nothing to solve it. Reactions like that only make the problems worse. I'm not saying I'm genetically superior to anyone. What I am saying is if you can't even discuss it the problem will remain along with the gap in income and social class. We've been trained to immediately jump on anyone with a view other then what's PC.

    And your right this probably was off subject.

    Hugs and Kisses
    Tremayne

  3. #33
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    The reason I brought up The Bell Curve is this. I was talking to a friend who is a psychology professor at a local collage. We were talking about race relations and he told me that it's such a hot issue you can't even discuss the numbers. He has taught straight out of the text, and been accused of racism. The Bell Curve book was written using data from research by Arthur Jensen. The gap in scores narrows some in similar economic conditions but doesn't go away. To ignore the problem and call anyone who wants to address it ignorant or racist does nothing to solve it. Reactions like that only make the problems worse. I'm not saying I'm genetically superior to anyone. What I am saying is if you can't even discuss it the problem will remain along with the gap in income and social class. We've been trained to immediately jump on anyone with a view other then what's PC.

    And your right this probably was off subject.

    Hugs and Kisses
    Tremayne
    The reality is that this debate has been around for a long time. One is stuck with a few facts. First, no one has ever figured out good ways to differentiate between the effects of biology (nature) and the effects of environment (nurture). Second, the variations within groupings are much greater than the variations between groupings. Third, differences in IQ test performance are of limited value in explaining differences in ultimate economic performance.

    The thing best predicted by IQ testing is performance on similar tests, not performance in life or the economy. On balance, I think the question is off topic. More importantly, it is irrelevant for almost any discussion that is not purely academic. I see little to suggest that white males, who are clearly stupider than white females and Asians of any sex (based on IQ tests), have suffered from their lack of brain power.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    864

    Default

    If the Christian coalition put up signs saying "Why believe in Allah" we wouldn't hear the end of it. It would be beaten to death in the media, and by our liberal friends as radical Christian fundamentalist stepping on poor minorities. We should be more accepting,blah, blah, blah. It's this double standard that's gotten old. I think you have to be evil to put something like that up.

  5. #35
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    If the Christian coalition put up signs saying "Why believe in Allah" we wouldn't hear the end of it. It would be beaten to death in the media, and by our liberal friends as radical Christian fundamentalist stepping on poor minorities. We should be more accepting,blah, blah, blah. It's this double standard that's gotten old. I think you have to be evil to put something like that up.
    With all respect, I see more commercials for Jesus than I do for toothpaste and breakfast cereals combined. Half (a slight exaggeration) of those tell me I will damned for eternity if I don't accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. The advertisement cited at the beginning of this thread is certainly less hostile and infinitely less likely to be seen than what I see daily. In fact, it's ironic that I never would have heard of this ad without this forum and I suspect that the poster wouldn't have seen it without republication by someone else.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    The reality is that this debate has been around for a long time. One is stuck with a few facts. First, no one has ever figured out good ways to differentiate between the effects of biology (nature) and the effects of environment (nurture). Second, the variations within groupings are much greater than the variations between groupings. Third, differences in IQ test performance are of limited value in explaining differences in ultimate economic performance.

    The thing best predicted by IQ testing is performance on similar tests, not performance in life or the economy. On balance, I think the question is off topic. More importantly, it is irrelevant for almost any discussion that is not purely academic. I see little to suggest that white males, who are clearly stupider than white females and Asians of any sex (based on IQ tests), have suffered from their lack of brain power.
    I read this & I read it again & couldn't believe you would say this. The does not validate nor excuse your last statement, nor the statements preceding.

    In my working career in private industry I worked with 2 separate demographic groups: Underground Miners & a demographic that consisted of some of the better Engineering Graduates of accredited universities. There is a major difference in case you missed it. Smarter people make smarter choices, it is only in government where the standards are low that someome can get by faking it.

    What I have found is all groups are wired differently. You might read the study on autism published a few months ago in Scientific American. It's very interesting.
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  7. #37
    Senior Member Hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    With all respect, I see more commercials for Jesus than I do for toothpaste and breakfast cereals combined. Half (a slight exaggeration) of those tell me I will damned for eternity if I don't accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. The advertisement cited at the beginning of this thread is certainly less hostile and infinitely less likely to be seen than what I see daily. In fact, it's ironic that I never would have heard of this ad without this forum and I suspect that the poster wouldn't have seen it without republication by someone else.
    I doubt those adds throw an insult at another religion before they try to recruit you.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Tatyana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    What I have found is all groups are wired differently. You might read the study on autism published a few months ago in Scientific American. It's very interesting.
    I would also highly recommend Chapter 5 of Steven Leavitt's Freakonomics (though the whole book is wonderful and worth reading).

  9. #39
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    I doubt those adds throw an insult at another religion before they try to recruit you.
    I'm missing the insult. The ad says "Why believe in a god? Be good for goodness' sake." How is that more hostile than "The end is near. Accept Jesus as your savior or be damned. Eternity lasts forever."

  10. #40
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I read this & I read it again & couldn't believe you would say this. The does not validate nor excuse your last statement, nor the statements preceding.

    In my working career in private industry I worked with 2 separate demographic groups: Underground Miners & a demographic that consisted of some of the better Engineering Graduates of accredited universities. There is a major difference in case you missed it. Smarter people make smarter choices, it is only in government where the standards are low that someome can get by faking it.

    What I have found is all groups are wired differently. You might read the study on autism published a few months ago in Scientific American. It's very interesting.
    Marvin,

    I'm not sure what parts of my statement you are questioning or the basis of your questions. Wikepedia notes that:

    "The American Psychological Association's report Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns[15] states that IQ scores account for about one-fourth of the social status variance and one-sixth of the income variance. Statistical controls for parental SES eliminate about a quarter of this predictive power. Psychometric intelligence appears as only one of a great many factors that influence social outcomes."

    By virtue of the luck of my birth, my schooling, and my employment, I have spent most of my life in environments where IQ's that were less than 3 standard deviations above average were considered to be a little slow. However, the smartest and most successful boss I ever worked for barely made it through a 4th rate college and worked hard to do it. What he had was drive and great judgment and that trumped raw intelligence every day.

    At 14 he worked part time emptying bed pans. At age 21, with his IQ of about 115, he was CEO and part owner of a NYSE $400 million temporary staffing company at a time when that qualified as Fortune 500. He sold that and bought a bankrupt environmental assessment laboratory that he turned into one of the top ten engineering consulting companies in the world before selling it to retire at the age of 40. He surrounded himself with smart people and I was happy to be one of them. Most of us understood completely why he was boss. Two of the smartest arranged the buyout that made my boss very wealthy. The two geniuses who engineered the takeover drove the company into bankruptcy within a year.

    Brains take many forms. IQ is just one of them and not necessarily the most important.

Similar Threads

  1. Remington 11-70
    By jetter87 in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 06:21 AM
  2. Remington 887
    By DSO in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
  3. remington e collars?
    By jimmyp in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 08:06 AM
  4. Remington 11-87
    By hdlabs in forum Product Review
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
  5. Remington guns
    By achiro in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •