The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coleman vs. Franken ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    I feel Coleman will pull it out unless the courts allow ALL of the absentee ballots in question to be counted.
    Why would the courts not allow all the votes to be counted and why would one not want all the votes to be counted??

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Lab Lover View Post
    Why would the courts not allow all the votes to be counted and why would one not want all the votes to be counted??
    Because, and you should know this being from Oregon, some sympathetic judges make rulings based on whatever political party put them in power. You might not count all the votes if some of the votes came from people that had no right to vote in the first place.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    Because, and you should know this being from Oregon, some sympathetic judges make rulings based on whatever political party put them in power. You might not count all the votes if some of the votes came from people that had no right to vote in the first place.
    I understand that but the original quote came across to me that since the votes came from MSP and it leans heavy to the left then those votes shouldn't be counted. Maybe I just took it the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Franken has a chance and isn't the airhead most believe him to be...
    Really?!?!

I think some of those ballets came in past the deadline.

I understand that but the original quote came across to me that since the votes came from MSP and it leans heavy to the left then those votes shouldn't be counted. Maybe I just took it the wrong way.
    The ballots in question were absentee ballots. An election judge could not access a storage unit and so kept them in a locked car overnight. I do not believe anything unseemly took place at all. The person did what they could and kept them secure.

It just happened they were from Mpls which voted very heavy Franken. As it now stands, I believe all of the ballots will be recounted/counted.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Let the process work itself out.

The certified vote margin was 206 votes. This margin, by statute (e.g. law), requires a recount. The local folks are conducting the recount as I type this. The system is working just as specified in law. All legitimate/legal votes should be counted and we shall see the end result. If you want to know the positions of the candidates visit their websites.

The Star Tribune is providing an on-going report on the status of the recount (http://ww2.startribune.com/news/metr...nt/msenco.html). As of this morning, 18% of votes have been recounted. Coleman has challenged 146 votes, Franken 123. Coleman has lost 86 votes to date and Franken 45, meaning the gap between the candidates has shrunk to 174 with Coleman leading. There will continue to be changes throughout the counting process. At the end, the canvass board, which includes two republicans, with the balance independents (no Democrats) will review all challenges. They will also need to decide whether to review absentee ballots that were excluded from the counts or leave that to subsequent judicial review. It is pretty clear that there are some number of absentee ballots that were excluded incorrectly and that absentee ballots in this election favor Franken. Coleman does not want these to be reviewed until a winner has been declared, saying that the individual affected can then sue. He sought to prevent districts from disclosing a list of excluded voters to the Franken campaign to prevent challenges. Franken has sued to obtain copies of the names of excluded voters so that challenges can be put together and errors corrected during the recount. So far this case has had to be filed in each district that refused to provide the names (many already have). Only one case was decided and Franken won.

Unlike Florida, Minnesota appears to have an essentially non-partisan process in place and a good track record of performing recounts. They routinely audit the effectiveness of their counting machines and have a good understanding on what factors contribute to errors. Based on this understanding the expectation is that the final vote counts for each candidate may vary by several hundred votes.

The Minnesota law specifically indicates that a human interpretation is the final determinant of a valid ballot since machines are known to produce errors. The margin of difference between the two candidates is well within the range that could have resulted from an erroneous machine count which is why the law mandates a manual recount. For all intents and purposes, the election ended in a tie subject to completion of the recount. The preliminary certification of results won't happen until December 16 when the canvass board meets. At that point it can be expected that the loser will file a court suit concerning excluded absentee ballots. Since several thousand absentee ballots were excluded and the final result will presumably be within a few hundred, those excluded ballots will ultimately determine the election which is why the Franken campaign has asked for a review of them to be included in the recount to avoid prolonging the process even further.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 11-20-2008 at 06:29 AM.

".......I'm smart enough. I'm good enough.....and Doggonit, people like me!"
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"