The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? about EIC

Default ? about EIC

We know the new test results are directing choices in breeding.And it should
    You wouldn't want to breed 2 carriers together.
    Ok here is the question
    Lets say you breed a carrier and a clear. some of the pups are going to be carriers and some clear. Since the test is available would you test the pups (before selling)and get spay nueter clauses in selling pups that were carriers? and then would you charge more for the clear pups and less for carriers?
    If the tool is there is it going to be used?
    Also There are great dogs out there that are carriers and I guess some are even affected. Should life go on as before or are we going to play like Hitler and TRY to produce a master race. Its kinda amaizing how far the dogs have come with out this technology in the early stages of devoloping this breed.

There to many people breeding Ole handy to ole ready for this to be bred out . non tested dogs, puppy mills good hunting dogs local papers. 100/300 dollar pups versus 1500 dollar pups most people that are wanting a lab will go for the cheaper pup,they aren't looking for competition dog just a good pet. Where do you draw the line.
    I know I am all over the place on this

I guess I am kinda saying Don't freak out and pass up good dogs out there for breeding, just because it may be a carrier just breed accordingly.

I know poor grammar,spelling,ect.....

Nope. Carrier puppies are not a problem as long as you disclose it. If that turns out to be the greatest field trial dog ever, people will want puppies from it, you just have to make sure it's only bred to a clear dog. Prices stay the same for all puppies. As far as I'm concerned, the buyers still have as good of a chance today as they did 3 months ago of having a great hunting dog, (or Ft or HT) the EIC test just gives people who want to breed one more tool to make sure they're breeding sound dogs.
    Chris Goeson

"Friends help you move, true friends help you move the bodies."

The point is to not breed AFFECTED dogs and carriers are not AFFECTED. EIC testing is just a tool to help reduce (elimination would be nice, but not likely) the number of AFFECTED dogs.

Carrier to Clear = OK
    Clear to Clear= OK
    Affected to Clear = OK
    Affected to carrier = NOT OK
    Affected to Affected= Your just stupid if you do it
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I debated for a long time how I was going to handle breeding my carrier. I'd be testing all the pups as I want to keep a clear for myself. The carrier pups will be offered with a limited registration at a discount or with full registration at full price. Limited registration can be lifted at any time by paying the difference. That way if you buy a pup at a discount and it turns out to be the next NFC you can have the full registration.
    Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
    www.northmountainretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    The point is to not breed AFFECTED dogs and carriers are not AFFECTED. EIC testing is just a tool to help reduce (elimination would be nice, but not likely) the number of AFFECTED dogs.

Carrier to Clear = OK
    Clear to Clear= OK
    Affected to Clear = OK
    Affected to carrier = NOT OK
    Affected to Affected= Your just stupid if you do it
    Whats your opinion on Carrier to Carrier?
    You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it

When I picked up my new puppy about 1 month ago, I handed over my check, the breeder handed me all the paperwork, and then stated, your puppy is an EIC carrier. By then I had already picked out my pup - not that there was much of a choice, it was one, or the other! So I had just grabbed one.

That's that - I'm ok with it. And I think that's the way it should be. He knows I know what to do and not to do. There are a million factors to consider when breeding, and just as many variables influencing the success of a competitive FT dog - EIC is but one of them. All things in perspective.
    Mimi Cary Drake
    Zipmarc Retrievers
    Just Train Your Dog ~ Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by zipmarc View Post
    When I picked up my new puppy about 1 month ago, I handed over my check, the breeder handed me all the paperwork, and then stated, your puppy is an EIC carrier. By then I had already picked out my pup - not that there was much of a choice, it was one, or the other! So I had just grabbed one.

That's that - I'm ok with it. And I think that's the way it should be. He knows I know what to do and not to do. There are a million factors to consider when breeding, and just as many variables influencing the success of a competitive FT dog - EIC is but one of them. All things in perspective.
    Just curious...did you ask if their status had been determined before selection?

I believe that a carrier puppy is more of a problem with a male than a female. A female if she is really good will be bred 2 or 3 times in her life, carrier or clear. A really good male is potentially bred hundreds of times in his life. Really good males for breeding are comparatively a dime a dozen. The really good male who is a carrier will in my opinion be bred a lot less in the future than an equally really good male who is clear.

Almost everyone who reaches in and picks a puppy out of a litter has at least the expectation that it will be the next really really good dog / national champion and hopes that it is going to turn out to be the next Lean Mac. When it doesn't it generally becomes a mute point.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by slidinstar View Post
    Whats your opinion on Carrier to Carrier?
    The idea is not to breed any affecteds. Carrier to carrier would statistically produce 25% affecteds or possibly more. You don't want to do that.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    The idea is not to breed any affecteds. Carrier to carrier would statistically produce 25% affecteds or possibly more. You don't want to do that.
    I agree....this hypothetical was not in the above post.