RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Need help with Knife selection-GDG

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Gov 
#1 ·
Every year we do a secret santa for my family and my brother is getting into cooking and wants a high quality knife for meat slicing and one for prep(cutting veggies etc) Anyone have any suggestions. I have no idea. Looking in the $30-70 range.

thanks

#2 ·
I have a couple of Messermeister knives that I really like. They are the Meridian Elite knives which aren't really the top of the line, but nice using knives. You might be able to find these in your price range or maybe just a little higher. I have an 8" carving knife that I use for nearly everything and also a 9" chef's knife for the bigger stuff.

#3 · (Edited)
I Know you won't go wrong with a benchmade. even the ones assembled in Tiawan. They have great steel hold an edge and good design.
Sorry didn't look at the cooking /meat slicing part.
As to that I got a Great knife while fishing down in Venus LA The guides were cutting fish up with them I bought one to cut meat at the house with IT IS DANGEROUS.
Cypress cove marina was the name of the place look them up it is at the hotel.
I have sliced turkey so thin you can read thru it, cut up deer, sliced steak that were bought in the bag, frozen sausage it'll "get r done" .Just don't touch the blade. OH YEAH it only cost around 20 bucks
Good luck

#5 ·
JW Henckels (sp) if he is getting serious about cooking, all the commericial chefs use them, they cost a few dollars more but they last forever, the second choice would be Cutco knives, theve have a lifetime guarantee too.

#8 ·
I have three types of knives that I have purchased for myself and both my kids: Wusthof Trident, Henckles Professional S, Chicago Cutlery walnut handled.

The first two are both forged blades. They sharpen easily and retain their edges for an extended period. Both are very expensive with 8-10" chef's knives running about $120-140 and set running in the hundreds of dollars. The chef's knife and Santoku knives are the ideal all-around knives for chopping vegetables, slicing meat, etc.

The Chicago Cutlery knives are rated Best Buys by CR. They have stamped blades with wood handles and are very well made. An 8" chef's knife runs about $22. I would suggest a set of Chicago Cutlery knives including a chef's knife, a bread knife (which can also be used as a ham cutter), a couple of paring knives, utility knife, block and sharpener. You can find a great 10-piece kit costing about $80 at http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=1019.

I have had my knives for over 20 years and have never had reason to throw one away or retire or replace it. My kids have each had their knives for 5-10 years without problems. On the Chicago Cutlery walnut handled knives, the handles to begin to appear a little dried out after the first decade, but it doesn't affect performance.

When my son was young, he got into selling the Cutco knives. They are very sharp and very durable. I find their handles very uncomfortable and their smooth blade knives not very useful. I do have and use their small serrated blade knife and their kitchen shears which can double as metal cutters. If their knives do become dull you have to send them back to the factory for sharpening. However, I have never had this experience since I don't use them enough.

#9 ·
Spend the extra money and go Wustoff. Forged blade. Lifetime warrenty. The 2 I use most often are the 12 inch Chef and the Santoku. It I had to have only 1 and it was primarily prep work, the Santoku.

Chicago Cut. are carbon steel and dull quickly. Henkels has 2 grades 1 is stamped 1 is forged. The forged is a decent knife. Williams Sonoma's house brand use to be made by Wustoff and is a good value and a forged blade. Another good knife is available in most supply houses and online and that is Dexter. A chef/cook friend of ours use those.

Spend the extra now and he will have the knife forever.

#10 ·
I have tried several different knife sets (including some from Williams-Sonoma) and they all do not compare to Cutco....we just got some, they have a lifetime warranty and my husband SLICED himself just pulling one out of the dishwasher so they shore are sharp!! ;)

They have a serrated edge and cut everything like it's butta!! :D:D

PM me if you are interested, I have a connection! LOL ;):D

#13 ·
Ihusband SLICED himself just pulling one out of the dishwasher so they shore are sharp!! ;)
LOL ;):D
I'd never put my cutlery in the dishwasher.

Back to the original question. I've got a set of henckels.

I'd also suggest a good sharpener for your knives...or send them out to a professional for sharpening.

#11 ·
Get him one of these:

http://www.mrslinskitchen.com/index...ProdID=16352&gclid=CPWoxq28gpcCFQKaFQodbAbkXQ

Get one for yourself too. These cleavers are used for slicing meat and vegetables, not chopping like other cleavers.

I don't have this exact one, mine cost $12 at a restaurant supply house. It is scary sharp, be careful. Mine's carbon steel, stainless would be nice, keep it oiled if you get carbon steel.

Search the web for others, there are a bunch on ebay. You can get them for $10 to $350 on the internet, mine has Japanese characters on the blade, they are fashionable and other traditional knife companies are making them too.

I can't help but admire it every time I use it. You can cut an onion slice so thin it hardly smells like an onion.

John Lash

#16 ·
Many good posts on brands. As for type, I prefer a santoku for prep work over a chefs knife, although either is fine. I am not in the restaurant business anymore, but I used to be a pro, and I think a santoku style knife is the way to go. If you look at Forschner by Victorinox, you could get a chefs knife and a santoku for the money you mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.