The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Bigger issue for sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by brian breuer View Post
    Never mind Russ. You also stated a while back that oil production has no noticeable impact on wildlife. I can't have a discussion with that mentality.

Brian
    I suppose it would be difficult arguing a point when it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    So tell me what you were doing in the 70's that leads you to this conclusion? And what "behind the scenes" intel are you privy to today that the rest of us are not?

I understand the HSUS and others have an agenda and are well funded, but they are FAR from mainstream.

Yes, closing public lands is to the liking of the "anti" groups for obvious reasons. But it does not follow that these "anti" groups alone are or can be successful in closing public lands. But the question posed was which is the larger issue for us? It doesn't take much to debunk the real motives of these groups and when push comes to shove, in the minds of most rational citizens (even the liberals) they will lose the debate.

JMO

JS
    JS, just so you know, HSUS is actually now very mainstream and it happens to have a very effective grassroots campaign that on the surface, appears to be aimed at helping homeless animals that we awful humans breed willy nilly and drop off at shelters. Of course we on this site know they have an ultimate agenda of ending all hunting, meat eating, leather using, animal research, etc. but the average person thinks they're a nice organization helping unwanted shelter animals. Even more insidious, HSUS thinks an animal life is worth more than a human life. But they are smart enough to present themselves in an oh-so-reasonable way as they recruit our increasingly urban population. Heck, they have even gotten many schools to introduce "humane" curriculum to impressionable children.

Given that most people think the HSUS is good, they care about animals, and they have our best interests at heart, it's ridiculously easy for them to recruit support on a local, state and national level for their divide and conquer initiatives. The same people that think HSUS helps all those poor abandoned kitties and puppies that festoon their mailings have no problem agreeing that yes, it's a great idea to ban hunting in public areas, using animals for science research, or whatever other nose-under-the-tent restrictions HSUS supports. In most cases HSUS staffers have actually written the restrictive local, state or federal legislation (PAWS anyone?) and simply found a friendly legislator to introduce it.

Remember also in the 1970s it was fairly common for kids to have at least a grandparent or someone they knew that hunted and/or came from a farm background. So they at least had a chance to hear about hunting and slaughter of beef, pork and chicken in a factual, positive manner. It is the rare child today that does not think meat comes from a tidy wrapped package in the supermarket. Bambi, and the HSUS mindset, is the way kids today are raised to think of animals.

So yes, we ALL should be afraid of the additional power HSUS will have with this new, ultra liberal administration and congressional majority.

It is hard for me to say that one issue is more important than the other. It seems that idealogues are either for one or the other, as 2nd Amendment rights are a pet issue for the right, and the environment is a pet issue for the left.

I seem to find very few people like myself who are both 'gun nuts' and 'enviro-whackos'. Personally, I would love to see sportsmen show the same passion for the environment as they do for the 2nd Amendment.

Not holding my breath, regards.
    The United States Imports 70% of Our Oil.
    What's the Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by backpasture View Post
    It is hard for me to say that one issue is more important than the other. It seems that idealogues are either for one or the other, as 2nd Amendment rights are a pet issue for the right, and the environment is a pet issue for the left.

I seem to find very few people like myself who are both 'gun nuts' and 'enviro-whackos'. Personally, I would love to see sportsmen show the same passion for the environment as they do for the 2nd Amendment.

Not holding my breath, regards.
    I have no idea what the paid subscription &/or additional readers of Field & Stream, Outdoor Life & Sports Afield are, but I do not believe these popular magazines to be one issue publications.

While it is convenient to pigeon hole groups of individuals I believe most individuals to be somewhat centric regarding these issues, recognizing there are those whose intentions are somewhat less honorable than what they profess. So a strident approach is a negotiating tactic to head off the wacko's.

I am sure our little city would desire I be more 1 issue oriented, along with my right to pack permit I am driving them nuts with my insistence that we make use of our natural assets in implementing the city's Storm Water Plan. The beauty of Elk, Deer, Geese, Ducks & other associated wildlife is something the youngsters of tomorrow should be able to view.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Julie,

While I do realize that HSUS, PETA, and other AR groups are well organized, funded, politically active and recognized as viable, I do not agree that makes them “main stream”.

You and I and nearly everyone here knows of HSUS’s unstated motives and missions. It’s a waste of time to preach to this choir. We know they are extremist organizations with deceptive names and are skillful at presenting their views. Who among us is not in favor of “ethical treatment of animals”? Who of us doesn’t treat our own animals “humanely” and think that is the right thing to do?

My disagreement is that their agenda would ever be found palatable to many. When I say, “It doesn't take much to debunk the real motives of these groups” I mean it. Have you ever had a rational conversation with one of their “supporters”? Next time you have the opportunity, try it. Explain to them, for example, that they are opposed to “people owning dogs”. They will look at you like you are crazy. But then ask them “if their extreme restrictions for mandatory spaying and neutering were implemented, where will you be able to buy the puppy you may want 10 years from now?”
    Explain how they pour through endless hours of video and documents to “uncover” an instance of abuse and then make a grandstand news item of it.

I have had conversations like this with at least a dozen folks just in passing and have never failed to at least get them to acknowledge “I didn’t realize that” or “I never thought of it that way”. I think I have changed at least a few minds. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have changed any minds by yelling or ranting at them or by calling them uninformed, idiot, wacko tree huggers. I probably would have just confirmed that I was another one of those “blood & guts wackos”. You will never be able to reason with the hard core cases ... forget them and move on. Those are NOT the mainstream, they’re just the noisiest.

There is a very good “write your congressman” post quoting a release from ASDA over on the training page. It’s long but it should be required reading. It describes us as a silent majority who are fairly ineffective because we spend our time ranting to each other about the threats while the “antis” are quietly going about spreading their message. They say that we (pet owners) are something like a 4-1 or 5-1 majority over HSUS sympathizers. I contend that our majority even much, MUCH greater. If you get face to face with those sympathizers, you find that they are casual, everyday citizens who don’t give much thought one way or another to pet ownership but if asked about “treating animals humanely”, of course, they will respond “yes”. Their support is very soft and when presented the “rest of the story”, they are usually pretty rational and reasonable.

Legislation gets introduced everyday. That takes nothing; tell a staff guy to write up blah, blah, blah, get a couple cosponsors and call a news conference. When the debate takes place, their agenda won’t fly with the average Joe.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Julie,

While I do realize that HSUS, PETA, and other AR groups are well organized, funded, politically active and recognized as viable, I do not agree that makes them “main stream”.
    JS, I would argue that they are, in fact, much more mainstream than the USSA or any single hunting or gun rights group, perhaps even the NRA. Children are now preached HSUS crap in elementary schools. As I said in that earlier post, it all sounds reasonable simply because they don't know any differently; they're too far removed from even knowing anyone who hunts or farms.

My disagreement is that their agenda would ever be found palatable to many. When I say, “It doesn't take much to debunk the real motives of these groups” I mean it.
    I have had conversations like this with at least a dozen folks just in passing and have never failed to at least get them to acknowledge “I didn’t realize that” or “I never thought of it that way”. I think I have changed at least a few minds. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have changed any minds by yelling or ranting at them or by calling them uninformed, idiot, wacko tree huggers.
    While you and I may have had conversations with 'at least a dozen' count on the fact that for every 'convert' you enlightened, two or three hundred more got their self-sticky HSUS address labels with the lil kitties and pups in the mail and used them. Or they got a PETA, HSUS or HAHS calendar (the latter is hooved animal humane society, one of my pet peeves because of the anti-horse slaughter crap, but I digress....) Most people honestly think that the shelters are overflowing with puppies that us evil breeders dropped off and that spay/neuter will solve all that. So they send in a few bucks to HSUS and when they next hear HSUS-sponsored, they think: "Oh, they are a good group. OK, I'll support that new law."

Legislation gets introduced everyday. That takes nothing; tell a staff guy to write up blah, blah, blah, get a couple cosponsors and call a news conference. When the debate takes place, their agenda won’t fly with the average Joe.

JS
    Yes, getting legislation introduced takes nothing. But when was the last time you heard of any of 'us' introducing legislation? Yet HSUS does it every day on a local, state and national level. They have a large, well funded staff devoted to doing just that. And THAT is what I mean by them being mainstream. Some of their stuff passes, you can expect with the increase in numbers of their friends in this new administration, a lot more of their initiatives will become law. Throw enough crap on the wall and some of it sticks.

I did read the long post you put up on the other board and agree fully. But then, I'm not part of the silent majority you need to convince, either

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Children are now preached HSUS crap in elementary schools. As I said in that earlier post, it all sounds reasonable simply because they don't know any differently; they're too far removed from even knowing anyone who hunts or farms.
    My wife was a public school teacher for 10 years at two different elementary schools. Both schools would receive HSUS bilge...including entire lesson plans complete with handouts, posters, stickers (an elementary-aged kid will shank his best friend for a book of stickers), etc. Many/most of the teachers would use the stuff without giving it any thought at all, as none of the materials had the overt bunny humper red-meat (pun intended) kind of stuff like we're used to seeing from them. It's all very subtle...but it is anti-hunting propaganda none-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    My wife was a public school teacher for 10 years at two different elementary schools. Both schools would receive HSUS bilge...including entire lesson plans complete with handouts, posters, stickers (an elementary-aged kid will shank his best friend for a book of stickers), etc. Many/most of the teachers would use the stuff without giving it any thought at all, as none of the materials had the overt bunny humper red-meat (pun intended) kind of stuff like we're used to seeing from them. It's all very subtle...but it is anti-hunting propaganda none-the-less.
    Hew and Julie,

I'm certainly not going to dispute what you say has happened in your areas, but my wife taught 5th & 6th grade science & social studies in public schools here for 34 years, retiring two years ago. She says that she never had any solicitation of any kind from any of these groups, never had any of their agenda or philosophy included in the curriculum, nor had it suggested that she should include it. Nor have any of her associates to her knowledge.

I suppose "be kind to animals" is a message that would be conveyed to students in some certain circumstances but what the heck, I remember that slogan from MY childhood! Certainly not something I would say "they are being taught". Must be a regional thing.

As far as address labels, etc., the only promotional item I have ever seen was a HSUS coffee cup that belonged to a "true believer". Something he purchased. Couldn't tell you how many Remington hats I have seen.

My only point about the legislation is that whenever something is introduced it makes news and the alarmists start wringing their hands. Seems to me it should come as no surprise they want to forward their agenda. Not saying we shouldn't watch and act accordingly. Just saying I don't believe that we have elected majority who is interested in taking away hunting rights. And the fear that the AR groups are "calling in their political markers" is a little exaggerated. There are a LOT of groups who have a LOT more influence than them.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I have no idea what the paid subscription &/or additional readers of Field & Stream, Outdoor Life & Sports Afield are, but I do not believe these popular magazines to be one issue publications.

While it is convenient to pigeon hole groups of individuals I believe most individuals to be somewhat centric regarding these issues, recognizing there are those whose intentions are somewhat less honorable than what they profess. So a strident approach is a negotiating tactic to head off the wacko's.

I am sure our little city would desire I be more 1 issue oriented, along with my right to pack permit I am driving them nuts with my insistence that we make use of our natural assets in implementing the city's Storm Water Plan. The beauty of Elk, Deer, Geese, Ducks & other associated wildlife is something the youngsters of tomorrow should be able to view.
    Marvin,
    Yes, it is convenient to pigeon hole the "hook and bullet" crowd and the "enviro" crowd but in my experience with both of these groups there is an unfortunate disconnect which does not allow folks to usually recognize that they have 60-90% in common on the issues that would conserve their long-term interests. In my experience, it is mostly is due to misconceptions. The hook and bullet types assume the enviros are left wing radicals with PETA tendencies and the enviros assume the hook and bullet types just cling to their guns, etc. Overall, I do not think the hook and bullet publications do a good job at crossing this divide. The Izaak Walton League seems to be the most centric organization but it is not all that popular compared to other organizations.

I applaud your efforts on "natural assets" for stormwater management. I suggest you search "conservation design" to find model ordinances for communities to keep open space, plan for stormwater, and allow for economic development for the long term. There is also some good literature on "natural amenities" out there that may be helpful. There are also great suggestions out there on using or mimicking natural landscape features in stormwater design. The hard engineering approach is losing favor but older engineers may not be aware of this and LGU folks often don't have any interest in change. PM me to continue this discussion or post here to continue this diversion.

I'm certainly not going to dispute what you say has happened in your areas, but my wife taught 5th & 6th grade science & social studies in public schools here for 34 years, retiring two years ago. She says that she never had any solicitation of any kind from any of these groups, never had any of their agenda or philosophy included in the curriculum, nor had it suggested that she should include it. Nor have any of her associates to her knowledge.
    Maybe the HSUS figures that kids in Iowa are so much closer to the business end of a sausage link that they didn't want to waste their money.

Here's a website with HSUS-supplied lesson plans for pre-school through 6th grade: http://www.kindnews.org/teacher_zone/lesson_plans.asp Note that the only place where you'll find anything identifying the site as HSUS (including the URL) is at the very bottom, in teensy weeny type. Google "hsus lesson plans" and you'll get an eye-full of other scary stuff.

But I do get your bigger point, JS.