The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question: Bigger issue for sportsman

Thanks for the good discussion on this. I got sent on the road this week which adds 4 hours to my day so my time for contributions has been minimal.

I completely agree that it shouldn't be an either or issue. I only raised the (poorly worded) quesiton as to try and figure out which type of issue would be the most likely to decrease the level of our outdoors pursuits as we have them today.

In regards to Henry's comments, I think some "sportsman's" orgs are working towards crossing over. I was really pleased to see Morgan Freeman do his plug for DU. I also think the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation works hard on its mainstream image. Cooperation is key and I agree the moderates in both groups have very similiar goals.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    Marvin,
    Yes, it is convenient to pigeon hole the "hook and bullet" crowd and the "enviro" crowd but in my experience with both of these groups there is an unfortunate disconnect which does not allow folks to usually recognize that they have 60-90% in common on the issues that would conserve their long-term interests. In my experience, it is mostly is due to misconceptions. The hook and bullet types assume the enviros are left wing radicals with PETA tendencies and the enviros assume the hook and bullet types just cling to their guns, etc.... snip ...
    Excellent point Henry, and very well stated.

I have forever been bewildered by the divide between these two interests. Never been much of a fisherman but I have enjoyed most of my life in the outdoors hunting (mostly bird hunting), but also backpacking, hiking & climbing, canoeing & rafting, and for many years spent nearly all my vacation time on my bicycle. (Father Time has significantly scaled all that back! )

I guess I can understand the "enviros"' anti- "hook & gun" attitude more than vice versa. It's a selfish attitude, but at least I can understand how one can enjoy the outdoors without necessarily carrying a gun or tackle. I cannot perceive continued hunting and fishing opportunities in a diminishing environment. We need to understand that our grandkids will not have the opportunity to enjoy any of these things if we do not take care of the environment as well as we preserve our gun rights.

I guess it's like a lot of life. We can agree on almost everything really, but we look hard for those things where we disagree and work ourselves into a frenzy trying to "enlighten" the other side to our way of thinking.

How did we ever get to the moon?

JS
    Last edited by JS; 11-25-2008 at 10:30 AM.
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post

How did we ever get to the moon?

JS
    Did we?

The problem is that even groups like Boone and Crockett and Fair chase will throw other sportsmen under the bus when they don't like how game was killed. They were siding with HSUS in condemning tower shoots even though HSUS would ban ALL hunting if the chance was available. HSUS is a predator picking off not so popular forms of hunting with the end goal to be easier after most sportsmen have given up. The same goes for other outdoor sports such as mountain biking, Jet Skis and pleasure boating and off road vehicles.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by baoerji9527 View Post
    How to buy UGG sheepskin boots?Everyone who wear the UGG sheepskin boots will get many benefits. UGG boots are made to be worn barefoot as they will form to your feet and provide natural arch support. When buying a pair of sheepskin boots or ugg boots (premier brand in luxury and comfort footwear), there are many things to look for:First of all, you must make sure your sheepskin boots are actually made out of 100% authentic sheep skin. Some manufacturers use cheap substitutes such as gluing synthetic wool on to cow hide. These imitation sheepskin boots come at a cheaper price tag, but unfortunately the less expensive alternatives may cause skin irritations, encourage bacteria growth, wear down, tear quickly and noticeably less comfortable. http://www.shoppingugg.com When buying sheepskin boots, make sure they are manufactured from quality Australian Merino wool. Australian Merino sheepskin boots are considered the best material for making sheepskin boots and it also ensures that you will be able to use them for many years. Authentic wool also allows your feet to breathe and help reduce feet sweating. Merino sheep skin is by and large thicker and much more durable than other kinds of sheep skin, which helps your boots keep their shape as well as resist wear and tear. By purchasing sheepskin boots made from merino wool and sheep skin, you will be guaranteed that not only will they be the most comfortable pair of sheepskin boots you'll ever own, but they will also last for a long time to come. I have included some links if you would like to learn more about sheepskin boots or youwant to know where can buy some UGG Boots - Australia markets the premier brand in luxury and comfort. Their many products fit into your every day life offering you products that are fashionable, comfortable, and attainable.Ugg Boots have been made and worn in Australia/China for over 50 years and "Ugg" is not associated with any brand or style of sheepskin boot. So if your looking for real australian made ugg boots look no further than Shopping Ugg See our full range of Cardy UGG Boots , Classic Short UGG Boots , Classic Tall UGG Boots , Metallic UGG Boots , Sundance UGG Boots and now even new Mini UGG Boots then you can find all the love from australia right here.
    what the hell kinda crap is that

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    what the hell kinda crap is that

Spammmmmmmmmmm
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Uggs are soooo 2007.