The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Understanding the "WHY" of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Being basically religeous...at least to the degree I'm a Christian...it's hard to understand what HIS plan is here. Especially when I see how many Catholics voted against their basic beliefs. Are there that many 'guilt-ridden' americans that voted their feelings above all else?
    To address the "Catholics voted against their basic beliefs" thought:

I work for a Catholic institution. There was a great deal of discussion regarding "sanctity of life" issues in relation to the platforms and candidates on both local and national levels. While the abortion part of the "sanctity of life" issues was, of course, a significant factor in the discussion, so too were the issues of the war and its troop and "collateral damages" sorts of losses as a sanctity of life issue, the death penalty, and--in a more general way--poverty and justice issues related to sanctity of life beliefs.

It wasn't as simple as a litmus test, and the election was discussed very thoroughly and seriously. Like, hopefully, the rest of the electorate, the Catholics I know voted because of their basic beliefs, not "against their basic beliefs."

I've been feeling guilt-ridden for not responding to this sooner...
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post

You DEFINITELY are Catholic!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    You DEFINITELY are Catholic!!
    Nope, not Catholic--

Neurotic.
    --Greta Ode

To address the "Catholics voted against their basic beliefs" thought:

I work for a Catholic institution. There was a great deal of discussion regarding "sanctity of life" issues in relation to the platforms and candidates on both local and national levels. While the abortion part of the "sanctity of life" issues was, of course, a significant factor in the discussion, so too were the issues of the war and its troop and "collateral damages" sorts of losses as a sanctity of life issue, the death penalty, and--in a more general way--poverty and justice issues related to sanctity of life beliefs.

It wasn't as simple as a litmus test, and the election was discussed very thoroughly and seriously. Like, hopefully, the rest of the electorate, the Catholics I know voted because of their basic beliefs, not "against their basic beliefs."

This was my friends reasons. Interesting to note though, no where are we asked to help Caesar(the government) take care of the poor. The Church is responsible for the poor and widows around us. And when we compromise a basic belief such as the sanctity of life, in order to ensure that the government is more just to poor. We have stepped out on the edge of unsound doctrine. In that case the church has very little to do with who or how we choose.

The church has done very well in these areas and in some cases like Katrina, the church has proven much more efficient at getting help to those in need. So why do we need Caesar?

I believe your Bishop's are right in calling out the faithful that go against the church who are claiming it is because of their belief they are doing it.

I am not saying that the church should choose for you. I am only saying that they are right in not letting church doctrine be redefined simply because at the present time, the culture doesn't agree.
    Last edited by K.Bullock; 11-25-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Kevin, too much to say--not "my" Bishop, and too much to say about everything. I'd say we'll talk the next time we bump into each other training, but I try to keep most talk about religion purely academic, and thus it's a bit dull unless you're as big a nerd as I am--and few are--so I just avoid it!

Just wanted to make sure one of Bill's points was responded to.
    --Greta Ode

Kevin, too much to say--not "my" Bishop, and too much to say about everything. I'd say we'll talk the next time we bump into each other training, but I try to keep most talk about religion purely academic, and thus it's a bit dull unless you're as big a nerd as I am--and few are--so I just avoid it!

Just wanted to make sure one of Bill's points was responded to.
    What is dull about old dead guys? I would love to hear your thoughts sometime.

If you have it in your plans to make it up this way that would be great. Jake has been looking through the Foster's and Smith catalog at sweaters ..I had better get him out of the house soon.

Off the hook you go. See ya out in the field.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Bullock View Post
    Off the hook you go. See ya out in the field.
    Whew!!! I get enough religion at work--can't let too much of it go on in my cyber or dog worlds!

Can't have the dogs going through the magazines--they may order something. I haven't been as diligent as I could be, either. Atticus is in his favorite chair by the heat register with a copy of Dr. Zhivago right now, which explains why he couldn't pick out a slot on a blind the other day...

Ed S., Marty B., me, Leslie, a couple of the flat-coat folks... we try, at least, to train regularly even in winter. Next time there's a group going out to Woodbury I'll give you a head's up, or if you want to go over by Delaware let me know, there might be someone training out that way.

--Greta Ode
    --Greta Ode