The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Fight -- Public Land Hunting

Default Dog Fight -- Public Land Hunting

I went hunting on public land with my dog (Divot) and a buddy with his son and their dog. We got separated while Divot was retrieving a crippled rooster that had run off. I was startled by a lot of commotion. I looked down a hedgerow about 70 yards away and my buddy's dog was in a fight with another dog. At that time, I whistle sat my dog and we stayed at a distance watching the ruckus. I was proud of him obeying my WHISTLE SIT command. I was also little perturbed because the other dogs owner was laughing at the two dogs fighting. Eventually they separated and each went on his way. I found out later (one-sided story) that the other dog had come running over with his lip curled and teeth showing. That he also had bit the boot of my buddy's son who was trying to separate them. I understand later that night my buddy's dog became lame and had puncture wounds from teeth bite in his chest and front legs. He'll be on the "injured reserve" list for a couple of weeks.

Has anyone else experienced a situation like this? Why the heck was that guy laughing? What does everyone do with a situation like that? Why do people bring an uncontrolled dog into the field?

Thankfully, my dog was not involved at all. -- Others who saw the incident remarked at how he remote sat on the whistle. I told them that's what we train for. Ninety percent of the dogs we run into while out on public land are untrained and run all over the place - there are exceptions but they are few and far between in NJ. I guess there's no way to stop this but yet another reason we should train our dogs. (I'm preaching to the choir - I'm sure)
    Last edited by caglatz; 11-28-2008 at 09:31 PM.

I have no answers, but am sorry to hear about your buddy's dog. I hope he got some vet care as punctures can lead to some very nasty infections.

I hate to say it but I'd have very likely lost my temper if someone laughed about their dog being attacking one of mine... I'd probably end up in worse shape, unfortunately but I really don't like mean dogs and mean people! Anne

That is one of the reasons my husband tries to avoid public land. There aren't a ton of choices, but our clm is so mellow and friendly. He's also complained a great deal about the untrained dogs on public land. It's frustrating. Sorry to hear about your buddy's dog.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

I think that a lot of people with untrained dog fit into the catagory that takes pride in haveing a dog that can beat up your dog. I kinda remember having a attitude like that myself about 50 years ago, luckily my memory is fading so I can't recall the specifics. While a lot of dog owners are very responsible and do their best in keeping their untrained dogs under control and out of trouble, there are some around that still have that cave man mentality. Bud

Sorry to hear about this. If that was my dog and I was trying to separte them and the owner was laughing he would probably not like the way that I would be PHYSICALLY separating his dog. I have done this with my house dog at a park once and the guy was like hey man dont kick my dog, and I said control your dog your lucky I didnt kick it in the head!!!!! That shut him up. His dog hadnt gone after mine but it wasnt backing down so a hard kick to the side changed its mind. My dog isnt going to get hurt because so Jacka$$ cant control his!!!!!!!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. If that was my dog and I was trying to separte them and the owner was laughing he would probably not like the way that I would be PHYSICALLY separating his dog. I have done this with my house dog at a park once and the guy was like hey man dont kick my dog, and I said control your dog your lucky I didnt kick it in the head!!!!! That shut him up. His dog hadnt gone after mine but it wasnt backing down so a hard kick to the side changed its mind. My dog isnt going to get hurt because so Jacka$$ cant control his!!!!!!!!
    I run my dogs in a field outside of town 3-4 times a week. There's acres and acres of open grass, and yet the last two times this guys lets his dumb beagle jump out of the car window as he pulls up and run full speed at my dogs. Yesterday he grabbed the tennis ball I was chucking. I thought it was over then. I blew the "hear" whistle and that little jerk took off with the tennis ball.

I don't care about people letting their dogs run, I do it too, but mine are really under control, and come to the whistle. Fortunately the tennis ball isn't as valuable to them as the bumper, because I think that might have gotten ugly.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

A friends' dog was bitten in a park in Seattle by another dog. Owner denied any wrong doing, police wouldn't do anything. Police gave a report with names and what each party claimed happened. Melissa had a witness, got her name and number then, invited her to small claims court. She was awarded vet bill costs to the tune of $450 for some stitches.

Yup, ran into it this year. The dogs didn't get into a fight. But we were set up off of a point. Some guys came cruising by and asked if we were picking up. We said yes we are. So they park their boat about 100 yards down from us. Two dogs jump out and start running around like crazy. They didn't say no here, nothing. Let them run over where we had a dog laying down. The two dogs wanted to play, but what if the dog we had wasn't friendly???

I don't think people always use common sense. That's just something you have to be ready for on good ol public land.
    Rainbow's November Rain MH***
    Freeridin' Whiskey River Don't Run Dry***

I do not turn my dogs loose where there are other dogs. TBS - over the years I have had several situations where that one lone individual thought it would be cute to get their dog near yours.

In all cases I heel my dog so it is under my protection, I always tell the other person they need to get their dog under control - in 1 case I told the person if his dog approached mine the dog was dead, in 2 other cases a swift kick to the chops did the trick. Fortunately, most know that no one wins a dog fight, so they try to avoid one. & others are just plain good citizens like you & I are about the dogs.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

It's a sad fact that there are so many untrained and undisciplined dogs...and owners...out there, but it's a fact of life. No surprises there.

When my Sadie and I train in public-accessible areas, not only am I even more vigilant than normal, but I also carry OC spray (aka bear spray). I've used it once when we were training. A bunch of young knotheads turned their Pit Bull loose and it charged us...my Sadie stayed at heel, I squatted down next to her and held her by her collar (just to be safe), and when that snarling thing got within range I gave him a face full of the OC spray. The 20-somethings started raising hell, but I offered to let them have some, too, before I called the police...they decided it was time to pile into their car and go elsewhere.

I really didn't like doing that, even to a Pit...but I'll be damned if I'm taking any chances on my Sadie being injured (or worse) by some untrained and undisciplined dog, much less one that has obviously been trained to be aggressive.