The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Games at Gitmo

Default Playing Games at Gitmo

As it turns out Obama will not be shutting down Gitmo as promised on the Campaign trail. ...wow who would have thunk it?

November 26, 2008 12:00 AM

Playing Games at Gitmo
    Nothing clarifies the mind like a jihadi boomerang.

By Michelle Malkin

The human-rights crowd is right: Life is hard for a Guantanamo Bay detainee. The deprivation is unspeakable. According to the facility’s “cultural adviser,” their brains have not been “stimulated” enough. So this Thanksgiving, America is drawing up plans to provide the 250 or so suspected jihadists at the “notoriously Spartan” detention camp with basic sustenance including, as reported by the Miami Herald, movie nights, art classes, English-language lessons, and “Game Boy-like” electronic devices.

Next up: Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, Sudoku, People magazine, and macrame. Anything less would be uncivilized.

On a deadly serious note, the detainees aren’t the only ones playing games at Gitmo. Some top legal advisers and supporters of Barack Obama, whose name detainees chanted on election night, are now rethinking the president-elect’s absolutist campaign position on shutting the center down and flooding our mainland courts with every last enemy combatant designee. Yes, reality bites. And Democrats must now grapple with the very real possibility that an Obama administration could potentially release a Gitmo denizen who would turn around and commit mass terrorist acts on American soil or abroad.

Nothing clarifies the mind like a jihadi boomerang. Never before have an administration and its followers matured so quickly in office — and they haven’t even taken office yet.

While Obama paid lip service to the “Close the Gitmo gulag!” agenda on 60 Minutes over the weekend, his kitchen cabinet is proceeding more pragmatically. Believe it or not, the Obama crowd is now contemplating a preventive detention law and an alternative judicial system for the most sensitive national security cases involving the most highly classified information — information that has no place being aired in the civilian courts for public consumption.

Listen to relentless Bush critic David Cole, who told the New York Times last week: “You can’t be a purist and say there’s never any circumstance in which a democratic society can preventively detain someone.” Added Ben Wittes of the Brookings Institution: “I’m afraid of people getting released in the name of human rights and doing terrible things.”

Moreover, Obama transition team members have suggested to The Wall Street Journal that despite his campaign season CIA-bashing, “Obama may decide he wants to keep the road open in certain cases for the CIA to use techniques not approved by the military, but with much greater oversight.”
    http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...RjOWIzOGEzMzk=
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

So, let me get this straight... Her problem is that she doesn't think that Gitmo should be shut down, and there are some Obama supporters that apparently agree with her, which to her indicates that the Obama team is 'playing games' with Gitmo? I think Obama has made his intentions quite clear, even though he may have some supporters and/or advisors who don't agree with that approach.

Since she doesn't want Gitmo closed, shouldn't be applauding that dissention?

I guess when you have to fill column space with righteous indignation each week that the material starts to run pretty thin. Bill Buckley must be spinning in his grave.
    The United States Imports 70% of Our Oil.
    What's the Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by backpasture View Post
    So, let me get this straight... Her problem is that she doesn't think that Gitmo should be shut down, and there are some Obama supporters that apparently agree with her, which to her indicates that the Obama team is 'playing games' with Gitmo? I think Obama has made his intentions quite clear, even though he may have some supporters and/or advisors who don't agree with that approach.

Since she doesn't want Gitmo closed, shouldn't be applauding that dissention?

I guess when you have to fill column space with righteous indignation each week that the material starts to run pretty thin. Bill Buckley must be spinning in his grave.
    ? I am not sure we are reading the same article.

We are reading the same article.

There is nothing there that suggest that Obama has had a change of heart regarding Gitmo. The only thing she can claim is that some 'top legal advisors and supporters' don't agree with that approach.

There is nothing in the article supporting the claim that "Obama will not be shutting down Gitmo as promised on the Campaign trail". It's all speculation (aka - a fantasy). The only sources she cites aren't even affiliated with the Obama team.

Typical Malkin drivel.

What's the Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by backpasture View Post
    We are reading the same article.

There is nothing there that suggest that Obama has had a change of heart regarding Gitmo. The only thing she can claim is that some 'top legal advisors and supporters' don't agree with that approach.

There is nothing in the article supporting the claim that "Obama will not be shutting down Gitmo as promised on the Campaign trail". It's all speculation (aka - a fantasy). The only sources she cites aren't even affiliated with the Obama team.

Typical Malkin drivel.

Oh I see now. Never mind the legal, logistical and constitutional problems of closing an off shore facility and bringing untried prisoners onto U.S. soil.

The photograph clearly makes your case. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Bullock View Post
    Oh I see now. Never mind the legal, logistical and constitutional problems of closing an off shore facility and bringing untried prisoners onto U.S. soil.

The photograph clearly makes your case. My bad.
    Yep. Malkin is a joke. And she's a joke because she writes nonsense like this.
    What's the Plan?

If it were up to me, I would give the prisoners the right to leave a long time ago. They could stay as prisoners by signing a contract waiving all rights, or swim home.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Miss Malkin in an erudite, educated conservative but she is a bit left of my thoughts on gitmo. I would give each of the detainees a summary court martial and a first class hanging. Then they can close the place.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Britton View Post
    If it were up to me, I would give the prisoners the right to leave a long time ago. They could stay as prisoners by signing a contract waiving all rights, or swim home.

BP wants to have them over for thanksgiving dinner and a handshake
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    Miss Malkin is an erudite...
    I don't think that word means what you think it means... I think the word you are looking for is 'shrill'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    I would give each of the detainees a summary court martial and a first class hanging.
    Well, a court martial would be a much better solution than what they have now -- which is indefinite detainment and no trial. I would be all for court martials or some other type of hearing for the lot of them.

As for the hanging, you would carry that out regardless of the outcome of the court martial? Personally, I prefer we only hang the ones that are actually guilty of terrorism and/or war crimes.
    What's the Plan?