The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: What Would Jesus Do?????

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,358

    Thumbs down What Would Jesus Do?????


    I read the news today oh boy
    A Wal-Mart worker was killed black Friday
    All he did was unlock the door
    2000 people trampled him to death.

    So...... black Friday is the start of the Christmas Shopping season.

    Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
    Yes everyone knows it is not really the birthday of Jesus but early Christians needed to replace the winter pagan celebration with something to promote conversions. So, it is the "Celebration" of the birth of the Christ. Will these heartfelt gifts hold even more meaning for the people both giving and receiving knowing that a person WAS KILLED in order to purchase world of war 2 for junior to play with on Christmas morning? To get in such a frenzy over shopping?????

    What would Jesus do???

    Ken Bora

    ps- I figured it out after typing this. He would forgive them of course. Probably why he is a better person than I am.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    I heard the same story and just amazed that people get that worked up over a toy…maybe we are a nation of infidels.

  3. #3
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    I have never understood standing in line to get into a store.

    Although back in the 70s I stood in line to see Star Wars!

    In a mob like acceleration it is easy to wonder if one would actually recognize they stepped on someone while running into the store (could they have thought it was a rolled carpet), if that someone were hurt, if you caused any hurt, if you could have stopped, if you could have helped, if…

    All things are easy from the cheap seats.


  4. #4
    Senior Member Bruce MacPherson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jewell, Ore
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Not a nation of infidels, a nation of "me first", perhaps.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Gun_Dog2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mohawk Valley
    Posts
    8,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I read the news today oh boy
    A Wal-Mart worker was killed black Friday
    All he did was unlock the door
    2000 people trampled him to death.

    So...... black Friday is the start of the Christmas Shopping season.

    Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
    Yes everyone knows it is not really the birthday of Jesus but early Christians needed to replace the winter pagan celebration with something to promote conversions. So, it is the "Celebration" of the birth of the Christ. Will these heartfelt gifts hold even more meaning for the people both giving and receiving knowing that a person WAS KILLED in order to purchase world of war 2 for junior to play with on Christmas morning? To get in such a frenzy over shopping?????

    What would Jesus do???

    Ken Bora

    ps- I figured it out after typing this. He would forgive them of course. Probably why he is a better person than I am.
    What would Jesus do? He would condemn their actions. First he never said celebrate his birth. He said remember his death and what it stood for. In his day, only pagan rulers celebrated thier birth. Second, the celebration of his birth is not really a celebration of his birth. That is a cover story used to wrap numerous pagan celebrations into one end of year celebration. How do you think Jesus feels about that? For most, Christmas today is not even about Christ. Big business has turned it into a commercial endeavor and its mostly a time to get off work and do family things.

    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

    Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

    https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Ararat, PA USA
    Posts
    604

    Default

    I couldn't believe this either.. I never go shopping on Black Friday!

    Jesus is certainly dissapointed in what "materialism" exists.

    I give "homemade" gifts,and don't focus on the video games like my kids would like.

    I don't participate in our families gift exchange for the kids, as they pick all the expensive,must have nonsense.. I don't agree with it..

    my niece spends a few hundred dollars a month on texting her friends,, dont get it..

    I pray for the family on the person who was just trying to earn a paycheck,and lost his life.. how sad..

    God Bless, Maria

  7. #7
    Senior Member Joe S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Although back in the 70s I stood in line to see Star Wars!
    Damn, we could be twins: I stood in line for Star Wars, too.

    Obi Wan Regards,

    Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin

  8. #8
    Senior Member K.Bullock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Coshocton, OH
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

    I read the news today oh boy
    A Wal-Mart worker was killed black Friday
    All he did was unlock the door
    2000 people trampled him to death.

    So...... black Friday is the start of the Christmas Shopping season.

    Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
    Yes everyone knows it is not really the birthday of Jesus but early Christians needed to replace the winter pagan celebration with something to promote conversions. So, it is the "Celebration" of the birth of the Christ. Will these heartfelt gifts hold even more meaning for the people both giving and receiving knowing that a person WAS KILLED in order to purchase world of war 2 for junior to play with on Christmas morning? To get in such a frenzy over shopping?????

    What would Jesus do???

    Ken Bora

    ps- I figured it out after typing this. He would forgive them of course. Probably why he is a better person than I am.
    Great topic check this out >>>http://www.adventconspiracy.org/
    Make sure you click the video:
    Even if you don't get involved, they have some interesting ideas.



    The story of Christ's birth is a story of promise, hope, and a revolutionary love.

    So, what happened? What was once a time to celebrate the birth of a savior has somehow turned into a season of stress, traffic jams, and shopping lists.

    And when it's all over, many of us are left with presents to return, looming debt that will take months to pay off, and this empty feeling of missed purpose. Is this what we really want out of Christmas?

    What if Christmas became a world-changing event again?
    BTW: Nice Deer
    Last edited by K.Bullock; 12-01-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Unlike you two Joes...I stopped standing in line when I returned from Germany and received my discharge.

    I wasn't the originator of the story, but I was a repeater of it.... about the first Sgt musing to the short-timer that he'd probably be looking forward to pissing on his grave some day. But the short-timer said "no". "Why not?" asked the 1st Sarge. "Because I promised myself that once I left the military, I'd never again stand in line." stated the soldier. Those were my sentiments as well.

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    905

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Unlike you two Joes...I stopped standing in line when I returned from Germany and received my discharge.

    I wasn't the originator of the story, but I was a repeater of it.... about the first Sgt musing to the short-timer that he'd probably be looking forward to pissing on his grave some day. But the short-timer said "no". "Why not?" asked the 1st Sarge. "Because I promised myself that once I left the military, I'd never again stand in line." stated the soldier. Those were my sentiments as well.

    UB
    UB

    Too many years ago then I can remember ,very, very young ,once told a Sgt his grave would be well taken care of and promised no grass would grow on it as there would be a long line! of those that would water it. It cost me a little but it was worth it.

    Earl
    Earl Dillow

Similar Threads

  1. How Obama is like Jesus...GDG
    By Legacy 6 in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •