The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston Area Professionals/ Trainers

Default Houston Area Professionals/ Trainers

I have a 12 month old CLM and have taken an internship in the Houston area for the summer of 2009 and am apprehensive of being able to continue training and even being able to keep him with me. I'm curious about area kennels and costs for around a 12 week period beginning around the 19th of May. Thanks!
    Jordon

Jim Davis of Limestone kennels has a good setup & I'm sure he's priced with the market. HIS PHONE NUMBER IS 713-823-9341.

First thing to know is what kind of training are you interested in and where in the program your dog is. I can't document this, but I'm willing to bet that with 7 area retriever clubs and 18 or so HTs and FTs a year there is no greater density of hunting retriever, field trial and hunt test dogs in the country than around the greater Houston area. And where there's that many dogs and enthusiastic owners, you're going to have a lot of trainers to chose from.

Houston is far from being land-locked as well, so in a 100-mile radius you have a lot of good training grounds where you'll find Farmer, Rorem, Eckett, Gunzer, etc, etc, etc. I have a lot of respect for, and would recommend James Davis, depending on what you're looking for. Send me a PM if I can help guide you.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 2-Dogs View Post
    Houston is far from being land-locked as well, so in a 100-mile radius you have a lot of good training grounds where you'll find Farmer, Rorem, Eckett, Gunzer, etc, etc, etc.

Mark
    In may, most of those guys will be heading up north.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    In may, most of those guys will be heading up north.
    Well, yes, there is that indisputable fact that it gets hotter than the gates of hell here in the summer, but we've learned how to live with it .

ml

Ken Stupka . Black Dog Kennels in Rosenberg Tx, I knew him way back when we were younger men running the Tx circuit. His cousin Wayne is a DVM and currently running the FT circuit..(281)342-9394
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Chet and Sandra Beatty have the best setup around for boarding retrievers HANDS DOWN. long time AKC hunt test trainers and enthusiasts, Chet has been fortunate enough to retire and run the busiiness he and his wife and son love - training, boarding, and waterfowl guiding.

i left my dog with them for 3 weeks while in Europe and i could not have picked a better place. if your dog ius a trained retriever they will toss bumpers for them daily in ponds right next to the kennels that are cleaned 2x daily. and when you visit you can train on their grounds yourself.

http://www.crrcinc.org/wantads.html

the place is hospital clean, good retriever-minded folks, and just good people to know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2-Dogs View Post
    Well, yes, there is that indisputable fact that it gets hotter than the gates of hell here in the summer, but we've learned how to live with it .

ml
    exactly - start at 6am, every other retrieve in water, ice bags on the ground to lay on, and plenty of cold beer for the handlers...

I know a pro that is a member of the Colorado River Retriever Club. He is in the Angleton area. Angleton is about 50 miles south of Houston. He is very reasonable. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you the info.

I would highly recommend Bryan Lee in Sealy TX! Bryan is a very hard worker and is very good with dogs. Doesn't keep a bunch of dogs, that way he can concentrate on the ones he has! Very nice place and I can promise you your dog will not be treated any better anywhere else. His # is 979-877-0026