Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok ...a little spooky.

Default Ok ...a little spooky.

Pentagon to Detail Troops to Bolster Domestic Security

By Spencer S. Hsu and Ann Scott Tyson
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Monday, December 1, 2008; A01

The U.S. military expects to have 20,000 uniformed troops inside the United States by 2011 trained to help state and local officials respond to a nuclear terrorist attack or other domestic catastrophe, according to Pentagon officials.

The long-planned shift in the Defense Department's role in homeland security was recently backed with funding and troop commitments after years of prodding by Congress and outside experts, defense analysts said.

There are critics of the change, in the military and among civil liberties groups and libertarians who express concern that the new homeland emphasis threatens to strain the military and possibly undermine the Posse Comitatus Act, a 130-year-old federal law restricting the military's role in domestic law enforcement.

But the Bush administration and some in Congress have pushed for a heightened homeland military role since the middle of this decade, saying the greatest domestic threat is terrorists exploiting the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

Before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, dedicating 20,000 troops to domestic response -- a nearly sevenfold increase in five years -- "would have been extraordinary to the point of unbelievable," Paul McHale, assistant defense secretary for homeland defense, said in remarks last month at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. But the realization that civilian authorities may be overwhelmed in a catastrophe prompted "a fundamental change in military culture," he said.

The Pentagon's plan calls for three rapid-reaction forces to be ready for emergency response by September 2011. The first 4,700-person unit, built around an active-duty combat brigade based at Fort Stewart, Ga., was available as of Oct. 1, said Gen. Victor E. Renuart Jr., commander of the U.S. Northern Command.

If funding continues, two additional teams will join nearly 80 smaller National Guard and reserve units made up of about 6,000 troops in supporting local and state officials nationwide. All would be trained to respond to a domestic chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or high-yield explosive attack, or CBRNE event, as the military calls it.
    Entire article here>>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...002217_pf.html

The American Civil Liberties Union and the libertarian Cato Institute are troubled by what they consider an expansion of executive authority.

Domestic emergency deployment may be "just the first example of a series of expansions in presidential and military authority," or even an increase in domestic surveillance, said Anna Christensen of the ACLU's National Security Project. And Cato Vice President Gene Healy warned of "a creeping militarization" of homeland security.
    "There's a notion that whenever there's an important problem, that the thing to do is to call in the boys in green," Healy said, "and that's at odds with our long-standing tradition of being wary of the use of standing armies to keep the peace."
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

I've been ranting about this for months.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/0...eland_090708w/

Seems there isn't a huge amount of interest in the subject, though.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    I've been ranting about this for months.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/0...eland_090708w/

Seems there isn't a huge amount of interest in the subject, though.
    This is the first I have read of it. I am still sorting it out, I am not used to agreeing with the ACLU ...that freaks me out almost as much as a standing federal army involved in civil affairs.

Crossing the Rubicon -- another part of the Bush legacy.

Let's hope the new President has different plans.
    The United States Imports 70% of Our Oil.
    What's the Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Bullock View Post
    This is the first I have read of it. I am still sorting it out, I am not used to agreeing with the ACLU ...that freaks me out almost as much as a standing federal army involved in civil affairs.
    The shock will wear off, Kevin; then you get used to it; and eventually you like it.

Sort of like any strong taste--blue cheese, dark chocolate, red wine... all the good stuff takes some time.

--Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by backpasture View Post
    Crossing the Rubicon -- another part of the Bush legacy.

Let's hope the new President has different plans.
    I believe he is in agreement on this issue.

I'm really starting to believe we have two political parties driving us over the same cliff. Bush seems to be setting Obama up for something scary. The bailout will hand Obama a banking, insurance, and auto industry that is well on it's way to being nationalized. This military presence in our cities combined with the civilian security force Obama wants is very troubling. It may be Bush setting Obama up to cross the Rubicon. Just keep the people focused on class warfare, while the people at the top plan something much bigger. Lets see if they try to disarm us first.

Quote Originally Posted by gsc View Post
    I believe he is in agreement on this issue.
    Citation? I can't find anywhere that he has spoken one way or the other about the issue.
    The United States Imports 70% of Our Oil.
    What's the Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    The shock will wear off, Kevin; then you get used to it; and eventually you like it.

Sort of like any strong taste--blue cheese, dark chocolate, red wine... all the good stuff takes some time.

Stop it.

Depending on the scope and nature of the application, this can make a lot of sense from an emergency management/disaster response perspective.

Auntie Emme Auntie Emme It's A Twister It's A Twister Regards,

Joe S.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anais Nin