The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dog...Pheasant...Barbed Wire

Default Dog...Pheasant...Barbed Wire

I took my 16 month BLM pheasant hunting the week before thanksgiving. The was his first hunt of any kind. At the end of the second day I finally realized he new what was going on. It was a blast to watch him work as you could tell when he was on to one. Then it happen. I sent him after a cripple that apparently still had a lot a life in him. The pheasant got up and started flying very low but very fast. My boy was flying himself when I noticed he was running toward a barbed wire fence. I couldn't get to my whistle fast enough and he slammed right into it. He cut his chest and one of his front shoulders. The shoulder was pretty bad. I learned a lot of leasons at his expense on that hunt!

I took him to the vet in town and got him stitched up (In Kansas...I live in AR). This was November 22nd. He stitches in his chest are fine but most of the ones in his shoulder came out, but it doesn't look near as bad as it was before the stitches. The biggest part is probably 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide and maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 inches long. He has two speeds, which are stoped and extremely fast. I really don't think their is any way stitches will stay in as he just has so much energy. I called my vet and they said they probably wouldn't put stitches back in it, since they came out once and the wound is so old. They basically told me to watch it and try to keep it clean. My wife is going to pick up some topical cream/med. at the vet today. I tried to wrap it but that didn't work because it is so high on the shoulder. It moved down his leg after his first step. Keeping him as still as he needs to be will be a challenge by itself. Crating him probably won't help. When I not with him he just lays around. On the plus side he doesn't act like it bothers him.

Any suggestions on what you would do, put on it, clean it, etc. I may still take him to the vet, but they acted like their was little they could do and that I just need to take care of the wound.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Last edited by cstallings; 12-02-2008 at 09:11 AM.
    War Eagle's Ragin Cajun---Samson

If it has already started to heal that may be why the Vet says there is not much to do. Keep it clean using just a warm wet rag. If it starts to look infected he will need to go back to the vet. I am sure he is on some type of antibiotic to kill any infection. As far as creams, I would hold off on that. Neosporen works just as good on our dogs as it does humans.

As far as his hi level of "Get IT" I would say he needs to be on SIQ (Sick In Quarters), Military term for bed rest, until all of his wounds have atleast started to heal closed. Other than that I hope he heals up quick and gets back to business. Keep us poste don his recovery.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

HRCH Wag'in Codie Jo SH
    HRCH Mossbend's Remington Deluxe
    HRCH Double Barrel's Dust Cloud JH
    HR Doc's Heavy Artillery

My dogs get barbed wire cuts frequently, you did the right thing, if you think you need to see a vet, you probably do. But if not, my vet recommends keeping an eye on it for redness/swelling/infection and keep it moist by applying a triple antibiotic ointment a couple times a day, antibiotics are sometimes prescribed. Too much cleansing slows the healing process and scaring, it removes the new cells generated as part of the healing process. Your dog was probably shaved around his cut(s), trimming excess hair around the wound keeps the hair out of the cut and promotes healing. If you are going hunting with a fresh wound, wrap with vet wrap, the fancy tape that sticks to its self, especially if the area is on the front of the legs, if you've got a shoulder/chest wound, rig up a snug t-shirt to keep the area clean and becoming irritated by the cover.

Also if you use the vet wrap, get the white medical tape and wrap a band of the medical tape on the top and bottom of the vet wrap, but not tight. You will have to the bandage off if you wrap it this way.

I have had the same problems with my lab. She hunts so hard that fences just get in her way and she goes right through them. I have been using the EMT gel after I make sure the wound is clean. Most sporting goods stores that sell dog training supplies should have it on hand. It has the consistency of honey and helps keep the wound clean.

Novalsan(can't remember the spelling) Get the liquid and wash the wound with it. It is popular with horsemen. It is vet quality, half the price and works very good. I always have a bottle of liquid and cream in my first aid kit. I have used the cream on my own cuts too. It is really sticky and dogs don't seem to like to lick it.

The same thing happened to my lab out in South Dakota last month. He got two good rips on each knee. On on the inside, one right on the front. We hunted two+ days after he was stitched up and he ended up trowing a stitch on the gash in front. By the time i got him to our vet back home, she said in order to stitch it back up she'd have to cut away all the partially healed flesh and she recommended continuing with the ointment the first vet gave me (Animax) and extended the antibiotic pills for another 5 days. finally after 4 weeks it was healed, but it gets raw when hunting because there's no fur to protect it. It's slowly growing back.

She also gave me one of those lampshade looking collars so he wouldn't lick it.

I never kenneled him for it, just let him run around like normal.