The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tis the season....

Default Tis the season....

OLYMPIA, Wash. An atheist group has unveiled an anti-religion placard in the state Capitol, joining a Christian Nativity scene and "holiday tree" on display during December.

The atheists' sign was installed Monday by Washington members of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a national group based in Madison, Wis.

With a nod to the winter solstice the year's shortest day, occurring in late December the placard reads, in part, "There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

The foundation's co-president, Dan Barker, said it was important for atheists to offer their viewpoint alongside the overtly religious Nativity scene and Christmas-style holiday tree.

"Our members want equal time," Barker said. "Not to muscle, not to coerce, but just to have a place at the table."

The three displays, all privately sponsored, were granted permits from state groundskeepers to be placed in the Capitol's grand marble hallways.

The 25-foot noble spruce, officially called the "Capitol Holiday Kids Tree," is sponsored by the Association of Washington Business and tied to a charity drive for needy families. It's been a Capitol fixture for nearly 20 years.

Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Just another arrow for Bill O'Reilly's quiver for his faux war on Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    ? What does Bill O"reilly have to do with this
    "There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."
    being placed next to a Christian symbol.

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Bill has been in the forefront leading the charge against the secular progressive war on Christmas, which is not only a religious holiday, but a National Holiday, so enacted by Congress and signed into law by Pres U S Grant.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    Bill has been in the forefront leading the charge against the secular progressive war on Christmas, which is not only a religious holiday, but a National Holiday, so enacted by Congress and signed into law by Pres U S Grant.
    Ah ...thanks Bob I found this >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_Vlmnt1rs

I see the display for the Aethist's has been stolen.

yeah I saw that.

This is usually the time when atheists start quoting stuff like the ten commandments ...that they wanted removed from schools.
    Last edited by K.Bullock; 12-07-2008 at 11:53 AM.

I wonder how old you are? There was a time when those of us that were so inclined could celebrate a christian holiday and the birth of Jesus (spare me the actuall timing of his birth) without insult or being made to feel like insensitive jerks. There is no faux war on Christmas, it is quite real and by design.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    I wonder how old you are?
    Just ask how many tattoos &/or piercings - that'll give you a chronology!

There was a time when those of us that were so inclined could celebrate a christian holiday and the birth of Jesus (spare me the actuall timing of his birth) without insult or being made to feel like insensitive jerks. There is no faux war on Christmas, it is quite real and by design.
    Before cotts's time we used to have Christmas bazaar's in the church basement where we played bingo & won practical prizes. It was especially nice to win a cured ham which many did not have. It added variety to the diet.

When Christmas became a commercial holiday & you are not around friends & family, it's no longer the holiday of choice. Thanksgioving has stepped into that breach. But I still believe it important to impart the Christian traditions to children so they do not grow up tone deaf on the meaning of previous sacrifices made.

The Times had an article this AM about the atheists - now 122 dues paying members in their little group. The reporter gushs over the strides these people have made. Atheism has been around since I was a little guy, doesn't sound to me like much of a stride. If they want to be that way, let them, just stay out of my face.

But you have too love the print media - 2 years ago I owned this stock that owned a major paper & several TV stations, they separated the two units spun off the TV stations & sold the St Louis paper to another print media company who was salivating to go big time. They paid well, borrowed $1.5 billion to make the buy of all stock, as of the close of business Friday this company now is worth $27 million, the stock has gone from the mid 40's to $.61 per share. Love those print media people. I'm amazed they aren't trying for a bailout.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

How could people who dont believe in anything have a display about it?

As Larry The Cable Guy would say...that's just STUPID!