The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tis the season....

I think the point is it's disrespectful to put the Atheist display right next to the Christian display. It's intent to get a reaction. So they can complain about the reaction.
    LOL! It just occurred to me ... what if Muslims wanted to put up a display at Rahmadan? Would the atheists feel compelled to "speak out"?

It really seems that Christmas gets all the "display" because it is a majority of the population. As long as a government institution is willing to give display space to any religious group that would request same, it doesn't appear that the government is actually beholden in any particular religion; more like "allowing" any and all religions freedom of expression.

I would agree that the issue becomes more one of free speech.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    If you know it is their intention to get a reaction then tell me why you react. If they are ignored maybe they will go away..........................

I think we can agree that their rights are the same as the Christians. You don't see them trying to put their signs at Churches or private property. Only at government institutions. You only find it disrespectful because you don't agree with them.
    If you feel that they don't have those rights I would like to hear your reasons.

I think they have the legal right to do it. With that said just because you can do something within the law doesn't mean you should. It's rude, disrespectful, and they should get a boot in their ass for doing it. I'm not Catholic, does that mean I should go call a nun a bitch? Legally I probably can get away with it. I wouldn't because I shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    I think they have the legal right to do it. With that said just because you can do something within the law doesn't mean you should. It's rude, disrespectful, and they should get a boot in their ass for doing it. I'm not Catholic, does that mean I should go call a nun a bitch? Legally I probably can get away with it. I wouldn't because I shouldn't.
    I guess I agree with your sentiment, but I do not agree that they have a "right" to display what they displayed next to the nativity. It wasn't about simply speaking to the atheist point of view, it was put there specifically to stifle a Christian expression of faith.

They do not have the right to shut Christians up, or put Christians in their place as it seems that is their goal. Your right ..it is rude, but it is even more than that.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Kevin,

I agree with Hoosier's description of their behavior as rude. However, unless their display was in some manner defacing the nativity scene I don't see how an alternative display was an effort to prevent free expression of a Christian sentiment. Nothing was prevented other than the "atheists'" rights when their display was stolen. I put atheist in quotation marks since I find it hard to understand how a group with only 122 members could be considered as a representative of anything except itself. Blaming all atheists for the behavior of a boorish few is like condemning Christians because of the idiot church members who show up to protest every military funeral because of their belief that those death's are part of a divine retribution against our sinful ways. If I were going to look at things that are undermining the expression of the spirit of Christmas, I would worry a lot more about advertisements that define presents in terms of gifts of a new Lexus that will make your neighbors jealous than I would about stupid signs erected by insubstantial groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    It's rude, disrespectful, and they should get a boot in their ass for doing it.
    Now that is Christmassy

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Kevin,

I agree with Hoosier's description of their behavior as rude. However, unless their display was in some manner defacing the nativity scene I don't see how an alternative display was an effort to prevent free expression of a Christian sentiment.
    Why did they pick this particular day to erect the sign? Why not put it up on Valentines day?

I don't see how this was an alternative display at all. If it was in the same spirit that you described your belief about Christmas, I might buy that. However the very language of the sign was such that their intent was obvious, it was to belittle the beliefs of the people who set up the nativity during their religious holiday.

Nothing was prevented other than the "atheists'" rights when their display was stolen. I put atheist in quotation marks since I find it hard to understand how a group with only 122 members could be considered as a representative of anything except itself.
    Maybe that wasn't a Christian at all that stole their sign, it could have been another "atheist" coveting his neighbors property. ...at any rate I hope they repented.
    Blaming all atheists for the behavior of a boorish few is like condemning Christians because of the idiot church members who show up to protest every military funeral because of their belief that those death's are part of a divine retribution against our sinful ways.
    Yep, I agree and so do the Christian bikers that surround them with their Harleys to drown out their protests. Are the other "atheists" willing to stand with the Christians in saying this isn't right?
    If I were going to look at things that are undermining the expression of the spirit of Christmas, I would worry a lot more about advertisements that define presents in terms of gifts of a new Lexus that will make your neighbors jealous than I would about stupid signs erected by insubstantial groups.
    Again I agree. In a lot of ways Christians can be their own worst enemies. That does not diminish their right to practice Christianity in peace.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Jeff
    When I posted that I wasn't even thinkin about you. Even though your a lib Your actually a very fair minded guy and can recognize injustices pretty easily.. When I speak of liberal people its the extremest that I usuasually am refering to. Your not an extremest,,actually you are quite logical guy and I enjoy your posts quite abit. I would be the first one to say your a good oneand a gentleman.. Something that perplexes me

People who push their way of life on others especially when their idea's are from another planet and then accuse the victim of the transgression are the ones that drive me nuts..

There are republicans that do the same by the way and their equally annoying. But the left way out number the right in that catagory.

Pete

I

Kevin,

I agree with Hoosier's description of their behavior as rude. However, unless their display was in some manner defacing the nativity scene I don't see how an alternative display was an effort to prevent free expression of a Christian sentiment. Nothing was prevented other than the "atheists'" rights when their display was stolen. I put atheist in quotation marks since I find it hard to understand how a group with only 122 members could be considered as a representative of anything except itself. Blaming all atheists for the behavior of a boorish few is like condemning Christians because of the idiot church members who show up to protest every military funeral because of their belief that those death's are part of a divine retribution against our sinful ways. If I were going to look at things that are undermining the expression of the spirit of Christmas, I would worry a lot more about advertisements that define presents in terms of gifts of a new Lexus that will make your neighbors jealous than I would about stupid signs erected by insubstantial groups.
    There is nothing wrong with someone not believing in God. That pretty standard. Nothing new.
    But I see a problem with those who forcefull try to push their will and hatred on others and disrupt something viewed by many as wholesome.
    I would think the same thing about a christian group who rudely forced themselves on an atheiest party.

I enjoy holding discussions with atheists and they seem to enjoy my reciprication. When people are courteous there is never any harm done and sometimes good stuff comes about because of it.

Its when the hatred starts to fly is when people get pissed and no one benefits. It doesn't matter if they are christian or have no beliefs. Hatetred eats a person up from the inside out.

Motivations are incredable ovious when and why people do things. and thasts on both sides of the isle. It doesn't take a huge brain with bulging eye balls to read the writing.
    We are granted the right to hate in this country ,,,but I think it should stay in the closet and not forced down our throats,,, By either side,,,
    But I have enjoyed conversations with atheists and understand why they believe as they do.
    I might add there are many politicians full of hatred toward that which is wholesome . They hide behind their agendas

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by K.Bullock View Post
    How were the atheists rights violated?
    Don't know what your talking about, never said that there rights were violated

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Johndrow View Post
    Now that is Christmassy
    Must have been the Colt 45