The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a prayer request

Default I have a prayer request

My husband is a union plumber. He has worked for nearly all the union shops north of Seattle in the past 11 years. For the most part, he's stayed extremely busy and has to fight for time off. We've gotten quite used to his income. Now the company he has worked for for over a year is going through MAJOR layoffs. They got hugely underbid on a job they were pretty sure they had, and then lost it. Now there is so little work that 90% of their staff is getting laid off. Brad was on the phone last night with all the guys he's worked for and with in the past and has more to call today, hoping one of them can call him to their job. The way their union is set up, foremen or the shop office can name call a specific plumber to their job. He's left them all on good terms.

So here's the prayer request. Can you pray that he has a job somewhere? He's willing to travel to Seattle which on a no traffic day is over an hour, but on a typical commute will take him 2 at least. He's willing to travel to anywhere else the union might send him if they pay lodging. We recently started this debt payoff program that has us paying twice the payment on our credit cards to pay them off in less than 4 years. We're locked in now and can't change that. He'll get unemployment if he gets laid off but that's about $3-400 less a WEEK than he's used to.

This is causing us to really test our faith. He has lots of options, and he's got good friends in the union who will help out if they can, but there's about 30 people currently laid off, and about 30 more going on the list this week. I'm asking as many people as I can to pray that one of his prospects works out and we don't have to worry about how we're going to get buy with $1500 less a month.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Prayers sent.
    Dogtra Field Staff
    www.dogtra.com
    Powered by Euk Sport

Kristie Wilder

If worse comes to worse, he can go into a combat/war zone (I'm not kidding -- IF it's something he would be interested in). Here's a thread discussing it:

http://www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/KBR/...NG-JOBS/t79910

(this is about KBR, but there are other companies - and this thread gives you some good insight into it)

I actually thought about doing it (not for plumbing) after Joie died, but then remembered I have too many dogs to take care of... My boyfriend had been planning to go over as a security contractor, but has stayed here helping me out for now until I finish getting my feet under me.

If you're someone that can handle it, there's money to be made. My boyfriend is a former marine and former army reservist and iraq combat veteran. We also have a client that has a Polaris dealership over there (the first one ever in Baghdad, also has one in Dubai and is opening in Afghanistan -- fun!). And he's talked about going over to work for him. There's lots of money to be made -- but there is a risk (although not as much as you might think). Anyway... something to consider if worse comes to worse. Can do it short-term to keep yourselves caught up if you can handle the war part and if nothing else comes through.

But I'll pray for something local to come through first! Hang in there...

Especially at this time of the year, I hope for only the best for you.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot (Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Times are hard but something tells me you will pull through this. Hang in there and you and yours will be in my prayers.

Tim

Praying for your husband and any otheres whose jobs are threatened.

Kristi,
    I worked in Iraq for almost 4 years, I enjoyed the work I did over there, it was very rewarding. There are always dangers, but it depends on what the individual can deal with. If your boyfriend wants to go over there as a security contractor, he should find out exactly what the company has in mind for him. Most of our losses in the company was with the Security contractors. We use REED, Dyncorp, and a few British Security firms. Most of these men were x special forces, or retired combat MOS's. If you happen to be on the road working convoys, this is the most dangerous and where we lost most of our people. We did lose some to incoming mortar or rocket rounds, but not many. It is safer now then in 04 and 05, that is for sure, but the danger is still there. The best bet would be to get into a supervisory position where he coordinates the convoys, not riding shotgun. Believe me, there is no armor that can stop some of those IED's. I think most of the upcoming work will be in Afghanistan, as I believe that is what the President elect is going to focus most on.
    Maine - The way life should be

Prayers sent from here.

God Bless,

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Thanks guys. I doubt he'll be heading off to Iraq. He's quite the homebody and even staying away for a week would be really hard on him. I really do appreciate you guys praying for this.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Prayers sent, don't lose faith.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC