Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Gun Law Update

Default Australian Gun Law Update

Anyone up to speed on this?

Australian Gun Law Update

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts
    Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the now available data from Down Under. It has now been one year (12 months) since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.
    The first year results are now available:
    Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent;
    Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
    Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent);
    In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent as compared with the last one year period when private ownership of a firearm was legal.
    (NB: the law-abiding citizens did turn in their personal firearms, the criminal element did not and thus criminals in Australia still possess their guns.)
    While data for the 25 years preceding the confiscation of privately owned guns showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months as criminals now are assured their victims will be unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns.'

This story of well intentioned government intervention in the rights of lawful individuals to own and possess firearms won't be seen in the mainstream US media or on the American evening news. Senator Obama who advocates a similar confiscation in the US will not be reporting any of this to you.

But, the Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Americans may want to take note before it's too late!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

well said sadly this will be mis read by some on this board and will start a huge fight with someone I'm sure but when they come knock down my door requesting my guns I will give em up bullets first.

Smitty
    WTF WAS WE THINKING I.E American Voters

It's been more than a year. This "statistical" proof has been around the internet for quite a while now.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

the Aussies i know still have guns for hunting.

a shotgun is THE best home protection firearm; lethal at "in the room" distances and not as likely to kill the guy or gal next door. and you just point it instead of aiming, which is tricky at those adrenaline levels....-paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post

a shotgun is THE best home protection firearm; lethal at "in the room" distances and not as likely to kill the guy or gal next door. and you just point it instead of aiming, which is tricky at those adrenaline levels....-paul
    a couple of years ago i was about 20 seconds too late in catching two Obama voters in my den with my 870 with a 14" barrel and buckshot.

apparently, once inside they looked up and thought: "hmmmm....bobcat, deer, duck - two 4x4 trucks in front - barking labs on back patio - these are red-neck white boys with guns! bad choice!"

saw them just 80 yds down the street and put the sights of my sons .22 on them but i knew better - ooooooh man how i wanted to place a shot on the pavement about 3 feet away from them just to laugh as they ran for cover.

Does that mean this report is false? Someone sent it to me, and I'm just sharing, but it makes sense to me that the addage, "With Guns...........We Are "Citizens".
    Without Them........We Are "Subjects" would tend to hold water.

Another good read is http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 12-05-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

True, but I believe all pumps and autoloaders have been conficated and are illegal.
    HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart (Little Guy)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006. I miss you, buddy.
    and HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008. I miss you, Baby Girl.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by surfgeoD300 View Post
    my 870 with a 14" barrel and buckshot.
    Great thing about the 870 is you don't even need the buck shot. When I was in grad school, I lived in an attic apartment in a bad neighborhood (the price was right). The downstairs door was one of those glass panel things with my main door at the top of the stairs.

One night is was up late studying and I heard the glass break downstairs and two guys coming up the stairs. I positioned myself opposite the upper door and racked a shell into the 870. The fairly unmistakable sound coming from the other side of the door they were just about to open made them drop their crowbar and run.

It's been about 15 years ago when I came home early from a fishing tournament at about 3:00 PM on a blistering hot July day (maybe 95 or 97 deg.) I just missed surprising some burglars at my house. I usually went inside the house through the back door when I had the boat on the truck and that required me to walk past the heat pump on my way to the door. Just as I walked by the heat pump/AC it kicked on as I took a few more steps and rounded the corner I saw the rear door of the house had been kicked in and was off it's hinges. They got all my guns and most anything that could be pawned like TV's jewelry and the usual stuff theifs like. By the way I had my hand gun in my waste band in my concealed carry holster. I just missed them! Oh well.

It would have been open season on bad guys if I had of been a few minutes early and caught them carrying an armload of guns out the door.

As a footnote to this story. I had all the serial numbers of the guns and as a result about 5 years after this I got one of the guns back and about 10 years after I got another gun back. Perhaps I'll see another one some day. So keep all the serial numbers to all your guns somewhere where you can get to them, like at someone elses house.
    The More I Learn About People ,The More I Love My Dog!

A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting in jail beside you saying "DAMN that was fun!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Does that mean this report is false? Someone sent it to me, and I'm just sharing, but it makes sense to me that the addage, "With Guns...........We Are "Citizens".
    Without Them........We Are "Subjects" would tend to hold water.

Another good read is http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

Evan
    All it means Evan is these Snopes characters are a bunch of bleeding heart libs. All these statistics mean is whatever those of us that are God fearing real Americans, not the fake kind like those loons on the left are, say they mean. God bless America.

Mac
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.