The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama says: No need to stock up on Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post

Legacy, I hate to type. So read the links I suggested on google, and figure it out for yourself.
    Australia,... USA,... apples and oranges. No comparasion.
    We have an Amendment to our Constitution that they do not.
    I don't think it really matters if we have a Constitution or not. Here's a few reasons why:

1) Many Liberals feel the Constitution is a living document in the sense that anything they THINK doesn't fit their ideals anymore can jsut be erased. Also, amny of them don't know what the Constitution SAYS, and have never read it, don't care to, and also don't care what it says.

2) The bottom line, with or without a Constitution, the People of Australia have NO right to the freedom of owning guns. Do you think if President Obama, or anyone else in power ever passed a "I'm going to take all your guns and ammo" law, it would matter if we have/had a Constitution or not?

I don't think so either JD. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Richard
    Legacy 6

Legacy's Lady Jade "Jade" (d. 23JUNE08)
    Legacy's Tallgrass of Natoma "Natti"

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy 6 View Post
    I don't think it really matters if we have a Constitution or not. Here's a few reasons why:

I think it matters a great deal that we have a Constitution, a Bill of Rights, and numerous amendments to that document, and specifically the 2nd amendment, that does not exist in any other country.

1) Many Liberals feel the Constitution is a living document in the sense that anything they THINK doesn't fit their ideals anymore can jsut be erased. Also, amny of them don't know what the Constitution SAYS, and have never read it, don't care to, and also don't care what it says.

Yes, I have read it. If you haven't lately, allow me to quote it to you; specifically the 2nd Amendment.
    AMENDMENT 2:
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Pretty simple statement ain't it. Open to interpretation? You betcha. Maybe that's why so many 'liberals' and yes, conservatives, view it so differently. Maybe, L6, just maybe, that's why a separation of powers was devised in the Constitution. To allow for interpretaton by the Judicial branch as situations and times evolved. Is that what you mean by 'living document'? If not, would it only then refer to a 'well regulated militia'?

2) The bottom line, with or without a Constitution, the People of Australia have NO right to the freedom of owning guns. Do you think if President Obama, or anyone else in power ever passed a "I'm going to take all your guns and ammo" law, it would matter if we have/had a Constitution or not?
    Yes, I believe that our Constitution, and it's second amendment, as it has been interpreted by the Supeme Court, would not allow a 'take all your guns and ammo' ruling to be implemented. A 'buy back' scenario ala Australia is a possibility, but I doubt that most would comply.

I don't think so either JD.

Think otherwise L6. I used to build and fire black powder cannons. I once had the police show up at my door at 1:30am in the midst of an anniversary party because they had a report of an 'explosion'. They wanted very badly to enter my premises to 'investigate'. I told them that it most likely was a cannon report that had been reported, and if they waited on the porch, I would look to see if the cannon and its owner were still present. When I went back out, I reportd to them that the cannon owner had left, but left behind his cannon. I surrendered to them a small 1/2 inch steel pipe with a cap on one end and a fuse hole bored in it. they grinned like they had solved the crime of the century, and departed.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    And thanks for your's too.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift