The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrecked SUV

Default Wrecked SUV

Just wanted to bring something to mind for all of us dog people. A couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I were on our way to Williston, FL to do some training on the great grounds of the Jax. club. A trash truck ran us off the road and after rolling one and a half times we came to a stop. Trash truck kept going. A person behind us stopped to help. He said he almost took out a tree avoiding the truck, but was able to save his.
    Once we stopped, we checked each other out and both of us were fine. Only a very small scratch on both of us from climbing out of the broken window. Both front doors were jammed. I turned off the ignition, (yep, sitting on its side, still running). I asked her if she could get out, and she said yes, so I said I would check on Missy. She was in the back in her crate. I climbed out and jumped to the ground (passenger side was now the top). I pictured Missy out running around, scared and cut, in the middle of the road...or dead. I got to the back and the window was also broken out. Looked in and she was still in her crate, door bent and wedged sideways in a way that blocked her exit. My daughter jumped down and we threw a towel over the broken glass and worked her cage around so we could get her out. She jumped out. Not a scratch on her. She didn't even act scared. She took quite a ride because her metal bowl was smashed flat. Called Chad and Mike (was meeting them to train), they came and made sure we were ok and took Missy to train. Did several Open type water blinds with her and said she did great. Go figure.
    Well, I say all this the get here. If Missy had been riding free, she would be dead now, I know it. Having her in that cage saved her life.

Just a thought for all.

HRCH Missy SH

I'm glad you all made it. I hope the guy behind you got the license of the trash truck.

We had a roll-over near us this week (winter weather likely the cause) - a young mother and her child on a county road (deep ditches, no shoulders). The baby did fine in a car seat. The mother was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the car and killed. Sad.

wow...glad all are ok! Good thought on the crate...sometimes I let my pup ride up front with me....
    Muddy Waters Retriever Club

Trails End Goldens

Proudly owned by:
    HR Montana's Golden Retrieves (11/20/99-8/28/07) Miss you sweetheart
    Quake's Tuckin for Cover (01/28/04 - 9/28/05) Hunt em up little buddy.
    HRCH Super Cell Eye of the Storm MH (01/07/06 - )
    Trails End Ms. October (09/14/08)

Brother,
    When Chad and I rounded that curve and saw your Suv on its side, bumpers and glass all over the place and your shotguns laying on the ground, I simply said 2 words---"Oh Shit!"

Glad you guys were not hurt, I think Missy just needed to streach her legs after being rolled like that .

Mike

Glad you all are ok!

A couple of years ago on Labor Day weekend there was a bad accident coming into Skagit County on I-5. An Explorer was completely destroyed, but the plastic crate inside is what saved that dogs life.

To me, a dog crate for the dogs is much like a car seat for a kid. I'm so glad you guys and the dog are alright.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

OMG, I am so glad you guys were okay, and Missy to boot!

I have a friend who is a labrador breeder. She tells a story of a "roll-over" accident with an SUV on I-5 or 405 in southern California where the car actually cart-wheeled and a plastic Vari-Kennel type crate with the dog inside went flying across 4 lanes of traffic, slamming against the center median before coming to a complete stop. Turns out that the dog inside had just come back from being bred in northern California and went on to whelp 8 healthy pups a bit more than 2 months later. The only thing that likely saved her (and her pups for that matter) was that hard plastic Vari-Kennel. There is a reason why that is one of the few crates on the market "authorized" for airline travel....they are MUCH safer than most others. For this reason, and this reason alone, I never travel without my dogs in those tough but ugly plastic crates...even for just a few miles. Better safe than sorry, I think.

Thank you so much for sharing your horrible story with us. If it helps prevent just one person from keeping their dog tethered in the back of a car/truck, then it is VERY much worth it.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Glad to hear you are okay - sometimes I do not put my old man in a crate and let him ride up front.....but you are 110% correct he should be in a crate, even for those quick trips to the store.

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I'm so glad you guys and Missy are okay!!! How blessed you were--this is exactly the type of thing that worries me sick. No matter how defensive we drive there is always some idiot out there with no regard for others.

I worry about the fiberglass topper withstanding a rollover with my truck--Dodge 2500 Diesel 3/4 ton. Matter of fact I drive my husband bonkers trying to reinforce the crates. He thinks I'm over-reacting. You should see his face when I seat belt little Weezie's tiny crate in the back seat.

I have two crates in the back of the truck the boys ride in at all times, even to the store. Both are bolted to the platform they sit on--I had my father in law--who made the platform bolt the platform into the bed of the truck. Our topper is not only clamped down, but bolted as well. I'm seriously thinking about bolting the crates to the side of the truck bed with a "U" bolt--this is causing some grief to the hubby as we would have to do some drilling to the truck bed. As paranoid as it sounds I also have one of those handy dandy little window busters in the event we ever go off the road into water, hold this pencil like thing to the window, push a button and the window shatters.

Anybody out there have any other suggestions on crates riding in the back of pick ups?

safety first regards!!

I am a car seat tech (I teach parents how to use their car seats correctly) and one of the conversations I have with families all the time is that a dog (especially a lab) in the passenger seat usually is heavy enough for the air bag to be activated.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.