The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doin' the Doggie Dance

Default Doin' the Doggie Dance

Man heat cycles are a pain in the buttocks. With a female in heat and a male I gotta cycle them through the garage and house three times a day to do their bidness outside. If I take her out where he can see and smell her he goes berserk. So I take her out of the garage, put her in the house, go get him and put him in the garage where he immediately begins liking the floor where she's been. Take her outside to air, put her in her kennel, go around to the garage, put him in the house, go get her and put her in the garage, then take him out to air where he goes frantic smelling and licking her "spots". The male is trying to chew through the kennel wire, has all the straw raked out of both houses, won't eat, has been trying to dig out through the wooden kennel deck and barks constantly if he is outside alone. Whatta pain. Man will I be glad when this is over.
    I think they were all made to shoot because if they were not why did they give them that whirr of wings that moves you suddenly more than any love of country . . . I think that they were made to shoot and some of us were made to shoot them and if that is not so well, never say we did not tell you that we liked it.

E. Hemingway

Which is why I neutered my male finally and stick with only females now, with them all living in the house, it was chaos with heat cycles, keeping them separate, the howling, marking, etc. There were times when studmuffin slept in the dog truck just for some peace for everyone. I don't envy you the next couple of weeks!
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I cannot imagin. I have all females, so when one comes in they all come in. Plus they come in only once a year. Joe
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09

I also only keep girls here (do co-own one boy but he doesn't live here), same reason, though I had a stud here in Sept for my current litter so have a flavor of what you are going through.

Have you considered sending her (or him) to a boarding kennel? Might be worth it!!!!! I know of some who send their boys off to the trainers for refresher courses when hormones are due. Anne

i can feel you pain as well, I had a male shepherd that would not eat, sleep or stay still while my female was in heat. those couple weeks were crazy.

I had a female in heat once, I put her in a wire kennel and locked my boy in the bedroom because I had to go out for just a while. When I got home the door frame to the bedroom was completely demolished. He tore it to pieces, and he dug a hole as wide as the front of the kennel completely through the carpet and pad and down to the floor decking underneath. He never did get in that wire kennel though. I still can't remember why I didn't beat him to death. Oh! yeah, now I remember, because I was the dumb arse that left him in the house with a bitch in heat.

They will tear your stuff up regards,
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post
    I had a female in heat once, I put her in a wire kennel and locked my boy in the bedroom because I had to go out for just a while. When I got home the door frame to the bedroom was completely demolished. He tore it to pieces, and he dug a hole as wide as the front of the kennel completely through the carpet and pad and down to the floor decking underneath. He never did get in that wire kennel though. I still can't remember why I didn't beat him to death. Oh! yeah, now I remember, because I was the dumb arse that left him in the house with a bitch in heat.

They will tear your stuff up regards,
    I'd pay money to have a picture of your face when you saw that.
    Rainbow's November Rain MH***
    Freeridin' Whiskey River Don't Run Dry***

Smile

Welcome to the World of Boys and Girls! I have five girls and one old very experienced Male.... Yes I have two wings off the back of my house...One is the Girls and at the far end is Bubba's. His room comes complete with a wire crate...Must admit though his manners are outstanding...He only barks on "The Day of Importance" the other days he mostly just stares and wags the tail. We don't need progesterone testing in our house...Bubba let's us know. If he barks and sings...well That's the day.
    Other than that I can let them all out together as long as no one is in heat...All get along ...and all sleep on their own beds. Bubba won't get off his for fear of losing his favorite spot....Honestly I have to drag him outside 4 times a day...unless I get the bumpers out...and then he beats me to the door...But it's kind of like that old joke between the Young Bull and the Old Bull...Bubba's an old pro...and takes it all in stride...How I love my gang!
    Redstar Bloux Wing Masterpiece - ART
    www.Redstarkennels.us

Livin' a trailer in the forest, down by the river

LOL,I've gotta get over there and meet Bubba.......PACO
    Train for Total Confidence not Total Compliance
    ------------->"Let 'em Roll"<--------------
    4xGMPR HRCH Sauble River "Gator"
    GMPR HRCH HRKs Liberators Outlaw "Rondo" SH
    GMPR VeraGators Smokin' Diablo of G'Force "Smokey"
    ---> Outlaw Upland~Waterfowl Labs <---

Quote Originally Posted by mad hunter View Post
    i can feel you pain as well, .....