RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Doin' the Doggie Dance

4K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  North Mountain 
#1 ·
Man heat cycles are a pain in the buttocks. With a female in heat and a male I gotta cycle them through the garage and house three times a day to do their bidness outside. If I take her out where he can see and smell her he goes berserk. So I take her out of the garage, put her in the house, go get him and put him in the garage where he immediately begins liking the floor where she's been. Take her outside to air, put her in her kennel, go around to the garage, put him in the house, go get her and put her in the garage, then take him out to air where he goes frantic smelling and licking her "spots". The male is trying to chew through the kennel wire, has all the straw raked out of both houses, won't eat, has been trying to dig out through the wooden kennel deck and barks constantly if he is outside alone. Whatta pain. Man will I be glad when this is over.

#2 ·
Which is why I neutered my male finally and stick with only females now, with them all living in the house, it was chaos with heat cycles, keeping them separate, the howling, marking, etc. There were times when studmuffin slept in the dog truck just for some peace for everyone. I don't envy you the next couple of weeks!

#3 ·
I cannot imagin. I have all females, so when one comes in they all come in. Plus they come in only once a year. Joe

#4 ·
I also only keep girls here (do co-own one boy but he doesn't live here), same reason, though I had a stud here in Sept for my current litter so have a flavor of what you are going through.

Have you considered sending her (or him) to a boarding kennel? Might be worth it!!!!! I know of some who send their boys off to the trainers for refresher courses when hormones are due. Anne

#6 ·
I had a female in heat once, I put her in a wire kennel and locked my boy in the bedroom because I had to go out for just a while. When I got home the door frame to the bedroom was completely demolished. He tore it to pieces, and he dug a hole as wide as the front of the kennel completely through the carpet and pad and down to the floor decking underneath. He never did get in that wire kennel though. I still can't remember why I didn't beat him to death. Oh! yeah, now I remember, because I was the dumb arse that left him in the house with a bitch in heat.

They will tear your stuff up regards,

#8 ·
Welcome to the World of Boys and Girls! I have five girls and one old very experienced Male.... Yes I have two wings off the back of my house...One is the Girls and at the far end is Bubba's. His room comes complete with a wire crate...Must admit though his manners are outstanding...He only barks on "The Day of Importance" the other days he mostly just stares and wags the tail. We don't need progesterone testing in our house...Bubba let's us know. If he barks and sings...well That's the day.
Other than that I can let them all out together as long as no one is in heat...All get along ...and all sleep on their own beds. Bubba won't get off his for fear of losing his favorite spot....Honestly I have to drag him outside 4 times a day...unless I get the bumpers out...and then he beats me to the door...But it's kind of like that old joke between the Young Bull and the Old Bull...Bubba's an old pro...and takes it all in stride...How I love my gang!

#9 ·
LOL,I've gotta get over there and meet Bubba.......PACO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.