The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting season/Dealing with idiots GDG

Default Hunting season/Dealing with idiots GDG

In light of some hunting stories and threads about self protection, I have a story to share with RTF, involving property rights, hunting season and a different approach to solving a serious problem.

For the first time 12 years we have had a quiet—no trespassers shotgun season Our county is heavily wooded with crop fields scattered all throughout—perfect deer country. There is a group of ‘hunters’, in reality they know nothing about hunting, who have a camp 1 mile down the road from our 40 acre home place. They are notorious trespassers, love to drive around with loaded guns and alcohol and will set up along property lines driving deer out and shooting anything that moves. My husband does not hunt our home place he hunts at our other farms, so I am home alone every deer season. I don’t let the dogs out of my sight, can’t train in my fields, ect…. Extreme? Hardly--4 years ago this ‘merry band of idiots’, the main one being a neighbors 40 yr. old son, was out on our north property line when I heard a bunch of shooting and slugs went flying over my head as I was walking with the dogs, on leash, 200 yards from my house on the pond dam. I then did something not very smart, I ran back up to the house, jumped in the truck and drove the to the north property line. This group of 10 fully armed guys, drinking beer, was standing on my property along the road. I got out of the truck and confronted them—absolutely furious and not thinking straight. I cussed them worse then any sailor or Blago could ever cuss and I got right in a big fat ones face. One particularly nasty piece of hillbilly garbage, in total grossness, whips out his wee wee and urinates towards my truck tire—my reply was “They have pills for that problem a@#$H*&.”--which then led into another shouting match. Another neighbor who was hunting, heard the commotion and showed up—most likely why they left--his wife called the game warden. They got in their trucks and left. I then called the sheriff, explained what had happened and listened to his good old boy crap for 20 minutes. (Remember this is Illinois folks—the good olde boy network) The game warden showed up the next day, the sheriff did nothing. Our mailbox was demolished that night. One month later I got an anonymous letter, threatening me, my family and the dogs. The reference to the dogs both terrified me and made me see red, about matched my hair color. So I did the one thing I could do, my husband, who at this point is really pissed, and I responded to the letter in a professional manner (really no cuss words) and sent it and a copy of the threatening letter to every homeowner in a 3 mile radius. Including the neighbor (whom I have always adored and despite this still speak to-it is not their fault) whose son is the ringleader of this group (of course we sent it to him as well!) Needless to say the neighbors were very supportive and outraged. Some who have lived here forever spoke to the sheriff. These guys were now being watched by everyone and were thrown off of two farms(completely, as in your family is no longer farming this ground). For the next 3 years our mailbox was destroyed each deer season and I never let the dogs out of my sight, ever. We have a friend who is a deputy and he comes by the house for a once a week drive thru-still. The game warden makes a visit to their camp like clockwork each shotgun season and they are the laughing stock of all the camps in the area. This year we have a mailbox, I still drive the roads and carefully watch this group. It’s been quiet and no one is trespassing. We had 3 big 140+ bucks on the deer cam at home this year—a first. Could it have been a terrible incident-yes. Was I not very bright-yes. But sometimes the old fashioned way of publicly shaming people still works.
    Last edited by Pals; 12-12-2008 at 12:35 PM.

That's horrible thing that happend, and it's those type of idiots that ruin it for the rest of us. Ever thought of getting/hiding one of the hunting recording cameras out by the mailbox? I suggest always keeping an insignifigant piece of junk mail in it at all times, I think it then becomes a federal manner?
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Rational thinking is sometimes overwhelmed by emotions, with tragic results.
    Congratulations, for your well thiught out and executed plan, and with the desired results!
    Tom MOUER

Kutos to you Nancy, your proof that its better to fight with your brain than fist sometimes. If only i had learned that years ago!

Kevin
    "SR Isabel's Going for gold"
    "Kallie's Anatomy Of Grey"

Both lazy house pets untill you ask, "do you want to go play"!

Install one of those infared cameras near your mailbox. Might catch em in the act.

Thoughts and Prayers for you and yours.

God Bless,

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

I always like how when people are losing their mailboxes that when they put up a new one they line them with concrete and it puts the hurt on the dork that hit it!

I like the way she operates . If you need assistance , let me know . In exchange for security ,I'd kike to hunt those 140 class whitetails . VENISON - LESS FILLING - TASTES GREAT
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

We made it--all the way through gun season and still have our mailbox and no slugs stuck in the siding of the house!! The neighbors up the road didn't have to replace their big picture window either--it was shot out last year.

The funny thing was last year they just didn't knock our mailbox down they pulverized it--backed over it about 10 times. I thought it was pretty funny, talk about overkill--what a bunch of morons. Don't want to waste the deer cams on the mailbox, would rather watch the deer and other critters.

Sorry John--two of the big boys were taken with bow. A very nice young man and his uncle got them. Still have a big guy--10 pointer right below the house, hanging out in the wetland and the farm across the steet. The dogs spotted him yesterday about 3, he just slowly walked away into the woods, Ryder watched him for about 5 minutes--never barked or took off after him--just watched him. With any luck he will be a monster come next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    We made it--all the way through gun season and still have our mailbox and no slugs stuck in the siding of the house!! The neighbors up the road didn't have to replace their big picture window either--it was shot out last year.

The funny thing was last year they just didn't knock our mailbox down they pulverized it--backed over it about 10 times. I thought it was pretty funny, talk about overkill--what a bunch of morons. Don't want to waste the deer cams on the mailbox, would rather watch the deer and other critters.

Sorry John--two of the big boys were taken with bow. A very nice young man and his uncle got them. Still have a big guy--10 pointer right below the house, hanging out in the wetland and the farm across the steet. The dogs spotted him yesterday about 3, he just slowly walked away into the woods, Ryder watched him for about 5 minutes--never barked or took off after him--just watched him. With any luck he will be a monster come next year.
    Ok , keep me in mind for next year .I use sticks and string too !!
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com