The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Longest time from temp drop to first whelp?

Melanie Foster

Default Longest time from temp drop to first whelp?

From everything I've read and experienced, once a bitch's temperature drops you can count on her beginning to whelp within 24 hours. What is your experience with this?

I ask because this week that did not happen. My girl's temp dropped to 97.6 at noon on Wednesday so of course I'm up all night long waaaaaiting. By 2 pm Thursday there was a whole lotta nothing going on and I was starting to get anxious.

I called the vet who I am communicating with via a vet tech and I describe what is going on. The vet tech proceeds to tell me my bitch is not in hard labor yet. Um, as the saying goes, no sh#t Sherlock. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase.

Pups finally starting arriving at 7 pm and once they got rolling, all was fine. 11 in a little over 4 hours.

So what's the deal? I mean, at 97.6 that was clearly the drop of her temperature. Anyone know what would cause the whelping to be delayed like that? Has this happened to you? It was a new one on me.

Myunderstanding is that it is approx. 24-36 hours. My last litter was about 32 hours.

T. Mac

I had one that was at least 40 hrs from detected temp drop to first pup. I think my average is at least 24 at this point.

I have read that the temp drop MAY correspond to progesterone drop which is needed to get the whelp/detachment etc going but don't know how accurate that is.

At least yours got down to biz once she got going!!! That's nice! My recent 7 in less than 3 hrs was as fast of a whelp as I'd had in a long time.

I went to a Dr. Hutchinson seminar and he stated that is was not the temperature drop, but actually the rise in temperature AFTER the drop that determines when a bitch is going to whelp. He said the temp can stay down for a long time, but expect pups in 4 to 6 hours after the rise back to 100 or over.

I haven't tested this myself.

Marcy

Melanie Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    I went to a Dr. Hutchinson seminar and he stated that is was not the temperature drop, but actually the rise in temperature AFTER the drop that determines when a bitch is going to whelp. He said the temp can stay down for a long time, but expect pups in 4 to 6 hours after the rise back to 100 or over.

I haven't tested this myself.

Marcy
    Wow, that is interesting. Great info...thanks! I wish I had posted my question yesterday; I could have given it a test run.

I had no idea their temperature went back up. I always stopped checking after the drop.

You would think I would know most of this stuff by now.

Congratulations!!! HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

I've gotten to the point where I ignore the temperature drop because it just drives me crazy. I've had it go down 48+ hours ahead of whelping. This time I'm actually going to try WhelpWise for the first time although that is more because my litter is due at Christmas and I lost a pup in my last litter because I didn't know it was there. Good luck on yours. Hopefully your pups have now arrived.

I have stretched it to 24-48 after numerous bitches whelping normally like yours after 24 hours. However, never trust them so I still sleep near them. I have had no drop on some, or if it ocurred I missed it, and I have had some that needed to drop below 98. Usually my normal drop is below 99.0. Once they drop I don't continue taking it-maybe they do rise but I thought Dr Hutchinson also indicated that a drop and rise and no pups was not a good sign (probably > 6 hours then)
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

The last temp I had recorded was 8 hrs before whelp began, and she was still 98.6F. Shortly after that, she did get restless enough that I knew we were turning the corner.