The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst college coaching jobs in America GDG

Default Worst college coaching jobs in America GDG

I used to think that U.K.basketball, Notre Dame football and Alabama football were the worst college coaching jobs in the world. Fans and alumni consider the season a failure if no National Championship.
    Now I have to add Auburn football to top the list. Absolutely unrealistic expectations. Tubberville went undefeated in 2004 and averaged 8.5 wins over 10 years in the SEC. Beat Alabama 6 in a row and after a loss this year gets fired.
    Get real!

Could be worse. It can't be any fun being a football coach at Duke, knowing that every time your team takes the field you are outclassed at the majority of positions, and you are expected to win.

Auburn has just confirmed that Gene Chezik is the new head coach. Curious.

Eric

I think you have to put Syracuse football up in that list. This program has been a bottom dweller now for a good six yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    I used to think that U.K.basketball, Notre Dame football and Alabama football were the worst college coaching jobs in the world. Fans and alumni consider the season a failure if no National Championship.
    Now I have to add Auburn football to top the list. Absolutely unrealistic expectations. Tubberville went undefeated in 2004 and averaged 8.5 wins over 10 years in the SEC. Beat Alabama 6 in a row and after a loss this year gets fired.
    Get real!

Hard to fee too bad for Tuberville, on a couple of accounts. First, he's receiving a $6M settlement which ought to sooth any feelings, 2nd you may recall when Tuberville was at Ole Ms, he held a press conference on Saturday afternoon saying he had decided he was staying there - that he & his family felt like Ole Miss was family. On Sunday morning he was at an Auburn press conference accepting the job after sneaking out of Oxford on Sat night. Hard to feel too bad for him.

Just goes to show what goes around, comes around. Now we can just add Auburn to the same list of those willing to sacrifice ethics for winning at any costs.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy;371540.
    Now we can just add Auburn to the same list of those willing to sacrifice ethics for winning at any costs.
    Sadly a list that is much too long and driven by alumni of those institutions who give big bucks and in return expect some level of control over the football programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Get real!
    He didnt' get fired because he lost to Alabama IMO, although another win over this year's 10-0 (at that point) Bama team might have temporarily saved his job (maybe). This season was a trainwreck and it wasn't just the losing. The way everything went with Tony Franklin it just seemed like old Wingnut was losing control. Nothing seemed to be handled in a professional manner. Very strange. I HATE auburn, but I think old Ears is a solid coach and certainly a solid defensive coach. It seemed like his assistants left or were fired too often to have much continuity.

I do agree that auburn seems to have somewhat unrealistic expectations and a somewhat unrealistic view of themselves. They certainly benefitted from a weak Alabama team for a number of years. Now that Bama is back, that does not bode well for auburn from a recruiting standpoint, although auburn always does a good job of recruiting outside of the state, particularly in Georgia.

The fact that auburn fans have an unrealistic view of their program doesn't make them particularly unusual in the world of college football or in the SEC. South Carolina takes the cake on that one. However, if you just go to a bowl game most years you would never get fired in SC.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Iowa State

Washington. No current talent, PAC -10 dominated by USC, then you have Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, UCLA, etc. Impossible to recruit from surrounding areas. Arizonas and Nevada both have better looking programs.

Army......coaching men who are destined for military careers where football is probably not their top priority, not even sure if they offer athletic scholarships or not
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"